Milkybar Wowsomes - Failure Case Study
Nestlé's white chocolate bar contained breakthrough technology that resulted in it having 30% less sugar and only 95 calories. However, the single chocolate bar was launched as part of a range including a multi-pack and stock-up bags but failed less than two years after launch in 2017 due to lack of demand. This report looks at the reasons behind the product's launch and subsequent failure.
This report explores the reasons behind the failure of Nestlé's reduced-sugar innovation.
Reasons to Buy
- The launch of the product appeared to be in response to a government pressure to reduce sugar in the food and drinks industries in the UK rather than consumer demand.
- Consumers are more likely to be motivated by emotional rather than functional reasons when buying chocolate and so healthier alternatives are harder to promote.
- When in this mindset, it is more difficult to persuade consumers to change their consumption habits; brands will need to consider what compromises can be made.
- Understand a specific consumer trend and company responses in order to tap into what is really impacting the industry.
- Gain a broader appreciation of the fast-moving consumer goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
- Access valuable strategic take-outs to help direct future decision-making and inform new product development.