Bahrain: Country Intelligence Report
Bahrain’s population of 1.4m as of 2017 makes it the 59th most populated country in the Africa & Middle East (AME) region. GlobalData expects the country’s population to grow at a CAGR of 1.1% in the 2017-2022 period, to reach 1.5m by year-end 2022.
Bahrain’s nominal GDP reached US$35bn in 2017, ranked 29th in the AME region. GlobalData expects the country’s nominal GDP to grow at a CAGR of 5.9% during 2017-2022 to reach $47bn by the end of 2022.The purchasing power parity (PPP)-adjusted GDP per capita of Bahrain reached just over $48,000 in 2017 and will grow to around $56,000 by year-end 2022 at a CAGR of 3.2% during 2017-2022.Real GDP growth will decline to about 2% in 2018 from around 2.9% in 2017, as the government reins in its capital spending. It will improve from 2020 onward and reach over 2.5% by 2022, as industrial projects are completed and private sector contributions to the economy increase.
Annual inflation will pick up from 0.9% in 2017 to 3.5% in 2018 on the back of recently implemented excise taxes. It will moderate thereafter to reach 1.5% in 2021 before rising again to 1.6% in 2022 due to higher global commodity prices and a weakening dollar.
The report Bahrain: Country Intelligence Report, provides an executive-level overview of the telecommunications market in Bahrain today, with detailed forecasts of key indicators up to 2022. Published annually, the report provides detailed analysis of the near-term opportunities, competitive dynamics and evolution of demand by service type and technology/platform across the fixed telephony, broadband and mobile segments, as well as a review of key regulatory trends.
The report provides in-depth analysis of the following -
Key findings of the report -
- Demographic and macroeconomic context in Bahrain.
- The regulatory environment and trends: a review of the regulatory setting and agenda for the next 18-24 months as well as relevant developments pertaining to spectrum licensing, national broadband plans, tariff regulation and more.
- Telecom services market outlook: analysis as well as historical figures and forecasts of service revenue from the fixed telephony, broadband, mobile voice and mobile data markets.
- The competitive landscape: an examination of the positioning of leading players in the telecom services market as well as subscription market shares across segments.
- Company snapshots: analysis of the financial position of leading service providers in the telecommunications markets.
- Underlying assumptions behind our published base-case forecasts, as well as potential market developments that would alter, either positively or negatively, our base-case outlook.
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Total telecom service revenue in Bahrain reached $0.6bn in 2017, a decrease of around 7.5% from 2016 due to intense price competition between operators and due to a steady decline in the adoption of mobile voice services. GlobalData expects total service revenue to recover in 2019 and reach about $0.8bn by the end of 2022, driven by an increase in mobile data and fixed broadband revenue.
- Mobile voice revenue will decrease from around $0.2bn (about 37% of total revenue) at the end of 2017 to about $0.1bn by year-end 2022 due to ongoing user shift toward OTT-based communications. Mobile data revenue will increase at the highest CAGR of 18% from around $0.2bn in 2017 to about $0.4bn by year-end 2022. This growth will be driven by an increase in mobile data usage, and the growth in data ARPU. The projected rise in M2M subscriptions will also add to mobile data revenue over the forecast period.
- Fixed broadband revenue will grow at a CAGR of over 15% during 2017-2022 to reach around $0.2bn by 2022, supported by the growing adoption of higher-ARPU FTTx services given the ongoing fiber-optic network expansions, which is supported by the National Broadband Network project.
Batelco, Viva Bahrain, Zain Bahrain, Kalaam Telecom, MeenaScope
Reasons to buy
- The overall telecom service revenue in Bahrain will grow at a CAGR of 5.8% during 2017-2022.
- Mobile services revenue will account for 40.8% of total telecom service revenue in 2022, driven by increasing adoption of 4G services.
- Batelco leads Bahrain’s mobile market in terms of mobile subscriptions for 2017, followed by Viva Bahrain and Zain Bahrain. Aiming to consolidate its leading market position, Batelco focuses on network expansions/upgrades and competitively priced offers.
- This Country Intelligence Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of Bahrain’s telecommunications markets, service providers and key opportunities in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying GlobalData’s Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in Bahrain’s mobile communications, fixed telephony, broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With more than 20 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
- The report provides an easily digestible market assessment for decision-makers built around in-depth information gathered from local market players, which enables executives to quickly get up to speed with the current and emerging trends in Bahrain’s telecommunications markets.
- The broad perspective of the report coupled with comprehensive, actionable detail will help operators, equipment vendors and other telecom industry players succeed in the challenging telecommunications market in Bahrain.
- Market highlights
- Demographic, macroeconomic and regulatory context
- Demographic and macroeconomic context
- Regulatory context
- Telecom services market outlook
- Total telecom service revenue
- Mobile services market
- Fixed services market
- Competitive landscape and company snapshots
- Competitive landscape
- Viva Bahrain
- Zain Bahrain
- Additional resources
- Baseline forecast assumptions
- Data tables
- Research methodology
- About the authors
- Country Intelligence Report coverage
- About GlobalData