Country Profile: Spirits Sector in the UK
UK Spirits sector accounted for a volume share of 1.2% of the global market and 15.3% of the regional (Western Europe) market, in 2016. The sector is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.1% during 2016-2021. Improving economy coupled with rising disposable income and, increasing demand for high quality products with distinct flavors are driving the UK Spirits sector. Per capita consumption stood at 5.6 liters compared to the global and Western Europe levels of 6.4 liters and 5.7 liters, respectively, in 2016.
Vodka was the largest with value sales of £4,093.6 Million (US$5,521.8 Million) in 2016. Rum is expected to grow the fastest at a CAGR of 5.8% compared to Brandy (4.1%), Liqueurs, Gin & Genever, Specialty Spirits, Tequila & Mezcal, Liqueurs (4.1%), and Whiskey.
Hypermarkets & Supermarkets accounted for the largest volume share of 31.6% in the distribution of Spirits in 2016. On-trade transactions accounted for 29.9% share in the same year. It was followed by Food & Drinks Specialists and Convenience Stores with shares of 26% and 4.9%, respectively, in the same year. Glass is the most commonly used package material in the UK Spirits sector. In 2016, it accounted for a volume share of 98.53%, followed by Flexible Packaging and Rigid Metal with shares of 1.45% and 0.02% respectively.
Consumption of Spirits was higher among the male population in 2016 compared to females. Consumption of Spirits was also high among UK consumers who received Tertiary Education. In terms of consumption by age group, Older Consumers and Older Young Adults together accounted for a 52.6% share in 2016. The top five brands in the UK Spirits sector accounted for 24.6% volume share in 2016. Private labels accounted for 7.5% share by volume in the same year.
The report Country Profile: Spirits Sector in the UK provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021. The overall market value and volume included in the report is split on the basis of On-trade and Off-trade
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Brandy, Gin & Genever, Liqueurs, Rum, Specialty Spirits, Tequila & Mezcal, Vodka, and Whiskey with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as On-trade, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging data: Consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Rigid Metal and others; pack type data for: Bottle and Stand Up Pouch.
Diageo PLC, UK,Bacardi Limited, Brown-Forman Corporation,Czar,Loch Lomond Group,CEDC International Sp. z oo,Pernod Ricard SA,The Edrington Group,William Grant & Sons Ltd.,Pernod Ricard SA,Glen Catrine Bonded Warehouse,SUNTORY HOLDINGS LIMITED.,Russian Standard Corporation,William Grant & Sons Ltd.,Halewood International Limited,Universal Brand Ltd.,Spi Group,Whyte & Mackay Ltd,Brown-Forman Corporation,Distillerie Francolis,Illva Saronno S.P.A.Scope
Reasons to buy
- Spirits sector in the UK accounted for 15.3% volume share in the Western European region in 2016.
- The top five brands accounting for 24.6% share in 2016.
- The Spirits sector in the UK is forecast to grow at 4.1% CAGR in value terms during 2016-2021
- Consumers’ are trading up to premium products in the UK Spirits sector
- Per capita consumption of Vodka is high in UK when compared to global and regional levels
- Older Consumers and Older Young Adults together accounted for 52.6% share of consumption.
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Spirits consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the market that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.