Success Case Study: Smirnoff Cider - Fusing categories and flavors to widen cider's appeal
Smirnoff Cider was launched in 2016 off the back of Diageo's prior success with Pimm's Cider Top. It marries fruit cider with interesting flavor combinations to the brand's core vodka, to offer a less sweet but widely palatable drink.
Cider continues to be a key market in the UK drinks scene, with producers looking for ever-greater differentiation as mainstream products become less attractive to experimental consumers.
Reasons to buy
- Cider is, like beer, experiencing a move towards craft and premium products, and away from the basic mainstream cider product.
- At the same time, flavored cider offers big brands a route to compete in a buoyant segment not necessarily dependent on craft credentials, but one where premiumization and differentiation can be established through flavor innovation.
- A key part of flavored cider’s appeal is its relative accessibility and palatability for a wider range of consumers. This is combined with the widespread popularity of vodka as a mixer spirit.
- The fruity and sweet flavor preference among female consumers suggests more potential for enhancing appeal among that demographic with interesting/creative fruit flavors or fusions that pair cider with other fruit-derived categories/segments.
- Use GlobalData’s selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success.
- Obtain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- About Successes & Failures Case Studies
- Summary: Smirnoff Cider