Virtual & Augmented Reality in Oil & Gas - Thematic Research
Alternative reality - which encompasses virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), and mixed reality (MR) - could become the next big computing platform. In VR, the user is immersed in an entirely artificial world. In AR, the user sees the real world overlaid with digital data.
In 2017, VR/AR headsets were shipped at an increased rate compared to 2016, with several consumer VR headsets launching in 2017 to help drive this, and it was a banner year for mobile AR application programming interface (API) frameworks. Yet, AR is where much of the action is likely to be over the next two to five years. Imagine wearing a pair of glasses with the computing power and functionality of your smartphone, activated by your voice, which recognizes what you see, where you are, and the context in which you require information.
Over the next five years, VR/AR apps will transform numerous industries from e-commerce to social media to publishing to manufacturing design, increasing productivity and creating new ways of working, playing, and shopping. AR is likely to revolutionize specific vertical industries within the enterprise market in the near future, while VR depends on the apps in development.
This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our “thematic engine”. About our Thematic Research Ecosystem -
Reasons to buy
- GlobalData has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, GlobalData tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in GlobalData’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Multi-Theme report, covering all stocks, all sectors and all themes, giving readers a strong sense of how everything fits together and how conflicting themes might interact with one another.
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
- Macroeconomic trends
- Technology trends
- Media trends
- Virtual & augmented reality trends in oil & gas
- VALUE CHAIN
- Applications and content
- INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
- Competitor Landscape
- Case Study: Impact of AR on Apple
- IMPACT OF VIRTUAL AND AUGMENTED REALITY ON THE OIL & GAS INDUSTRY
- Virtual and augmented reality in the Oil & Gas sector
- Oil & gas case studies
- Key recommendations for IT vendors
- COMPANIES SECTION
- Public tech companies
- Private technology companies
- Oil & gas companies
- TECHNOLOGY BRIEFING
- Virtual reality
- Augmented reality
- Mixed reality
- APPENDIX: OUR “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY