South American Flavors: Culinary Trend Tracking Series
Peruvian food is hot – and we’re not talking because of the peppers. Trend watchers, from the National Restaurant Association to influential chefs worldwide, have identified Peruvian cuisine as one to watch.
We agree. Packaged Facts’ report, South American Flavors: Culinary Trend Tracking Series, spotlights emerging, penetrating and integrated food and ingredient trends from the southern hemisphere that are fueling new opportunities as their popularity is recast in a new light.
South American Flavors spotlights the major drivers of these trends within the following framework:
- Health and wellness
- Food integrity and authenticity, including natural, organic, local and food freshness
- Bold flavors and flavor tourism
- Craft and artisanal
- Purposeful eating
South American Flavors uses a data-driven approach, along with a comprehensive understanding of restaurant, retail and consumer trends, to create the opportunity-scape for our customers:
Profiles in this issue
What’s the opportunity-scape for South American foods and flavors? This report profiles the following menu and packaged product development opportunities:
- Aji peppers and rocoto see expanded applications in sauces and as ingredients for snacks with a global flair
- Purple corn and purple potato will stake more claim as authentic and healing foods, including for those seeking non-GMO ingredients
- In the wake of quinoa, amaranth and pichuberry will play on texture and flavor attributes, as well as leverage health & wellness, to increase penetration in the specialty and natural market
- Pisco and Caipirinha will draw on perennial interest in international spirits and beverages to foster new mixology and flavoring applications
- South American stews, including Brazil’s Feijoada, have gotten their sea legs in the restaurant circles.
Culinary Trend Tracking Series is the essential source for tracking culinary trends and opportunities in the restaurant, foodservice, retail prepared foods, and packaged food and beverage sectors. This new bi-monthly report series empowers the menu and food manufacturing innovation of executives, strategists, chefs, and food research professionals in R&D/product development, market and consumer insights, brand management, and trade and consumer marketing.
- Executive Overview
- PROFILES TABLE
- Consumer drivers
- Consumer targets
- AJI AMARILLO, ROCOTO AND AJI PANCA
- PURPLE POTATO AND PURPLE CORN
- Amaranth, Quinoa and Pichuberry
- Caipirinha and Peruvian Pisco
- Feijoada and Chupe de Camarones