The U.S. Sleep Market
Of a total population of 325 million Americans, 58% are estimated to experience insomnia symptoms or sleep disorders. Companies across America are trying to sell us a perfect night’s sleep with medications, premium mattresses, high tech pillows, CPAP devices, white noise machines, smartphone apps, and more. All of this has become a $28.6 billion a year industry.
As obesity rates climb and Americans age, more people are developing sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome and other sleep disorders. Plus, stressors related to politics, terrorism, student debt and more are resulting in more sleepless nights for Americans. First launched in 1977, there are now an estimated 4,700 “sleep labs or centers” in the United States. These labs perform sleep studies and help design treatment programs for insomniacs and those with sleep apnea and other conditions.
This new Marketdata study examines the “sleep” market and its segments, covering markets for: anti-insomnia drugs (over-the-counter & prescription), sleep labs/sleep centers, mattresses and pillows, CPAPs (continuous positive airway pressure devices) for sleep apnea, and retail sleep aids: earplugs, sleep lamps, sound conditioning machines, eye masks, books on sleep). The report also includes key sleep lab metrics such as patient volumes, bed counts, and much more.
The study includes: market size estimates for 1995-2017, with 2018 and 2023 Forecasts, patient demographics, 16 in-depth competitor profiles and rankings in each market segment, discussions of market nature & structure, history and evolution, reimbursement issues and the effect of Medicare rulings regarding home testing.
Company profiles for: ResMed, Respironics, SleepMed, Sleep Holdings, Foundation Surgery Associates, Novasom, Tempur Sealy, Sleep Number Co., Simmons Serta.
Introduction: Study Scope & Methodology
- Glossary of sleep disorder terms
- List of major private & public sector information source used
Executive Overview of Major Findings
- Highlights of ALL study chapters:
- Market definition and scope: mkt. segments included
- Scope of sleep deprivation in America: prevalence rates of insomnia, causes, no. of sleep disorders, description of most common sleep disorders, NSF vs.other polls.
- Nature of the field of sleep medicine and somnology: history/evolution of sleep labs, number, multiple-site chains, mkt. size 1997-2023 F
- Why drug companies play a major role in publicizing sleep disorders and creating demand for Rx sleeping pills, mkt. size 1997-2023 F
- Size and nature of the mattress & pillows market, new technologies, mkt size
- Obstructive sleep apnea market: why CPAP device potential is huge and largely untapped, mkt. size 1997-2023 F
- Major Market Trends: discussion of… sleep lab reimbursement and consolidation, home test market, decline of Rx sleep medications mkt. due to generics, growth of OTC meds, mattress mkt. technology and distribution disruptions.
- Market Size & Growth, Market Segments: Total mkt. value, effect of recessions, 2007 performance, 2018 & 2023 forecasts
- Total size of U.S. sleep market, by mkt. segment: 1995-2023 F, annual percent chg.
- Mattresses market: 1995-2023 F
- Pillows market: 1995-2023 F
- Sleep Labs/centers: 1995-2023 F
- Rx and OTC sleeping medications market: 1995-2023 F
- CPAP devices market: 1995-2023 F
Demographics of Persons With Sleep Disorders
- Scope of affected population: no. and type persons with… insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, restless legs syndrome, no. of children, women, seniors with sleep disorders
- Findings of Natl. Sleep Foundation’s “Sleep in America” poll
- No. of hours of sleep daily, by race (Natl. Health Interview Survey)
- Prevalence of sleeping problems by major countries, U.S. vs. Europe, Japan
- CDC data/research confirms Americans’ lack of sleep: causes
- Findings of Marketdata mail survey of sleep labs: patients by age, sex.
Market Size & Growth
- Market Definition & Scope: the markets comprising total sleep market Discussion & Outlooks for the Major Market Segments: 2016-2017 performance, 2018 & 2023 Forecasts, Factors Affecting Demand, Key Indicators
- The Mattresses Market
- The Sleep Pillows Market
- The Sleeping Medications Market
- The Sleep Labs Market; effect of CMS ruling, avg.
- The Sleep Apnea Devices Market (effect of CMS ruling, home testing)
- The Retail Sleep Aids Market (overview of sleep lamps, sound machines, earplugs, sleep pods, smartphone apps, etc.)
- Size of U.S. sleep market, by segment: 1995-2023 F (mattresses, pillows, sleep lab operations, Rx/OTC sleeping pills, CPAP devices, retail devices & services)
- Total U.S. sleep market value, annual % change: 1995-2023 F
- Sleep pillows sales: 1995-2023 F
- Prescription anti-insomnia drugs sales: 1995-2023 F
- Sleep Labs revenues, no. of labs, annual % change: 1995-2023 F
- Sleep apnea devices (CPAPs) sales: total, ResMed. Respironics: 1995-2023 F
Sleep Labs Market
- What are sleep labs, how many?, evolution & nature of the field, polysomnograms test description, accredited vs. non-accredited centers
- Launching a new sleep lab – the process/key considerations, capital needed, choices for hospital or MD affiliations
- The effect of Medicare approval of home tests: discussion, type of devices
- What patients can expect at a sleep lab: type tests (PSGs, split night studies, MSLTs, CPAP titrations), role of sleep techs, follow-up
- How to find A sleep lab
- Market Size & Growth: 1995-2016 Estimates, 2018 Forecast, reasons for Closures/consolidation, reimbursement issues, major problems labs face, long-term Outlook.
- 2014-2018 quarterly surveys of sleep lab metrics: patient volume, bed count (Needham & Co.)
- Sleep Labs revenues, no. of labs, annual % change: 1995-2023 F
Results of Past Marketdata U.S. Sleep Labs Survey
- Type of sleep lab (percent of total: hospital-based, practice-based, universitybased, independent / free-standing
- Average number of PSGs (sleep studies, CPAP titrations and MSLTs) performed in 2006, 2007
- Average number of beds operated and average days/nights per week operated
- Number of patients the sleep lab would be able to test/titrate per week if operating at 100% occupancy, 7 days/nights per week (average)
- List of Sleep centers’ biggest issues or problems
- Expected effect of March 14 decision by CMS to provide Medicare reimbursement for home sleep studies using portable devices to have on their lab’s future
- Average fees a sleep lab charges for: PSG sleep study, CPAP titration study, MSLT
- Reimbursement – avg. amount a sleep lab receives for: PSG sleep study, CPAP titration study, MSLT
- Percentage of a sleep lab’s total sleep diagnostic revenue that comes from: commercial insurance, Medicare/Medicaid, patients
- Average sleep lab’s diagnostic revenues in 2007
- Whether sleep labs have an affiliated company that provides PAP set-ups for their patients and generates sleep therapy revenues, number of PAP set-ups performed in: 2006, 2007
- Whether economic recessions affect a sleep lab’s business?
- Percentage of a sleep lab’s patient base that is male vs. female
- Age of a sleep lab’s most typical patient (% by age class)
- The contributing factors to a sleep lab patients’ sleep disorders (% by type: obesity, large neck size, nasal/airway obstructions, etc.)
- Percentage of sleep labs that treat these disorders: sleep apnea, insomnia, restless leg syndrome, narcolepsy, periodic limb movement
- Whether sleep labs collect outcome data
Competitor Profiles (description and history of company, no. of labs operated, address, specialties, acquisitions, services, financials when available)
- SleepMed, Inc.
- Sleep Holdings
- Foundation Surgery Affiliates, LLC
- Nocturna Sleep Center
Sleep Lab Technicians Salary Trends
- Descriptions of the major staff positions, training required (sleep tech, technologists)
- Findings of Sleep Review Magazine’s salary survey, average salary and ranges for: RPSGTs, sleep techs, respiratory therapists, sleep physicians, sleep center directors, supervisors, managers: by tenure, by day/night shift, by age (2015 vs. 2007)
- Salary by job title, by region: - 6 staff positions
Sleep Medications Market
- Summary: discussion of number of prescriptions written, mkt. potential, prime drivers of mkt. demand, performance of Belsomra
- Hurdle to overcome: past negative image of sleeping pills, long-term use, FDA fears vs. drug company efforts
- Advertising drives consumer demand: amount spent advertising the top 3 brands, Sanofi’s success with Ambien
- Research - New meds on the horizon: Ramelteon (Takeda), Provigil (Cephalon), Silenor (Somaxon), Volinanserin (Sanofi) - discussions of their usage/how they work, $ potentials, FDA approval status, setbacks for Indiplon (Neurocrine Biosciences) and Gaboxadol (Merck)
- Description of the major Rx sleeping Pill Brands (Ambien, Lunesta, Rozerem, benzodiazepines, melatonin receptors, antidepressants)
- OTC Retail Sleeping Pills: discussion
- Market Size - A Mature Market: sales of major brands, outlook, 2023 Forecast, rationale for future growth.
- sales of prescription and retail anti-insomnia drugs: 2002-2023 forecast
- sales of prescription anti-insomnia drugs, by brand
- sales of Ambien, Ambien CR: 1998-2008 (in Euros and dollars)
The Sleep Apnea Devices Market
- Summary - Background of Sleep Disordered Breathing: mkt. penetration in U.S. vs. abroad, estimates of mkt. size by industry analysts/competitors
- Product Definitions: CPAPs (continuous positive airway pressure devices), types of masks & mouthpieces used
- Market Trends: the home test mkt., comments by Wachovia analysts regarding potential and uncertainties in view of CMS ruling, move to smaller devices
- Market Size: likely effects of CMS ruling, estimates of growth rates in U.S. vs. Globally, Marketdata forecasts for 2008, 2012, positives/negatives
- The Major Respiratory Equipment Device Competitors: address list.
Competitor Profiles (company descriptions, divisions, specializations, 2015-2017 revenues, outlooks)
- Sleep apnea devices (CPAPs) sales: total, ResMed. Respironics, other companies:1995-2012F
The Mattress & Pillows Market
- Summary & Status of the market: a steady replacement business, new technology And sales/distribution outlets, e-commerce, bedding retailers disruption.
- Market Size & Growth: 2016-2017 performance, ISPA industry wholesale shipments, 2017-2018 outlook by ISPA, retail sales forecast, 2023 Marketdata forecasts, effects of housing slump
- Differences in mfg. technologies used by the major mfrs., visco, latex
- List and sales of top 5 bedding retailers
- The Ultra-premium mattress market: growth rate, % of sales, Vividus, Hypnos Beds
Competitor Profiles (company description, capabilities, specialties, historical revenues, mergers, mkt. share, distribution, outlooks, recent financials, etc.)
- Tempur Sealy Intl.
- Sleep Number (formerly: Select Comfort)
- Simmons Serta
The Sleep Pillows Market
- Discussion of new pillow designs, materials, pricing, mkt. trends
- The Sona pillow
- Estimated retail market size: 1997-2023 F
- U.S. WHOLESALE sales of mattresses & foundations, % change, units: 1987-2017
- U.S. Wholesale sales of mattresses & foundations, % change, dollars: 1987-2017
- Non-innerspring mattress unit and dollar shipments
- Estimated RETAIL sales of mattresses: 1987-2023 F
- Personal consumption expenditures for furniture & bedding: 1987-2016
Retail Sleep Devices Market
- Sleep Lamps/Light Therapy Market: use for seasonal affective disorder, dawn simulation, evolution of “light boxes’, mkt. status & leading mfrs., mkt. size, list of 9 major competitors, Company Profile: Apollo Health
- Sound Machines/White Noise Machines Market: use and technology, applications, history of development, emergence of Marpac as industry leader, list of catalog retailers selling machines (Brookstone, Hammacher Schlemmer, etc.), market size/growth.
- Eye Shades and Sleep Masks: leading competitors (Dream Essentials)
- Earplugs Market: mkt. size, leading mfrs./distributors/retailers
- Sleep Pods: Yelo & MetroNaps sleep lounges appearing in metro markets
- Sleep/Insomnia Books Market: list of titles
- Sleep apps for smartphones, leading apps
- Miscellaneous Retail Products & Services: how hotels & spas are making rooms “sleep friendly” – examples of programs/services offered.
Reference Directory of Sleep-related Trade Groups, Experts, Journals
- List of sleep market national/regional trade associations, journals, consulting firms, brokerage analysts, other key contacts – address & phones, description of activities.
- Profiles of Michael J. Breus, Ph.D. and Duane M. Johnson, Ph.D.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook