Service Station Retailing in Finland 2017: Market and competitor data and insights into fuel, c-store and car wash offerings
Total fuel consumption in Finland increased by 1.9% in 2016 compared to the previous year. Volume sales of petrol decreased in 2016 by 1.1% to 1,990 Million liters. Diesel consumption is increased by 5.2% to 1,881 Million liters. Fuel prices continued to decline in Finland, the price of petrol in 2016 dropped by 3.1%, and diesel prices fell by 2.5%. The value of fuel sales continued to decline for a third year in 2016 falling by 1.3% to €5,002.5m.
As of 2016, 43.4% of service stations in Finland featured a shop. The total number of service stations with a shop declined by 3.7% about 835 sites. The top five fuel retailers in Finland accounted for 87.3% of the number of service station shops in the country. Neste is the leading player in the service station shop market, with 70.0% of its 470 sites featuring a shop. 39.4% of all service station sites with a shop are Neste branded.
28.6% of service stations in Finland feature a car wash. The total number of service stations with a car washes in Finland marginally decreased by 0.6% to 550 sites. Neste has the largest number of service stations with a car wash in the country, at 201 sites, amounting to 36.5% of the national network. Of the top five players, ABC was the only top five retailers that increased its number of sites with a car wash, as it invested in automated wash facilities at its unmanned sites.
In 2016, two of the top five fuel retailers, expanded their service station networks. The top five fuel retailers -Neste, ABC, Teboil (LUKOIL), St1 and Shell (St1) accounted for 88.4% of service stations in Finland in 2016.
The report Service Station Retailing in Finland 2017, provides an executive-level overview of the Finnish service station market today, with values and volumes up to 2017. It delivers quantitative and qualitative insight into the fuel market, based on in depth interviews with major fuel operators across Europe and proprietary data from our service station retail databases. It provides: National Fuel Volumes and Values. Breakdown of the top five fuel retailers shop, car wash, company owned motorway and unmanned sites.
Companies mentioned in this report:
Neste. ABC, Teboil (LUKOIL), St1, Shell, SEO
Reasons to buy
- Total fuel consumption in Finland increased by 1.9% in 2016 compared to the previous year.
- Neste has the largest service station network, at 470 sites, amounting to 24.4% of the national network.
- The top five fuel retailers in Finland accounted for 87.3% of the number of service station shops in the country.
- The total number of service stations with a car wash in Finland marginally decreased by 0.6% to 550 sites.
- Identify who are the top five players in Finland and how many fuel outlets, motorway & unmanned sites, shops & car wash they have.
- Plan effect market strategies by uncovering market share and average fuel throughput per site of the top five players in the market.
- Understand how the service station network evolving and which players are opening new outlets as well as increasing forecourt shops and car washes.
- Identify what strategies the key players have across their fuel and non- fuel offerings in terms of products sold, branding, promotions, partnerships and suppliers used.
- Service station competitor overview
- Service station market overview
- Neste accounted for 24.4% of the Finnish service station market
- Neste and ABC increased their market shares over the last five years by investing in services and unmanned sites respectively
- ABC and Neste account for over 50% of motorway sites in Finland
- Competitor ranking in 2015 compared to 2016
- Market Size - Neste
- Table Neste operates its unmanned sites under the Neste Oil Express brand
- Market Size - ABC
- Table ABC motorists can pay for their fuel in three clicks through the S-Mobile app
- Market Size - Teboil (LUKOIL)
- Table Teboil attracts commercial vehicles by offering free refreshments when refuelling a set amount
- Market Size - St1
- Table St1's unmanned network accounts for 67.5% of its service stations in Finland
- Market Size - Shell (St1)
- Table Shell divested three service station sites in 2016
- Service station shop network
- Table Service station shop network
- The number of service station shops marginally declined in 2016 as retailers focused on unmanned sites
- Neste accounted for over a third of service station shops in Finland as the company differentiates itself using shop services
- Service station shops- Neste
- Table Neste has launched its Neste-K shop brand at the majority of Neste sites in 2016
- Service station shops- ABC
- Table ABC service stations offer a daily evening buffet at its restaurant locations
- Service station shops- Teboil (LUKOIL)
- Table Teboil offers its loyalty card holders monthly exclusive shop discounts and offers
- Service station shops- St1
- Table St1 operates its service station shops under the Time Out brand in Finland
- Service station shops- Shell (St1)
- Table Shell has shop facilities at half of its service stations in Finland
- Service station car wash network
- Table Service station car wash network
- Neste and Teboil (LUKOIL) operate over half of wash installations in Finland
- Service station car wash- Neste
- Table Neste has car wash facilities at 42.8% of its service stations in Finland
- Service station car wash - ABC
- Table Customers can earn bonus loyalty points every time they use an ABC wash facility
- Service station car wash - Teboil (LUKOIL)
- Table Teboil offers motorists four different wash programmes in Finland
- Service station car wash - St1
- Table St1 allows motorists to pay for a car washes at unmanned stations online
- Service station car wash - Shell (St1)
- Table Shell offers four different Perfect washes at its car wash facilities in Finland
- Fuel retailers will invest in automated car wash installations at unmanned sites over the next five years
- Service station market overview
- The number of services stations in Finland rose 2.4% in 2016 as SEO and St1 expanded their networks
- Population per car has risen annually since 2013 as vehicle parc levels rose over this period
- Total fuel volumes in Finland rose in 2016 as vehicle parc levels increased over this period
- Fuel volumes will grow annually between 2017 and 2022 as population and vehicle parc levels rise
- Petrol accounted for 56.0% of fuel value in Finland in 2016
- Average fuel prices continued to decline in 2016 as retailers expanded their unmanned site networks
- The number of motorway sites in Finland increased in 2016 as retailers increased their appeal to commercial vehicles
- Unmanned service stations account for 57.6% of sites in Finland as retailers compete on low fuel prices