PESTLE Insights: Macroeconomic Outlook Report - South Africa
Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 25.1% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2018, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (19.7%) and wholesale, retail and hotels activities (15%). In nominal terms, the three sectors are expected to grow by 6.0%, 5.2% and 6.3%, respectively, in 2019
The overall FTSE/JSE All Share (Johannesburg Stock Exchange) index has been exhibiting a downward trend over the last year. As of September 23, 2019, the FTSE/JSE index stood at 55,622.8, compared to 57,164.25 on September 21, 2018.
Due to higher regional income inequality and uneven population distribution, Guateng, KwaZulu Natal and Western Cape account for 63.5% of total domestic product and 55% of the population, as per the latest available data.
Finance, insurance real estate and business services attracted most investment in 2017
Reasons to buy
- South Africa's air and rail networks are the largest in the continent, and the roads are in good condition. The country's ports provide a natural stopover for shipping to and from Europe, the Americas, Asia, Australasia and both coasts of Africa. However, as per World Bank's logistics performance index (LPI), transport and logistic infrastructure in South Africa declined in the last two years with a fall in rank from 20th in 2016 to 33rd in 2018.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country's snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies' presence in these areas.
- Did you Know?
- Country Highlights
- Country Snapshot
- PESTLE Insights
- Political Landscape
- Economic Landscape
- Social Landscape
- Technological Landscape
- Legal Landscape
- Environmental Landscape
- List of Figures
- Exhibit 1: Czech Republic’s Performance in terms of its Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to East Europe and the World
- Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
- Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights Behind the Index
- Exhibit 4: Prague Stock Market Index (PX) (October 2018 - October 2019)
- Exhibit 5: Key Sectors’ Contribution to the Economy (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 6: FDI Flows (2014 - 2018), Inward FDI Flow by Activity (2018), and FDI Flow by Form of Investment (2018)
- Exhibit 7: Inward FDI Flow by Source of Origin (2018), Inward FDI Stock by Recipient Region (2017) and FDI Stock (2014-2017)
- Exhibit 8: Key Infrastructure Indicators
- Exhibit 9: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 10: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2018)
- Exhibit 11: Export, Import and Trade Balance (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 12: Current Account Balance (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 13: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports (2014-2018)
- Exhibit 14: Vehicles Other Than Railway or Tramway and Associated Parts (2018)
- Exhibit 15: Interest Rates (October 2009 - October 2019)
- Exhibit 16: Exchange Rate (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 17: Public Finance (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 18: General Government Debt (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 19: Employment/Unemployment (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 20: Average Annual Wages (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 21: Labor Cost Index (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 22: Rural/Urban Share of Total Population (1990, 2000, 2010, 2020f)
- Exhibit 23: Age-group Share of Total Population (2000,2010, 2020f)
- Exhibit 24: Gender Split (1990, 2000, 2010, 2020f)
- Exhibit 25: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile Penetration Rate and Broadband Penetration Rate (2018)
- Exhibit 26: Number of Patents Granted Per Million People (2018)
- Exhibit 27: High-technology Exports (% of Manufactured Exports) (2018)
- Exhibit 28: Doing Business in the Czech Republic (2020)
- Exhibit 29: Corruption Perceptions Index (Rankings) (2018)
- Exhibit 30: CO2 Emissions (2011-2017)