Cigars and Cigarillos in Spain, 2018
Spain is one of the largest markets for tobacco products in Western Europe, despite consumption falling back sharply since 2009 to a much reduced number of around 55,000 tons by 2017.
The market has long been dominated by factory-made cigarettes, which in 2017 accounted for over 80% of consumption, although this is down since 1991. Smoking tobacco, including both pipe and FCT, is now the second largest sector with over 11% of total tonnage, ahead of cigars and cigarillos.
The Spanish market is sub-divided into three major sectors: 'puros' (large cigars), 'puritos' (small cigars/cigarillos), and 'minis' (miniature cigars). As of 2017 the share held by large cigars had fallen to around 3%. Small cigars/cigarillos, including minis and filter cigarillos, accounted for 97% of total market volume in 2017.
According to the Spanish National Institute of Statistics, smoking prevalence stood at 24% in 2012, the lowest rate in 25 years. In 2012, the proportion of smokers was highest among men (over 27%), with the smoking rate among women at just above 20%. This fall in the level of smoking is attributed, in part, to the introduction of the public smoking ban. As of 2016 there were an estimated nine million adults who were smokers.
Consumption of small cigars and cigarillos is set to fall steadily over the coming decade. At around 1.8 billion pieces, the 2027 Volumes are set to be 16%+points below the 2017 levels. Large cigars are set to suffer a more dramatic decline in their sales than combined cigarillos and small cigar sales.
Companies mentioned in this report: Altadis SA, Agio, CompañiaCanariense de Tabacos SA
Reasons to buy
- Cigars and cigarillos accounted for the third largest market share within the tobacco sector with a marginal sales in 2017.
- The Italian cigar and cigarillo market has been in fluctuation in the past decade, andis currently in its 10 year high in 2017.
- Cigar and cigarillo output has fluctuated annually since 2016. It reached a peak of 4,659 tons in 2013 before falling to 4,340 in 2017
- The leader of the Spanish cigar and cigarillo market is Altadis SA.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- Executive summary
- Market context
- Tobacco products market, %, 2007 &
- Tobacco products market, tons, 2007-
- Market size and structure
- Cigars & cigarillos consumption, million pieces, 2007-
- Per capita consumption, pieces per year, 2007-
- Cigars & cigarillos: market segmentation, 2010-
- Small cigars/cigarillos, total & per capita consumption, 2007-
- Large cigars, total & per capita consumption, 2007-
- Cigars & cigarillos: market segmentation by type, 2006-
- Production and trade
- Production of cigars & cigarillos, 2005-
- Imports, tons, 2006-
- Imports by country of origin, top countries, %,
- Imports of cigars & cigarillos, volume, € 000, 2006-
- Exports, tons, 2006-
- Exports by country of destination, top countries, %,
- Exports of cigars & cigarillos, € 000, 2006-
- Taxation and retail prices
- Cigars & cigarillos: structure of taxation, 1990-
- Cigars & cigarillos: retail prices, September 2017 (volume) (value)
- Fine cut tobacco, tax incidence comparison,
- Manufacturers and brands
- Cigars & cigarillos: manufacturer shares, % volume, 2006-
- Cigars & cigarillos: manufacturer shares, % value, 2006-
- Cigars & cigarillos: brand family shares, volume, 2006-
- Cigars & cigarillos: brand family shares, value, 2006-
- Company profiles
- The smoking population
- Adult smoking prevalence, total and by gender, %, 2004-
- Smokers by age & gender, 2006 &
- Operating constraints
- Advertising restrictions
- Heath warnings and labeling requirements
- Other restrictions
- Retail structure
- Prospects and forecasts
- Cigars & cigarillos consumption, million pieces, 2017-
- Per capita consumption, pieces per year, 2017-