Country Profile: Savory Snacks Sector in India
Indian Savory Snacks sector accounted for a volume share of 13.8% in the global market and 37.9% in the regional (Asia-Pacific) market in 2016. The sector was valued at INR418,119.5 Million (US$6,221.5 Million) in 2016 and is expected to grow at a CAGR of 18.1% during 2016-2021. Rising urbanisation and growing double income households resulting in time poverty, especially among the urban dwellers, are the key drivers for the growth of convenient on-the-go Savory Snack products in the country. A large population and growing demand for branded traditional snacks such as Namkeens, Bhujia and Khakhra are also aiding the growth of Savory Snacks sector in the country. Per capita consumption in India stood at 1.23kg when compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels of 2.2kg and 1.24kg, respectively, in 2016.
Ethnic/Traditional Snacks was the largest with value sales of INR 203,845.5 Million (US$3,033.2 Million) in 2016. The Potato Chips market is expected to register fastest value growth at a CAGR of 19.5% during 2016-2021 compared to Ethnic/Traditional Snacks (17.5%), Nuts and Seeds (17.8%), Popcorn (14.2%), and Processed Snacks (16.9%).
Convenience Stores was the leading distribution channel in the Indian Savory Snacks sector, accounting for a total value share of 61.1% in 2016. It was followed by Hypermarkets & Supermarkets and Food & Drinks Specialists with value shares of 22% and 11.9%, respectively, in the same year. Flexible Packaging was the most commonly used packaging material in the Indian Savory Snacks sector with a volume share of 99.3% in 2016, followed by Paper & Board and Rigid Plastics with 0.4% and 0.2% shares respectively.
Health & Wellness attributes such as ‘Free From’ and consumer benefits such as ‘Health Management’ are the most sought after Health & Wellness claims in the Indian Savory Snacks sector. Consumption of Savory Snacks is high among the male population. Moreover, consumption is particularly high among those Indian consumers who received Tertiary education. In terms of consumption by age group, Kids & Babies and Older Young Adults together accounted for a 51.2% share in 2016.
The top five brands in the Indian Savory Snacks sector accounted for a value share of 40.6% in 2016, while private label products represented 4.4% of value share in the same year.
The report Country Profile: Savory Snacks Sector in India provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of package materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021
- Market coverage: Value and growth analysis for Ethnic/Traditional Snacks, Nuts and Seeds, Popcorn, Potato Chips, and Processed Snacks with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging data: Consumption breakdown for package materials and pack type in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Metal, and Rigid Plastics, and others; pack type data for: Bag/Sachet, Film, Stand Up Pouch, Can, Speciality container, Tray, and Jar.
Aakash Namkeens Private Limited, Balaji Foods, Bikaji Foods International Ltd., Bikanervala Foods Private Limited, Chandu, Haldiram`s Group, Jay Chikki & Snacks Pvt. Ltd, Lamba Food Products, MTR Foods Pvt Ltd., Maiyas Beverages And Foods Private Limited, Nandi, Parle Products Pvt Ltd, PepsiCo, Inc., Pure & Sure, Rose, Tasty World Pvt. Ltd., The Garden Company Limited, Waterthins, 24 Mantra Organic, Borges Mediterranean Group, Delinut Cashews, Healthy Alternative, Jabsons Foods, Jalaram Foods, Kirkland Family Foods Llc, Lion Dates Impex Pvt Ltd., Peterson Nut, Swati Dry Fruits, The Kerala State Cashew Development Corporation Ltd., Tong Garden Co. Ltd., Western India Cashew Company Pvt Ltd, Conagra Foods, Inc., Lady Liberty, Global Export Marketing Co. Ltd., Kyoritsu Foods Co.Inc., Venkataramana Food Specialties Limited, All That’s Good, Cremica Group, Itc Limited, Opera, Prataap Snacks, Diet - Foods, Italos, Dip, Home - Delite, Miaow Miaow Food Products Inc., Oriental Food Industries Sdn Bhd., Greendot Health Foods Ltd, Mission Foods Corporation, Salsalito, Snacka Lanka, Tex MexScope
Reasons to buy
- Of the five markets analysed, Ethnic/Traditional Snacks is the leading, registering a CAGR of 17.5% in value terms during 2016-2021
- Per capita consumption of Ethnic/Traditional Snacks is noticeably high in India compared to global and regional levels
- Convenience Stores is the leading channel accounting for nearly two-third of the overall sales in the distribution of Savory Snacks products in the country
- Carton - Folding is the only primary outer type used for packaging of products in the Indian Savory Snacks sector
- Kids & Babies and Older Young Adults together accounted for more than half share in the consumption of Savory Snacks
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Manufacturers can identify the opportunities to position products with H&W attributes/benefits
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Savory Snacks products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.