Consumer 5G use cases: operator strategies for virtual reality video
This report forms part of a series of reports that assess the new consumer use cases that will be enabled by 5G. Streaming video is one of the most-immediately addressable facets of virtual reality (VR). This report:
▪ qualifies the market opportunity for VR VoD content, and for streaming live events such as sports and concerts in VR
▪ identifies the roles that operators can play in the VR value chain and outlines how 5G affects these roles
▪ articulates approaches to selling and positioning VR video as part of a bundle with 5G, mobile and fixed telecoms services.
Key Questions Answered in This Report:
▪ Can operators monetise the growing consumer interest in, and vendor advancement of, VR video?
▪ Does 5G allow operators to play a unique role in the VR video value chain?
▪ How much revenue can operators generate from VR video services and what is the breakdown into device, direct service and indirect service revenue?
▪ What does the value chain for VR video and live event streaming over VR look like, and what role do operators play?
▪ How are early-moving operators using VR video to sell 5G?
▪ Market opportunity sizing: retail revenue for VR-video-related devices and services and the addressable 5G opportunity
▪ Assessment of the role of operators and 5G in VR video: the role of operators in VR VoD and live event broadcasting
▪ Go-to-market assessment: goodness-of-fit with current service portfolio and potential synergies
Assessing the market opportunity
The role of operators and 5G in VR video