Rothmans Gold & Silver: Leveraging latent equity through mainstream pricing
In 2012, Rothmans introduced new low-cost variants to the UK market, revitalizing its quality and heritage reputation. Strong growth, albeit from a low base, was furthered by its entry into British American Tobacco’s (BAT’s) Global Drive Brands list in 2014.
Features and benefits
- Learn about the Rothmans brand and its heritage
- Understand how British American Tobacco is leveraged the brand's heritage to appeal to price-conscious consumers
- Analyze Rothmans tailored marketing and product strategy.
- Assess the success of Rothmans low-cost variants.
Your key questions answered
- Tailored launches revitalized the brand’s presence in new and lapsed markets globally, expanding its share further.Positioning Rothmans as a contemporary value for money brand appealed to smokers who had downtraded due to financial concerns. Maintaining a sophisticated positioning lifts the feel good factor that is a driver for many regular smokers. Meeting the varying needs of consumers in new markets ensured that the product was compelling to all.
- Bridging the gap between quality and pricing has proven crucial to Rothmans’ growth. A two-pronged approach of promoting brand history as a mark of quality to build sentiment, and maintaining an acceptable price point can see share growth, even in a declining market.
- What is Rothmans?
- Why were low-cost Rothmans variants launched?
- How does BAT tailor its product offering to satisfy differing consumer needs in different markets?
- BRAND INVESTMENT AND APPEALING PRICING ATTRACTS LAPSED CONSUMERS
- A heritage brand with lapsed equity
- Compelling price position attracted lapsed consumers
- Enhancing brand investment has seen further expansion
- Rothmans brand volume growth: Strong performance
- ENTERING VALUE SEGMENT WITH RECOGNIZED BRAND TO TARGET MASS MARKET
- Entered value segment while maintaining quality proposition
- Mid and value-priced products are bought by the majority
- Communicating brand reputation through pack updates
- Elevate the feel good smoking occasion
- TAILORING BRANDS TO ALIGN WITH GENUINE CONSUMER NEEDS
- Different consumer considerations in different markets
- The brand’s global growth proves the efficacy of tailoring
- Success not limited to Eastern Europe
- Rothmans’ success attributable to number of time-sensitive and extended factors
- Further Reading
- Ask the analyst
- About MarketLine