Cigarettes in Myanmar, 2016
Cigarettes in Myanmar, 2016, is an analytical report by GlobalData that provides extensive and highly detailed current and future market trends in the Myanma market. It covers market size and structure along with per capita and overall consumption. Additionally, it focuses on brand data, retail pricing, prospects and forecasts for sales and consumption to 2025.
The economy has remained relatively buoyant with GDP growth at 8.5% in 2014/15. Economic growth and an expanding local manufacturing capacity have helped to boost cigarette sales volumes in recent years. These were stood at 15.6 billion pieces in 2013, although there was a fall to 15.02 billion pieces in 2014. With low disposable incomes, per capita consumption remains restricted, at 270 pieces, with contraband and competition from other forms of tobacco, particularly cheroots, further barriers to the development of the market.
Reasons to buy
- Filter cigarettes dominate, benefiting from the international investment made in the market to date. Virginian and oriental flavored products are popular, although American-blend cigarettes have been increasing their presence.
- Myanmar has one of the highest rates of tobacco consumption in the region. However, the use of other tobacco products, particularly cheroots produced in cottage industries, is high while the use of cigarettes is much lower.
- Two former state-owned facilities also operated in the sector, although their share declined to only 22.5% in 2009. The state factories are reported to have been privatized and taken over by the Htoo Group in 2010, and their share stood at 43.8% in 2014. Rothmans of Pall Mall Myanmar took a further 43.8% and the rest of the market is others or imports. In early 2013, BAT announced that it was making a return to the market a decade after its withdrawal.
- Tobacco taxes are seen as a lucrative source of revenue, and cigarettes in particular are taxed at relatively high levels.
- Moderate growth in the cigarette market is expected over the coming decade.
- Get a detailed understanding of consumption to align your sales and marketing efforts with the latest trends in the market.
- Identify the areas of growth and opportunities, which will aid effective marketing planning.
- The differing growth rates in regional product sales drive fundamental shifts in the market.
- This report provides detailed, authoritative data on these changes - prime intelligence for marketers.
- Understand the market dynamics and essential data to benchmark your position and to identify where to compete in the future.
- 1. Overview
- 2. Market Size
- 3. Market Structure
- 4. Manufacturers & Brands
- 5. Taxation & Retail Prices
- 5.1. Taxation
- 5.2. Retail Prices
- 6. The Smoking Population
- 7. Production
- 7.1. Imports
- 7.2. Exports
- 8. Operating Constraints
- 8.1. Advertising Restrictions
- 8.2. Health Warnings
- 8.3. Government Restrictions
- 9. Company Profiles
- 10. Prospects & Forecasts
- 11. Appendix
- List of Tabless
- Table 1: Cigarette Consumption , 1990-2015
- Table 2: Per Capita Consumption in Myanmar, 1990-2015
- Table 3: Imports v Domestically Manufactured Cigarettes, 2000-2014
- Table 4: Manufacturer Sales & Market Shares, 2000-2015
- Table 5: Leading Brands of Cigarettes, 2011
- Table 6: Tobacco Tax Rate Incidence, 2014
- Table 7: Smoking Population, 1990-2014
- Table 8: Prevalence of Smoking, by Age & Sex, 2001
- Table 9: Prevalence of Tobacco use Amongst Adults Aged +15, 2001, 2004 & 2007
- Table 10: Type of Tobacco Used, 2001
- Table 11: Smoking Prevalence Rates from Various Studies
- Table 12: Cigarette Production, 1990-2015
- Table 13: Cigarette Production: State-Owned Facilities, 2004-2015
- Table 14: Cigarette Imports , 1990-2014
- Table 15: Import to Mayanmar by Country, 2000-2014
- Table 16: Exports of Cigarettes, 2000-2014
- Table 17: Key Company Facts
- Table 18: Key Company Facts
- Table 19: Consumption Forecasts to 2025
- List of Figures
- Figure 1: Methodology 37
- Figure 2: GlobalData at a glance 39