Cigarettes in Peru, 2019
Cigarettes in Peru, 2019
Cigarettes in Peru, 2019 is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Peruvian tobacco market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects, and forecasts for sales and consumption until 2028.
Despite a population of over 31 million, legitimate cigarette consumption in Peru is extremely low. Indeed, Peru has one of the lowest per capita levels of cigarette consumption anywhere in South America, at only 57 pieces per person in 2018. In part, this is because of a substantial contraband problem, with illegal trade accounting for 37.9% of overall consumption in 2018. Legitimate volumes had increased a decade earlier as the profile of non-duty paid sales fell in response to tighter controls and industry efforts to counter the informal trade. Volumes held up until 2009, but duty paid sales dropped by over 36% in 2010 due to economic difficulties, tax increases, and a rise in contraband trade, with further falls recently. Duty paid volumes were only 1,836 million pieces in 2017 and were forecast down at 1,771 million pieces in 2018.
Reasons to buy
- The market has been dominated by BAT since 2003. Previously, it had been led by local producer Tabacalera Nacional SA (Tanasa), which was part of the Fierro group until May 2003.
- The percentage of adults who smoke is in decline. GlobalData estimates that 30% of men and 22.5% of women are smokers.
- Duty paid sales should stabilize in the long term, although it remained depressed, mainly because of recent tax-induced price increases.
- The cigarette market is dominated by blond cigarettes, which have accounted for over 99% of volume sales since 2000.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market. Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market. This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers. Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- 1. Overview
- 2. Market Size
- 3. Market Structure
- 4. Manufacturers & Brands
- 5. Taxation & Retail Prices
- 5.1 Taxation
- 5.2 Retail Prices
- 6. The Smoking Population
- 7. Production and Trade
- 7.1 Production
- 7.2 Imports
- 7.3 Exports
- 8. Operating Constraints
- 8.1 Advertising Restrictions
- 8.2 Health Warnings
- 8.3 Other Restrictions
- 9. Prospects & Forecasts
- 10. Appendix
- 10.1 What is this Report About?
- 10.2 Time Frame
- 10.3 Product Category Coverage
- 10.4 Methodology
- 10.5 About GlobalData
- 10.6 Disclaimer
- 10.7 Contact Us
- List of Tables
- Table 1: Cigarette Consumption, 1990-2018
- Table 2: Total Market: Legitimate vs. Contraband, Billion Pieces, 1997-2018
- Table 3: Per Capita Consumption, 1990-2018
- Table 4: Market Breakdown: Blond vs. Dark Cigarettes, Million Pieces, 2000-2013
- Table 5: Market Breakdown: Blond vs. Dark Cigarettes, % of Total, 2000-2013
- Table 6: Market Breakdown: Filter vs. Plain Cigarettes, 2000-2017, % Volume
- Table 7: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, Million Pieces, 2000-2018
- Table 8: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, % of Total, 2000-2018
- Table 9: Key Brands by Price Positioning 2018
- Table 10: BAT Peru: Retail Price List, 2010
- Table 11: Smoking Population, 1990-2018
- Table 12: Cigarette Production, 1990-2005, Million Pieces
- Table 13: Cigarette Imports, 1990-2018, Million Pieces
- Table 14: Cigarettes Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, Million Pieces
- Table 15: Cigarettes Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2017, % of Total
- Table 16: Dark Cigarettes Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2011, Million Pieces
- Table 17: Dark Cigarette Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2011 % of Total
- Table 18: Blond Cigarette Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2011, Million Pieces
- Table 19: Blond Cigarette Imports by Country of Origin, 2007-2011, % of Total
- Table 20: Cigarette Exports 1998-2018
- Table 21: Consumption Forecast to 2028
- List of Figures
- Figure 1: Methodology
- Figure 2: GlobalData at a glance