Global Infection Control Market - 2019-2026
Global Infection Control Market Overview:
Infections are primarily caused by microorganisms such as bacteria, virus, and fungi. Infections can be of different types such as Hospital Acquired Infections (HAIs), stomach and intestinal infections, eye infections, ear infections, lung and respiratory infections, skin infections and sexually transmitted infections caused by the cross infection from equipment, surface and skin of patient and healthcare staff. Infection prevention and control is carried out to prevent the transmission of communicable disease. The major HAIs are ventilator associated pneumonia, infections in blood stream and catheter-associated urinary tract infection (UTI).
According to World Health Organization (WHO), HAIs have a huge effect on the mortality rates globally. As per National Nosocomial Infection Surveillance (NNIS), 40% of the HAIs in US are UTIs caused by catheterization and CA-bacteriuria and it is the most common HAI globally. In 2017, WHO issued a practical guide for prevention and control of HAIs. The guideline ranges from standard precautions such as hand hygiene, staying up-to-date with immunizations, covering while coughing and sneezing, using protective clothing such as gloves and masks and always keeping tissues and hand cleaners handy. WHO started ‘Save Lives: Clean your hands’ initiative aimed at spreading awareness regarding maintenance of hand hygiene globally.
The global infection control market will exhibit an XX% CAGR from 2019 to 2026, having estimated market share of US $ XX billion by 2026.
Global Infection Control Market Drivers:
The major drivers fueling the market are high incidence of HAIs, increasing number of surgical procedures, growing geriatric population, increasing cases of chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, obesity, heart and respiratory disorders and growing need for food sterilization and disinfection.
According to WHO, out of every 100 individuals hospitalized globally at any given time, 10 in developing countries and 7 in developed countries are likely to acquire HAIs. Moreover, as per Administration on Aging, 48.3 million individuals in US are aged 65 years and above in 2018 and this population is expected to double in size by 2060. The elderly population is more prone to acquiring infections due to decrease in the immunity of an individual. Three out of four individuals aged above 65 are suffering from multiple chronic diseases.
Global Infection Control Market Restraints:
Concerns regarding safety of reprocessed instruments like catheters are going to restrain the market in the forecast period.
Global Infection Control Market Segmentation:
The infection control market is segmented by product as Disinfection Products, Sterilization Products, Protective Barriers, Endoscope Reprocessing Products and Others. Disinfection Products are further segmented into Disinfectants, Disinfection Equipment and Disinfection and Cleaning Acessories. Disinfectants are further segmented as Skin Disinfectants, Hand Disinfectants and Instrument Disinfectants, Disinfection Equipment are further segmented as UV Ray Disinfectors, Ultrasonic Cleaners, Flusher Disinfectors and Others. Sterilization Products are further sub-segmented into Sterilization Equipment, Consumables & Accessories, Sterilization Indicators and Packaging Accessories. Sterilization Equipment are further segmented as Heat Sterilization Equipment, Low-Temperature Sterilization, Radiation Sterilization and Others. Protective barriers are further segmented as Surgical Drapes, Surgical Gowns, Face Masks and Others. By end users the market is segmented as diagnostic laboratories, academic institutions, clinics, and hospitals.
According to Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), UV ray disinfectors are most efficient in infection control in operation theaters as they are most effective in inactivation of microorganisms. When bacteria, viruses and protozoa are exposed to the germicidal wavelengths of UV light, they are rendered incapable of reproducing and infecting. Hence disinfectors segment is expected to dominate the market in the period of forecast.
Heat sterilization is expected to grow at the highest rate because of ease of set-up, recurrent usability, and cost-effectiveness. Moist heat sterilization is among the oldest sterilization techniques in the medical and food industries. Moist heat sterilizers are used to sterilize equipment used in microbiology, medicine, veterinary sciences, mycology, dentistry, and prosthetic fabrication, as well as the food processing industry.
Global Infection Control Market Geographical Analysis:
Geographically, the global infection control market is divided into North America, Europe, South America, Asia-Pacific and rest of the world.
North America is expected to dominate the infection control market over the period of forecast because of rise in the geriatric population, increase in the prevalence of chronic diseases and HAIs. According to CDC, one out of every 10 patients in US who are treated with chemotherapy gets an infection, that needs a hospital visit and as per U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HSS), one in every 20 infections in the U.S. is a HAI.
Asia-Pacific region is expected to grow at the highest CAGR in the near future due to rise in infection cases and many government and non-government organizations working towards infection control. According to Beijing Centre for Disease Prevention and Control, in 2018, Beijing witnessed 22 norovirus infection cases in children from middle and elementary school and even kindergarten. There was 6.7% rise in the number of cases from 2017. Asia Pacific Society of Infection Control (APSIC) is multi-national voluntary organization dedicated to the advancement of infection control practice to reduce hospital associated infections, monitor and control emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases and improved patient outcomes throughout the Asia Pacific region.
Global Infection Control Market Competitive Analysis:
Some of the key players in the global infection control market are Getinge AB, STERIS plc, Advanced Sterilization Products, 3M Company, Belimed AG, Cantel Medical Corporation, MMM Group, Matachana Group, Sotera Health LLC and Metrex Research Corporation. Few of the key developmnets of the major companies in the infection control market include –
• In November 2018, Cantel Medical, acquired Omnia S.p.A., a dental surgical consumables company. This acquisition is expected to accelerate Cantel’s presence in the dental infection prevention market in Italy and other European countries.
• In October 2018, Getinge AB launched the new surgical light Maquet PowerLED II, with an antibacterial coating to help prevent the spread of infections.
• In August 2018, Nelson Laboratories, a division of Sotera Health, acquired Gibraltar Laboratories. This strengthened its portfolio of infection control test services for pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturing companies.
• In September 2018, Getinge launched S-8668T Washer-Disinfector, a new addition to the Getinge 86 Series.
• In August 2018, Cantel Medical Corporation acquired the Stericycle, Inc.’s Controlled Environmental Solutions business for $17 million, with an aim to strengthen its infection control and prevention solution portfolio.
• In May 2018, Getinge’s next-generation of steam sterilizers, developed specifically for biomedical research and pharmaceutical production are launched in ACHEMA 2018, in Frankfurt.
• In May 2018, Kimberly-Clark Corporation, has approved $30 million for improving and expanding the production facility in North Carolina is the company’s strategy to strengthen their market presence.
• In April 2018, 3M launched FDA 510(k) clearance for its 3M™ Attest™ Super Rapid Biological Indicator (BI) System for Steam Providing Steam Sterilization in 24 minutes.
• In April 2018, Cantel Medical (US) launched ADVANTAGE PLUS Pass-Thru Automated Endoscope Reprocessor.
• In March 2018, Cantel Medical Corporation acquired Aexis Medical to advance its leadership in infection prevention.
Why purchase the report
• Visualize the composition of the infection control market across each indication, in terms of type and by type highlighting the key commercial assets and players.
• Identify commercial opportunities in infection control by analyzing trends and co-development deals.
• Excel data sheets with thousands of data points of infection control market- level 4/5 segmentation.
• PDF report with the most relevant analysis cogently put together after exhaustive qualitative interviews and in-depth market study.
• Product mapping in excel for the key products of all major market players.
• Medical device companies
• Hospitals and clinics
• Research and consulting firms
• Healthcare associations/institutes
• Venture capitalists
• Government agencies
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook