MediPoint: Digit Replacement - South America Analysis and Market Forecasts
Painful motion around the metacarpophalangeal (MCP) and proximal interphalangeal (PIP) joints is often precipitated by conditions such as arthritis, neuromuscular diseases, trauma, connective tissue disorder, and biomechanical instability, which can interfere with daily activities. This is generally addressed using conservative methods including physical therapy and nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs). Digit replacement is a surgical procedure mainly performed to relieve pain and restore function by replacing damaged joint surfaces with artificial implants. The major risk factors that contribute to digit replacement are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis resulting from old age.
Digit replacement is an intervention indicated for dysfunction of the finger joint due to trauma or arthritis. It is a substitute to arthrodesis when joint pain begins to interfere with daily activities and other medical management routes fail to provide relief. The procedure is complicated and there is a steep learning curve to competency as low procedure numbers prevent surgeons from getting enough hands-on experience. The goal of digit arthroplasty is to relieve pain, fix deformities and maintain the function and appearance of the fingers. Compared to other arthroplasties, the market share of digit replacement is paltry and therefore its addition to a company’s portfolio is normally a strategic business decision.
The South American digit replacement market was estimated at US$0.6M in 2016 across the three markets (Argentina, Brazil, and Chile) covered in this report. By the end of the forecast period in 2023, it is estimated that the market will grow to approximately US$0.9M at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 6%.
Key drivers of the digit replacement market in the forecast period are -
- The aging population and rising prevalence of arthritis
- Materials research into more durable and biocompatible implants
- Long-term results that showcase the benefits of digit arthroplasty compared to alternative treatments.
South American digit replacement market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 6% during the forecast period. Brazil represented the largest portion of the market in 2016, holding more than 72% of the regional revenue, and is expected to maintain this dominance through the forecast period. Brazil is also expected to be the fastest-growing South American market through 2023, at a CAGR of 4.9%, while Argentina and Chile will experience no growth.
The market for digit replacement is divided into two product categories: silicone and pyrolytic-based implants. The most popular finger implant is the silicone-based Swanson prosthesis, the gold standard upon which several silicone finger joint prostheses designs are based. Other players in this market include Integra LifeSciences, Stryker, Wright Medical, Zimmer Biomet, and Depuy Orthopedics.
The report MediPoint: Digit Replacement - South America Analysis and Market Forecasts, focuses on the market outlook for digit replacement devices in South America (Argentina, Brazil, and Chile). The analysis identifies the key unmet needs in the digit replacement market, discusses the major drivers and barriers of adoption, and provides an in-depth understanding of physicians’ perceptions and the future outlook for this market by segment and geography.
Companies mentioned in this report: Integra LifeSciences, Stryker, Wright Medical, Zimmer Biomet, Depuy Orthopaedics.Scope
- Overview of recent key industry events and analysis of their market impact.
- Annualized total market revenue, procedure trends, and market outlooks by segment and by region through 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, identification of unmet needs, reimbursement considerations, evaluating market access in each region covered in the report, and implications of the emerging technologies in the market.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global digit replacement market. Insightful review of industry drivers, barriers, and challenges.