Electric Vehicle Platform Strategy of Global Passenger Vehicle OEMs, Forecast to 2025
With emission regulations getting stricter around the world, long-range electric vehicles (EVs) have become the need of the hour. One way of improving range is by underpinning future battery EVs (BEVs) on dedicated EV platforms. This study delves into the key platform strategies that are expected to be adopted by global passenger vehicle OEMs and their approach towards EVs and EV infrastructure. This research also involves a comparative analysis of OEMs’ EV platform strategy through 2025 and highlights the trends that are arising as a result of the introduction of dedicated EV platforms in the OEM product portfolio.
This study answers several key questions:
• What is the need for an EV, and what are the driving forces behind the need for a dedicated EV platform?
• How are OEMs addressing the challenge of the high development costs of dedicated platforms? What strategies are OEMs adopting to
effectively use both existing ICE platforms and dedicated platforms?
• What vehicle segments are OEMs targeting to launch BEVs and PHEVs on dedicated and ICE platforms? What are the target segments among
key premium and non-premium OEMs?
• How are dedicated platforms going to influence the vehicle range and battery capacity industry average? What changes are OEMs making to
vehicles on dedicated platforms to differentiate them from existing ICE models, and why?
• What are top strategies among OEMs that are influenced by dedicated platforms? How are dedicated platforms driving the industry towards
Given that this topic is a focal point for automotive OEMs to consider for future vehicle development, recommendations also are presented:
• Opportunities exist for global OEMs to partner with Chinese OEMs to develop China-specific models on dedicated platforms since EV demand
in China is huge.
• The modularity of dedicated platforms can be exploited to launch SUVs in niche segments, such as between compact and midsize.
• Plug-in variants of existing models can help reduce time to market and meet regulations simultaneously.
The EV platforms of the following OEMs are discussed in this study: BMW Group, Daimler Group, Volkswagen Group (VW, Skoda, SEAT, Audi, Porsche), PSA (Peugeot, Citroen, DS), Tata Group (Jaguar, Land Rover), Geely Group (Volvo), General Motors, Ford, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, and Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook