MediPoint: Partial Knee Replacement - North America Analysis and Market ForecastsWhat is the current and future Partial knee replacement (PKR) market outlook in the developed and emerging markets? What trends are affecting the North American market?Which are the key, high growth markets that Partial knee replacement (PKR) manufacturers should expand into?What are the unmet needs with the current generation of Partial knee replacement (PKR) devices? How will emerging technologies fulfill these unmet needs?What are the challenges and complications that have hindered widespread adoption?With developing the next-generation of devices, what aspects of the technology are device manufacturers focused on optimizing? How will new entrants impact the Partial knee replacement (PKR) market?Scope
The incidences of osteoarthritis of the knee and other degenerative knee diseases are increasing simultaneously with the aging population. Partial knee replacement (PKR), or unicondylar knee arthroplasty (UKA), is an alternative to total knee arthroplasty (TKA) used to treat patients whose osteoarthritic condition is isolated to the medial or lateral tibio-femoral compartments. PKR is a less invasive procedure than TKA that replaces only the damaged part of the joint with a prosthesis, resulting in less blood loss and the preservation of healthy ligaments, cartilage, and bone in the knee. The decision to undergo a PKR instead of TKR is based on the disease stage, patient expectations, published results, and surgeon expertise.
Over the past two decades, there has been increasing interest in Partial knee replacement (PKR) as a means of treating unicompartmental knee osteoarthritis. Indications have expanded while previous contraindications such as age, body mass index, patellofemoral osteoarthritis, and anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) deficiency have been lifted. Technological advancements in implant design, fixation methods, and surgical techniques have led to improved survival rates, better patient-reported outcomes, and reduced complications. Interest is growing in robotic-assisted techniques, which are poised to optimize results and reproducibility. Cementless designs also look promising, although given the anatomy of the knee condyles, this might introduce more risks to the overall procedure.
The North American Partial knee replacement (PKR) market was estimated at $150+M in 2016 across the three markets covered in this report (Canada, Mexico, and the US). By the end of the forecast period in 2023, it is estimated that the market will grow approximately at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 1.2%.
As countries’ economy grows, the volume of partial knee replacement procedures is expected to increase further, primarily due to the demographics of an aging population and a trend towards early surgical intervention in younger patients. In the forecast years, launching and marketing a comprehensive large joint portfolio with a clear value proposition will remain critical to companies’ success as they jockey for market position. A long-term foothold within the global knee market hinges on how well companies can align themselves with the primary market force buffeting healthcare today: the need to deliver top-notch, cost-effective care.
Given the heightened competitive pressures and shrinking reimbursement, the average selling price for Partial knee replacement (PKR) implants is expected to decline. However, it is expected that the revenue from increased procedure volume will make up for this loss.This report focuses on the market outlook for Partial knee replacement (PKR) devices in North America (Canada, Mexico, and US). The analysis identifies the key unmet needs in the Partial knee replacement (PKR) market, discusses the major drivers and barriers of adoption, and provides an in-depth understanding of physicians’ perceptions and the future outlook for this market by segment and geography.
Key Questions Answered
Reasons to buy
- Overview of recent key industry events and analysis of their market impact.
- Annualized total market revenue, procedure trends, and market outlooks by segment and by region through 2023.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, identification of unmet needs, reimbursement considerations, evaluating market access in each region covered in the report, and implications of the emerging technologies in the market.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global PKR market. Insightful review of industry drivers, barriers, and challenges.
The report will enable you to -
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of marketed products and technologies.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the video laparoscopes market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the video laparoscopes market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analyzing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Track device sales in country-specific video laparoscopes market from 2014-2023.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
- 1 About the Authors 2
- 1.1 Analyst 2
- 1.1.1 Tobe Madu, MSc, Analyst, Medical Devices 2
- 2 Table of Contents 3
- 2.1 List of Tables 4
- 2.2 List of Figures 4
- 3 Executive Summary 5
- 3.1 Key Metrics 5
- 3.2 Market Dynamics 7
- 3.3 Key Players 7
- 3.4 Future Outlook 8
- 3.5 What Do Physicians Think? 8
- 4 Introduction 10
- 4.1 Catalyst 10
- 4.2 Related Reports 10
- 4.3 Upcoming Related Reports 12
- 5 Market Outlook 13
- 5.1 Procedure Trends 13
- 5.2 Pricing Trends 13
- 5.3 Revenue Trends 14
- 5.4 Company Share Analysis 14
- 6 Market Insights 15
- 6.1 North America 15
- 6.1.1 Canada 15
- 6.1.2 Mexico 15
- 6.1.3 US 16
- 7 Competitive Assessment 18
- 7.1 Overview 18
- 7.1.1 Robotic Technologies 18
- 7.1.2 Generic Implants to Address Cost Concerns 19
- 7.1.3 Advanced Materials 20
- 7.1.4 Emerging Countries 21
- 7.2 DePuy Synthes 22
- 7.2.1 Portfolio Assessment 22
- 7.2.2 Deal Analysis 22
- 7.2.3 Competitive Positioning 23
- 7.3 Stryker 23
- 7.3.1 Portfolio Assessment 23
- 7.3.2 Deal Analysis 24
- 7.3.3 Competitive Positioning 24
- 7.4 Smith & Nephew 25
- 7.4.1 Portfolio Assessment 25
- 7.4.2 Deal Analysis 26
- 7.4.3 Competitive Positioning 26
- 7.5 Zimmer Biomet 27
- 7.5.1 Portfolio Assessment 27
- 7.5.2 Deal Analysis 27
- 7.5.3 Competitive Positioning 27
- 7.6 Other Players 27
- 8 Appendix 29
- 8.1 Bibliography 29
- 8.2 Abbreviations 32
- 8.3 Methodology 34
- 8.3.1 Overview 34
- 8.3.2 Coverage 34
- 8.3.3 Secondary Research 34
- 8.3.4 Forecasting Methodology 35
- 8.3.5 Primary Research Summary 36
- 8.4 About MediPoint 37
- 8.5 About GlobalData 37
- 8.6 Contact Us 37
- 8.7 Disclaimer 38
- List of Tables
- Table 1: PKR Market, Key Metrics, 2016-2023 6
- Table 2: North America PKR Procedure Volume Forecast, 2014-2023 14
- Table 3: North America PKR Implant Average Selling Price ($) Forecast, 2014-2023 14
- Table 4: North America PKR Market Revenue Forecast ($M), 2014-2023 15
- Table 5: North America PKR Company Share Analysis, 20161 15
- Table 6: DePuy Synthes - Key Marketed Products Assessment 23
- Table 7: DePuy Synthes - Key Clinical Trials 23
- Table 8: Stryker - Key Marketed Products Assessment 24
- Table 9: Stryker - Key Clinical Trials 25
- Table 10: Smith & Nephew - Key Marketed Products Assessment 26
- Table 11: Zimmer Biomet - Key Marketed Products Assessment 28
- Table 12: Summary of Other Players in the PKR Market, 2016 29
- List of Figures
- Figure 1: North America PKR Market Share Comparison by Country, 2016 and 2023 7