Generics in Canada - Market Summary, Competitive Analysis and Forecast to 2025
Generics in Canada industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2016-20, and forecast to 2025). The profile also contains descriptions of the leading players including key financial metrics and analysis of competitive pressures within the market.
- For the purposes of this profile, a generic drug is defined as a copy of an ethical (prescription) drug formerly protected by patents that have now expired. Both unbranded generics and all branded generics are included. However, off-patent drugs that continue to be offered by the original manufacturer under the original name, and which form part of the 'generic-eligible' market, are not included.
- The Canadian generics market had total revenues of $5.3bn in 2020, representing a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 2.5% between 2016 and 2020.
- Market consumption volume increased with a CAGR of 1.2% between 2016 and 2020, to reach a total of 73.8% in 2020.
- Canada has some of the highest prices for generics in the world, which means that revenues can be large, but provinces are working together to make the system fairer and improve access to cheaper medication.
Reasons to Buy
- Save time carrying out entry-level research by identifying the size, growth, major segments, and leading players in the generics market in Canada
- Use the Five Forces analysis to determine the competitive intensity and therefore attractiveness of the generics market in Canada
- Leading company profiles reveal details of key generics market players’ global operations and financial performance
- Add weight to presentations and pitches by understanding the future growth prospects of the Canada generics market with five year forecasts
- What was the size of the Canada generics market by value in 2020?
- What will be the size of the Canada generics market in 2025?
- What factors are affecting the strength of competition in the Canada generics market?
- How has the market performed over the last five years?
- What are the main segments that make up Canada's generics market?
List of TablesTable 1: Canada generics market value: $ million, 2016-20Table 2: Canada generics market volume: %, 2016-20Table 3: Canada generics market geography segmentation: $ million, 2020Table 4: Canada generics market value forecast: $ million, 2020-25Table 5: Canada generics market volume forecast: %, 2020-25Table 6: Pfizer Inc.: key factsTable 7: Pfizer Inc.: Annual Financial RatiosTable 8: Pfizer Inc.: Key EmployeesTable 9: Pfizer Inc.: Key Employees ContinuedTable 10: Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited: key factsTable 11: Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited: Annual Financial RatiosTable 12: Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited: Key EmployeesTable 13: Apotex, Inc.: key factsTable 14: Apotex, Inc.: Key EmployeesTable 15: Viatris Inc.: key factsTable 16: Viatris Inc.: Annual Financial RatiosTable 17: Viatris Inc.: Key EmployeesTable 18: Canada size of population (million), 2016-20Table 19: Canada gdp (constant 2005 prices, $ billion), 2016-20Table 20: Canada gdp (current prices, $ billion), 2016-20Table 21: Canada inflation, 2016-20Table 22: Canada consumer price index (absolute), 2016-20Table 23: Canada exchange rate, 2016-20List of FiguresFigure 1: Canada generics market value: $ million, 2016-20Figure 2: Canada generics market volume: %, 2016-20Figure 3: Canada generics market geography segmentation: % share, by value, 2020Figure 4: Canada generics market value forecast: $ million, 2020-25Figure 5: Canada generics market volume forecast: %, 2020-25Figure 6: Forces driving competition in the generics market in Canada, 2020Figure 7: Drivers of buyer power in the generics market in Canada, 2020Figure 8: Drivers of supplier power in the generics market in Canada, 2020Figure 9: Factors influencing the likelihood of new entrants in the generics market in Canada, 2020Figure 10: Factors influencing the threat of substitutes in the generics market in Canada, 2020Figure 11: Drivers of degree of rivalry in the generics market in Canada, 2020
- 1 Executive Summary
- 1.1. Market value
- 1.2. Market value forecast
- 1.3. Market volume
- 1.4. Market volume forecast
- 1.5. Geography segmentation
- 1.6. Market rivalry
- 1.7. Competitive Landscape
- 2 Market Overview
- 2.1. Market definition
- 2.2. Market analysis
- 3 Market Data
- 3.1. Market value
- 3.2. Market volume
- 4 Market Segmentation
- 4.1. Geography segmentation
- 5 Market Outlook
- 5.1. Market value forecast
- 5.2. Market volume forecast
- 6 Five Forces Analysis
- 6.1. Summary
- 6.2. Buyer power
- 6.3. Supplier power
- 6.4. New entrants
- 6.5. Threat of substitutes
- 6.6. Degree of rivalry
- 7 Competitive Landscape
- 7.1. Who are the leading players?
- 7.2. What are the strengths/weaknesses of the leading players?
- 7.3. Has there been any significant recent M&A activity?
- 7.4. How has the COVID-19 pandemic impacted leading players?
- 8 Company Profiles
- 8.1. Pfizer Inc.
- 8.2. Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited
- 8.3. Apotex, Inc.
- 8.4. Viatris Inc.
- 9 Macroeconomic Indicators
- 9.1. Country data
- 10 Appendix
- 10.1. Methodology
- 10.2. Industry associations
- 10.3. Related MarketLine research
- 10.4. About MarketLine