United States Dairy Market, By Product Type (Drinking Milk, Cheese, Yogurt, Butter and Others), By Distribution Channel (Departmental Stores, Convenience Stores, Supermarket/Hypermarket, Online, and Others), By Region, By Top 10 States, Competition Forecast & Opportunities, 2026
United States dairy market stood at USD102.94 billion in 2020 and is projected to reach USD137.22 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 4.96% through 2026F due to increasing young population, rising health-conscious consumers and strong per capita personal income. With the increasing consumer commitment toward healthier lifestyle on account of increasing obesity rate among the population, the demand for dairy products is expected to increase in the United States. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the obesity prevalence in the United States had increased from 30.5% in 1999-2000 to 42.4%in 2017 –2018. This has led to increased demand for dairy products in the United States as they are considered a healthier alternative over-processed food items. However, increasing transparency related to ingredients, sourcing, and manufacturing processes from the companies has changed consumers perception toward dairy products.
United States dairy market is divided into the following segments, including product type, distribution channel, region, by top 10 states and by company. In terms of product type segment, the United States dairy market is segmented into drinking milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, and others. Among them, drinking milk dominated the United States dairy market with a market share of around 38 % in 2020. However, year-on-year trends of drinking milk are declining in the United States due to increasing consumer preference towards value-added products like organic milk, soy milk, etc. Based on the drinking milk product type, the market is divided into skim milk, whole milk, flavored milk. Among them, flavored milk is expected to be the fastest-growing among all the drinking milk product types due to longer shelf-life and changing consumer taste, especially among young generations. Based on cheese product type, the market is divided into mozzarella, cheddar, and others. Among them, mozzarella cheese has dominated the cheese market due to the increasing consumption of fast foods like pizza, pasta, burger in which mozzarella is cheese is mostly used. Based on the yogurt product type, the market is divided into flavored and non-flavored. Among them, flavored is dominating the market and is expected to continue its dominance in the forecast period due to changing consumer taste and availability of various flavors in the market. Based on butter product type, the market is divided into salted, unsalted, and others. Among them, salted has dominated the market and is expected to continue its dominance in the forecast period due to longer shelf life and growing demand from the food industry.
Based on distribution channel segment, the United States dairy market is segmented into departmental stores, convenience stores, supermarket/hypermarket, online, & others. Among them, departmental stores are dominating the United States dairy market due to availability of a variety of dairy products.
Based on region, the United States dairy market is segmented into South, West, Midwest, Northwest. The Northeast region is the fastest growing in the United States Dairy market on account of increasing population, rising gross domestic income, and per capita personal income. Some of the major players operating in the United States dairy market are Dairy Farmers of America Inc., Saputo Cheese USA Inc., Land O’Lakes, Inc., Danone North America, Lactalis American Group, Inc., and Others.
Years considered for this report:
Historical Years: 2016-2019
Base Year: 2020
Estimated Year: 2021E
Forecast Period: 2022F-2026F
Objective of the Study:
- To analyze the historical growth in the market size of the United States dairy market from 2016 to 2020.
- To estimate and forecast the market size of United States dairy market from 2021 to 2026 and growth rate until 2026.
- To define, classify and forecast the United States dairy market based on product type, distribution channel, region, top 10 states, and company.
- To analyze and forecast the United States dairy market size with respect to product type (drinking milk, cheese, yogurt, butter, and others)
- To analyze and forecast the United States dairy market size with respect to distribution channel.
- To scrutinize the detailed market segmentation and forecast the market size based on four regions, namely – South, West, Midwest, and Northeast.
- To examine competitive developments such as expansions, new product launches, government policy and investments and new entrants in the United States dairy market.
- To strategically profile leading players operating in the United States dairy market.
TechSci Research performed both primary as well as exhaustive secondary research for this study. Initially, TechSci Research sourced a list of leading dairy companies across the United States. Subsequently, TechSci Research conducted primary research surveys with the identified companies. While interviewing, the company personnel were also enquired about their key products, prices of products and competitors. Through this technique, TechSci Research was able to include the manufacturers which could not be identified due to the limitations of secondary research. TechSci Research analyzed the product type, distribution channel, top 10 states, and regional presence of all major dairy companies across the country.
TechSci Research calculated the United States dairy market size using a top-down approach, where manufacturers’ value share data for product type, distribution channel was recorded and forecast for the future years. TechSci Research sourced these values from industry experts and company representatives and externally validated through analyzing historical sales data of respective segments to arrive at the overall market size. Various secondary sources such as company annual reports, World Bank, International Trade Centre, United States Census Bureau, press releases, industry magazines, industry reports, news dailies, credible paid databases and proprietary databases were also studied by TechSci Research.
Key Target Audience:
- Dairy manufacturers/importers, suppliers, distributors, and other stakeholders.
- Trade associations, organizations, forums, and alliances related to dairy market.
- Government bodies such as regulating authorities and policy makers.
- Market research and consulting firms.
The study is useful in providing answers to several critical questions that are important for industry stakeholders, such as dairy manufacturers, distributors, dealers, and policy makers. The study would also help them in deciding which market segments should be targeted over the coming years to strategize investments and capitalize on growth of the market.
In this report, United States dairy market has been segmented into the following categories in addition to the industry trends which have also been detailed below:
- United States Dairy Market, By Product Type:
- Drinking Milk
- Skim Milk
- Whole Milk
- Flavored Milk
- Others (American cheese, Italian cheese & other cheese)
- Salted Butter
- Unsalted Butter
- United States Dairy Market, By Distribution Channel:
- Departmental Stores
- Convenience Stores
- United States Dairy Market, By Region:
Company Profiles: Detailed analysis of the major companies operating in the United States dairy market.
Channel Partner Analysis
- Detailed list of distributors and dealers across all major regions.
- Detailed analysis and profiling of additional market players (up to five).
Report will be updated with the latest data and delivered to you within 3-5 working days of order. Single User license will be delivered in PDF format without