Country Profile: Confectionery Sector in China
Chinese Confectionery sector accounted for a volume share of 8.9% of the global market and 41.8% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market, in 2016. The sector was valued at C¥102,607.7 Million (US$15,583.7 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.7% during 2016-2021. Rising disposable income and growing demand for high quality confectionery products are driving the sector. Per capita consumption stood at 0.82kg when compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels of 2.46kg and 0.81kg, respectively, in 2016.
Chocolate was the largest with value sales of C¥61,518.7 Million (US$9,343.2 Million) in 2016. Furthermore, Gum is expected to grow the fastest at a CAGR of 9.5% compared to Sugar Confectionery (4.9%) and Chocolate (9%).
Convenience Stores was the leading distribution channel in the Chinese Confectionery sector, accounting for a total value share of 49.3% in 2016. It was followed by Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Food & Drinks Specialists and Departmental Stores with shares of 37.2%, 4.9% and 2.6%, respectively, in the same year. Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used package material in the Chinese Confectionery sector. In 2016, it accounted for a volume share of 63.2%, followed by Rigid Plastics, and Paper & Board with shares of 30.4% and 4.9%, respectively.
The top five brands in the Chinese Confectionery sector accounted for 21.6% value share, in 2016. Private labels accounted for a 4.4% share by value in the same year. Health & Wellness attributes such as ‘Free From’ and ‘Functional & Fortified’ and consumer benefits such as ‘Health Management’ and ‘General Wellbeing’ are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the Chinese Confectionery sector.
The report Country Profile: Confectionery Sector in China provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021.
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Chocolate, Gum, and Sugar Confectionery with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021.
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016.
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others.
- Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; Pack data for: Carton, Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Wrapper, Bottle, and Tube.
Mars, Incorporated,Nestle,Beijing Sister Ma Food Co., Ltd.,Perfetti Van Melle SpA,Lotte Co., Ltd.,Haribo GmbH & Co. KG,Fujian Yake Food Co., Ltd.,Guangzhou Zhang Clan Food Co., Ltd.,Lotte Co., Ltd.,Starway Inc,Want Want China Holdings Limited,Carvendish & Harvey Deustchland,Mondelez International, Inc,Ferrero,Perfetti Van Melle SpA,Fujiya,Edo Trading Company,Shocking Popping Candy,The Hershey Company,Fujian Yake Food Co., Ltd.,Shanghai Wo Wo Group,Uha Mikakuto Co., Ltd.,Chengdu Gaeronic Food Co.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The Confectionery sector in China accounted for 41.8% volume share in the Asia-Pacific region
- Sugar Confectionery is the largest market in value and volume terms in the Chinese Confectionery sector
- Gum market is forecast to register the fastest growth during 2016-2021
- Demand for Gum with ‘Sugar Free’ claims is increasing in China
- Dove accounts for the leading share in value terms in the Chinese Confectionery sector
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Confectionery products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.