Country Profile: Confectionery Sector in Japan
Japanese Confectionery sector accounted for a volume share of 3.2% of the global market and 14.8% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market, in 2016. The sector was valued at J¥1,105,183.9 Million (US$10,153.8 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.3% during 2016-2021. Rising consumer confidence, boosted by growing disposable income, is prompting Japanese to spend more on indulgent treats more frequently, which is driving the consumption of Confectionery products. Per capita consumption stood at 3.17kg when compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels of 2.46kg and 0.81kg, respectively, in 2016.
Chocolate was the largest with value sales of J¥571,936.8 Million (US$5,254.6 Million) in 2016. Furthermore, it is expected to grow at a CAGR of 2.4% compared to Sugar Confectionery (2.7%) and Gum (1.4%).
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets was the leading distribution channel in the Japanese Confectionery sector, accounting for a total value share of 40.9% in 2016. Convenience Stores represented the second largest distribution channel with a value share of 23.9% in the same year. Flexible Packaging was the most commonly used package material in the Japanese Confectionery sector with a share of 77.6% in 2016. It was followed by Rigid Plastics and Paper & Board with shares of 12.7% and 8.5%, respectively.
Xylitol was the largest brand in value terms with a share of 5.1% in 2016. It was followed by Ghana and Pocky with value shares of 3.7% and 3.4%, respectively. Health & Wellness attributes such as ‘Free from (Sugar Free)’ and consumer benefits such as ‘Health Management (Diabetic/Dietetic)’ are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the Japanese Confectionery sector.
The report Country Profile: Confectionery Sector in Japan provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following analysis -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021.
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Chocolate, Gum, and Sugar Confectionery with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021.
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016.
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Cash & Carries and warehouse Clubs, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others.
- Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, and others; Pack data for: Carton, Film, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Wrapper, Bottle, and Tube.
A. Loacker Ag, Chocoladefabriken Lindt & Sprüngli AG, Costco, Ferrero, Fujiya, Furuta Confectionery Co., Ltd., Glico Witte, Hawaiian Host, Kabaya Food Corporation, Kasugai Seika, Lotte Co., Ltd., Market O Real Brownie, Mars, Incorporated, Mary Chocolate Co., Ltd., Maxim De Paris Ltd., Meiji Holdings Co., Ltd., Meito Sangyo Co., Ltd, Morozoff Limited, Nestle, The Hershey Company, Yildiz Holding AS, Denroku Co., Ltd., Ezaki Glico co., Ltd, Morinaga & Co., Ltd. , Peter Paul, Yuraku Confectionery, Bourbon Corporation Japan., Choco Mochi, Mauna Loa, Nikkoh Co., Ltd.Scope
Reasons to buy
- The per capita consumption of Confectionery is higher in Japan compared to the global and regional level
- Per capita consumption of Confectionery products is high in Japan when compared to global and regional levels
- Hypermarkets & Supermarkets is the largest distribution channel followed by Convenience Stores
- Lotte Co., Ltd accounts for the leading share in the Japanese Confectionery sector
- Flexible Packaging is the most commonly used package material in the Japanese Confectionery sector
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Confectionery products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.