PESTLE Insights: Macroeconomic Outlook Report - South Korea
In 2017, Seoul, Gyeonggi-do and Gyeongsangnam-do contributed 51.2% to the country’s GDP and comprised 50.4% of the South Korea’s population. Largest share of total FDI stock in South Korea was from Asia in 2016.
Mining, manufacturing and utilities contributed 33.1% to the gross value added (GVA) in 2018, followed by financial intermediation, real estate and business activities (21.0%) and wholesale, retail and hotels (10.7%). These sectors are expected to grow by 4.5%, 4.8% and 4.4% in 2019.
The overall KOSPI composite index exhibits a downward trend over last one year. As of February 11, 2019, KOSPI index stood at 2,180.7, compared to 2,385 on February 12, 2018.
Reasons to buy
- As per World Bank's logistics performance index (LPI), transport and logistic infrastructure in South Korea deteriorated over the last two years with decline in rank from 24th in 2016 to 25th out of 160 countries in 2018.
- Macroeconomic Outlook Report identifies the potentials of the country as an investment destination by analyzing the political, economic, social, technological, legal and environmental (PESTLE) structure.
- PESTLE Insights provides 360 degree view of the economy which can be used as a strategic tool to understand the market dynamics, business potentials and direction of operations
- Along with providing the country’s snapshot, the report captures the risk factors pertaining to the macroeconomic risks, political environment, legal environment, demographic and social structure effectiveness, technology & infrastructure and natural and geographic aspects that might impact business.
- This report also highlights key clusters/cities which contribute significantly to the country GDP and population along with major companies’ presence in these areas.
- Did you Know?
- Country Highlights
- Country Snapshot
- PESTLE Insights
- Political Landscape
- Economic Landscape
- Social Landscape
- Technological Landscape
- Legal Landscape
- Environmental Landscape
- List of Figures
- Exhibit 1: South Korea’s Performance in Country Risk Analysis in Comparison to Asia Pacific and the World
- Exhibit 2: Performance Overview (Score: 1-100)
- Exhibit 3: Broad Categories and Weights behind the Index
- Exhibit 4: KOSPI Composite Index (^KS11)
- Exhibit 5: Key Sectors Contribution to the Economy (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 6: FDI inflows (2012-2017), FDI stock by type of investment (2016) and FDI stock share by sector (2016)
- Exhibit 7: FDI by Continent and Country (2016)
- Exhibit 8: Key Infrastructure Indicators
- Exhibit 9: Real GDP and Household Consumption Growth Rate (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 10: Real GDP Growth Rate Comparison (2017)
- Exhibit 11: Export, Import and Trade Balance (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 12: Current Account Balance (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 13: Top Three Commodity Exports, % of Total Exports, 2015-2018
- Exhibit 14: Electrical Machinery and Equipment, % of World Total, 2017
- Exhibit 15: Interest Rates (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 16: Exchange Rate (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 17: Public Finance (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 18: General Government Debt (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 19: Employment/Unemployment (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 20: Average Annual Wages (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 21: Labour Cost Index (2014-2021f)
- Exhibit 22: Rural/Urban Share in Total Population (1990, 2000, 2010, 2020)
- Exhibit 23: Age-group Share of Total Population (1990, 2000, 2010, 2020)
- Exhibit 24: Gender Split (1990, 2000, 2010, 2020)
- Exhibit 25: Internet Users % of Total Population, Mobile and Broadband Penetration Rate, 2017
- Exhibit 26: Number of Patents Granted Per Mn Population, 2018
- Exhibit 27: High-technology Exports (% of manufactured exports) 2017
- Exhibit 28: Doing Business in South Korea 2019
- Exhibit 29: Corruption Perception Index (Rankings) 2018
- Exhibit 30: CO2 Emissions (2012-2017)