Global Generic Drugs Market, By Type (Small Molecule Generics vs Biosimilars), By Application (Cardiovascular Diseases, Diabetes, Neurology, Oncology, Anti-Inflammatory Diseases, Others), By Drug Delivery (Oral, Topical, Parenteral, Others), By Form (Tablet, Capsule, Injection, Others), By Source (In House vs Contract Manufacturing Organizations), By Distribution Channel (Hospital Pharmacies, Retail Pharmacies, Online Pharmacies, Others), By Company, By Region, Forecast & Opportunities, 2026
Global generic drugs market was valued at USD371.04 billion in 2020 and is anticipated to reach USD564.43 billion until 2026 by witnessing a CAGR of 7.08% during the forecast period. The global generic drugs market is driven by rising prevalence of chronic diseases across the globe. Moreover, availability of generic drugs at a lower cost and having the same chemical composition of branded drugs is one of the key factors which is positively impacting the growth of market during the forecast period. Also, increasing count of drug patent expirations is further expected to bolster the growth of market over the next few years.
The global generic drugs market is segmented based on type, application, drug delivery, form, source, distribution channel, company, and region. In terms of application, the market can be categorized into cardiovascular diseases, diabetes, neurology, oncology, anti-inflammatory diseases, others. Out of which, the cardiovascular diseases segment dominated the market by holding 35.05% market share in 2020 and the segment is expected to maintain its leading position in the market during the forecast period as well. This can be ascribed to majority of population dealing with cardiovascular diseases across the globe. On the contrary, diabetes segment is anticipated to register the highest growth in the coming years which can be attributed to ever increasing prevalence of diabetes predominantly in Asia-Pacific region. Also, growing use of metformin generic drug for the treatment of diabetes owing to its effectiveness, is further contributing to the segmental growth.
The major players operating in the global generic drugs market are Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd, Mylan NV, Sandoz International GmbH (Novartis AG), Lupin Limited, Pfizer Inc., Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited, Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc., Aurobindo Pharma Limited, Dr Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd., Fresenius Kabi AG, Aspen Pharmacare Holdings Limited, Sanofi S.A., Cipla Ltd., Novo Nordisk A/S, Abbott Laboratories Inc., and others. Major companies are developing advanced technologies and launching new products to stay competitive in the market. Other competitive strategies include mergers & acquisitions, partnership, agreements, and new developments in order to expand their geographic reach and to increase their customer base.
Years considered for this report:
Historical Years: 2016-2019
Base Year: 2020
Estimated Year: 2021
Forecast Period: 2022–2026
Objective of the Study:
- To analyze historical growth in market size of global generic drugs market from 2016 to 2019.
- To estimate and forecast the market size of global generic drugs market from 2021 to 2026 and growth rate until 2026.
- To classify and forecast global generic drugs market based on type, application, drug delivery, form, source, distribution channel, company and regional distribution.
- To identify dominant region or segment in the global generic drugs market.
- To identify drivers and challenges for global generic drugs market.
- To examine competitive developments such as expansions, new product launches, mergers & acquisitions, etc., in global generic drugs market.
- To conduct pricing analysis for global generic drugs market.
- To identify and analyze the profiles of leading players operating in global generic drugs market.
- To identify key sustainable strategies adopted by market players in global generic drugs market.
TechSci Research performed both primary as well as exhaustive secondary research for this study. Initially, TechSci Research sourced a list of manufacturers across the globe. Subsequently, TechSci Research conducted primary research surveys with the identified companies. While interviewing, the respondents were also enquired about their competitors. Through this technique, TechSci Research could include the manufacturers which could not be identified due to the limitations of secondary research. TechSci Research analyzed the products and presence of all major players across the globe.
TechSci Research calculated the market size of global generic drugs market using a bottom-up approach, wherein data for various end-user segments was recorded and forecast for the future years. TechSci Research sourced these values from the industry experts and company representatives and externally validated through analyzing historical data of these services and applications for getting an appropriate, overall market size. Various secondary sources such as company websites, news articles, press releases, company annual reports, investor presentations and financial reports were also studied by TechSci Research.
Key Target Audience:
- Generic drugs manufacturers
- Market research and consulting firms
- Government bodies such as regulating authorities and policy makers
- Organizations, forums and alliances related to generic drugs
The study is useful in providing answers to several critical questions that are important for the industry stakeholders such as manufacturers, suppliers and partners, end users, etc., besides allowing them in strategizing investments and capitalizing on market opportunities.
In this report, global generic drugs market has been segmented into following categories, in addition to the industry trends which have also been detailed below:
- Global Generic Drugs Market, By Type:
- Small Molecule Generics
- Global Generic Drugs Market, By Application:
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Anti-Inflammatory Diseases
- Global Generic Drugs Market, By Drug Delivery:
- Global Generic Drugs Market, By Form:
- Global Generic Drugs Market, By Source:
- In House
- Contract Manufacturing Organizations
- Global Generic Drugs Market, By Distribution Channel:
- Hospital Pharmacies
- Retail Pharmacies
- Online Pharmacies
- Global Generic Drugs Market, By Region:
- North America
- United States
- United Kingdom
- South Korea
- Middle East & Africa
- South Africa
- Saudi Arabia
- South America
Company Profiles: Detailed analysis of the major companies present in global generic drugs market.
With the given market data, TechSci Research offers customizations according to a company’s specific needs. The following customization options are available for the report:
- Detailed analysis and profiling of additional market players (up to five).
Report will be updated with the latest data and delivered to you within 3-5 working days of order. Single User license will be delivered in PDF format without