Lightside DIY 2017
Lightside DIY will grow 0.3% in 2017, increasing at a lower rate than the total DIY market. Sluggish growth is driven by a decline in housing transactions, and a resultant lack of demand for minor DIY repairs connected with moving home. In addition, consumer confidence is also low versus 2016. Switches and sockets will be the fastest growing category to 2022, particularly after 2019 as confidence returns to the housing market. Adhesives will also grow strongly, aided by inflation and the make do and mend trend due to low consumer confidence.
Due to the fact that 25-44 year-olds are the most active in the housing market, it is of little surprise that this group has the highest lightside penetration. Furthermore, as this age group are digitally savvy, it is vital that retailers adopt a multichannel approach, including click and collect, in order to target this demographic. 77.6% of shoppers spend less than an hour researching a lightside purchase, indicating how important it is for retailers to carry a wide range of stock to facilitate research in-store.
Click and collect is also important due to the importance of convenience for consumers in choosing where to shop. Through click and collect and smaller stores Screwfix has positioned itself as a DIY specialist with a convenient proposition and has grown share.
With a 30.6% share of the market, B&Q is the largest lightside DIY retailer. However, B&Q's share has declined, primarily due to the closure of 65 stores and competitor pressure. It is likely that the growing threat of Amazon, the store expansion plans of B&M and the rollout of the Bunnings store concept across the Homebase estate will lead to an even more competitive DIY marketplace to 2022.
The report Lightside DIY 2017 offers comprehensive insight and analysis of the UK market, the major players, the main trends, and consumer attitudes. It also provides forecasts to 2022.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- An analysis of the key strategies for success in this market, as well as the most important market issues.
- Detailed data on the size of the market, the key drivers, and how spend is distributed.
- Profiles of the major players, and analysis of the key trends driving the market.
- Insight on who's consuming, what and where they are buying, and what makes consumers purchase.
B&Q, Wickes, Screwfix, Homebase/Bunnings, Wilko, B&M, Amazon, Poundland.Scope
Reasons to buy
- B&Q is the largest lightside DIY retailer. However, B&Q's share has declined, primarily due to the closure of 65 stores and competitor pressure.
- It is likely that the growing threat of Amazon, the store expansion plans of B&M and the rollout of the Bunnings store concept across the Homebase estate will lead to an even more competitive DIY marketplace to 2022.
- The largest category by market size is fixings.
- 70.4% of lightside DIY consumers undertook some form of research before buying.
- 77.6% of shoppers spend less than an hour researching a lightside purchase, indicating how important it is for retailers to carry a wide range of stock to facilitate research in-store.
- The volume demand for adhesives including wood and superglue is set to remain steady as consumers increasingly 'make do and mend' and perform minor household repairs themselves.
- Utilise our five-year market size and growth forecasts to 2022 for the total market, individual sub-categories, online penetration and channels of distribution to enable targeted investment in high performing areas.
- Identify the major retailers in the lightside DIY market, market shares 2015-2017 and future performance prospects.
- Utilise our in-depth analysis of how and why each retailer is performing as it is in the market to allow for benchmarking and provide a strategic advantage.
- Recognise which consumers to target and how to drive spend from them by utilising our shopper penetration data and understanding what influences their retailer selection and spending motivations.
- Understand how the online channel will impact upon lightside DIY by using our online penetration and expenditure forecasts and analysis on channels and online fulfilment.
- Issues and Strategies
- STRATEGIES FOR SUCCESS
- KEY ISSUES
- The Market
- MARKET HEADLINES
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - TOTAL MARKET
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - ELECTRICAL ACCESSORIES
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - JOINTING
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - FILLERS
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - FIXINGS
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - ADHESIVES
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - TAPES
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - MAINTENANCE CHEMICALS
- MARKET SIZE AND CHANGE - SWITCHES AND SOCKETS
- CATEGORY CHANGE AND SIZE: 2017-2019
- Table CATEGORY CHANGE AND SIZE: 2017-2019
- ONLINE SALES PENETRATION
- CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION
- Table CHANNELS OF DISTRIBUTION
- The Retailers
- RETAILER PROSPECTS
- RETAILER SHARES
- KEY COMPARATIVES
- Table TABLE OF KEY COMPARISONS
- OTHER RETAILERS
- The Consumer
- CONSUMER HEADLINES
- Table FREQUENCY OF LIGHTSIDE DIY PURCHASES
- Table RETAILER USAGE BY SEGMENT
- Table RETAILER CONVERSION RATES
- Table SHOPPING IMPORTANCE
- Table DRIVERS OF STORE CHOICE: BY RETAILER
- Further Details
- MARKET SIZING