Seven Premium: Raising private label to powerful destination brand status
Seven Premium is a private label (PL) brand created by Seven & I Holdings, which is the parent company of multiple retail chains in Japan, including Seven Eleven Japan. The brand was launched in 2007, and has grown to be the leading PL brand in Japan, overtaking the previous leader Topvalu.
Features and benefits
- Learn about the Seven Premium brand.
- Understand the strategies underpinning its success.
- Assess future opportunities for Seven Eleven to grow the brand.
Your key questions answered
- Seven Premium products have taken full advantage of the product development know-how and infrastructure cultivated by companies within the group. Product development has continued to seek innovative approaches so that Seven Premium's products meet changeable consumer needs and trends.
- Pursuing high quality and deliciousness can build brand loyalty, and this brand positioning may see opportunities in other Asian countries. The approach of adjusting flavors to meet local preferences may be applicable in various countries.
- What is Seven Premium?
- How has it become Japan's leading private label brand?
- How does Seven Premium develop new, and adapt existing, products for new markets?
- What future opportunities exist for the brand?
- QUALITY-DRIVEN BRAND CONCEPT CREATES MARKET LEADER
- Seven Premium is the leading PL brand in Japan, expected to reach $8.3bn sales in 2015
- Seven Premium pursues a quality-driven brand concept
- In 2014, sales of Seven Premium hit JPY815bn, and 144
- SKUs have sold over JPY1bn each
- PRODUCT RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT, & TAILORING KEYS TO BECOMING A LEADING BRAND
- Targeting quality-led consumers
- Seven Premium's rivals are national branded products, yet they are not copies of these
- Seven Premium products take full advantage of product development knowhow and infrastructure cultivated by group companies
- Branding with a distribution channel to create a strong brand shelf appearance and increase brand recognition
- Constantly reviewing products and involving customers in product development help the Seven Premium brand to repeatedly create products reflecting consumer needs
- Making collaboration with manufacturers more visible to consumers helps to enhance consumer trust in the brand
- Identifying local flavor preferences and adjusting flavors by region increases the positive impression that nationwide PL can convey a thoughtful approach
- Seven Premium becomes a destination brand
- Comparison: Topvalu vs. Seven Premium
- PRODUCT REVIEWS AND ADAPTATION PROVIDE OPPORTUNITIES OUTSIDE JAPAN
- Pursuing high quality and deliciousness can build the brand loyalty, creating opportunities in some Asian countries
- Making PL manufacturers visible to consumers to build trust between products and shoppers
- Reviewing products, even when they are popular, helps to maintain traction
- Adjusting flavors to meet local preference can be an opportunity particularly in PLs, as retailers can identify trends by their sales data
- A powerful PL brand can find further opportunities
- Successful private label brand driven by research, product development and adaptability
- Further Reading
- Ask the analyst
- About MarketLine