DelveInsight’s ‘Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) - Market Insights, Epidemiology and Market Forecast—2030’ report delivers an in-depth understanding of the CRPS, historical and forecasted epidemiology as well as the CRPS market trends in the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and United Kingdom), and Japan.
The CRPS market report provides current treatment practices, emerging drugs, CRPS market share of the individual therapies, current and forecasted CRPS market size from 2017 to 2030 segmented by seven major markets. The Report also covers current CRPS treatment practice/algorithm, market drivers, market barriers and unmet medical needs to curate best of the opportunities and assesses underlying potential of the market.
• The United States
• EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom)
Study Period: 2017–2030
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS) Disease Understanding and Treatment Algorithm
Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Overview
Complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS) is one of the most challenging chronic pain condition that is characterized by progressively worsening spontaneous regional pain without dermatomal distribution. The pain experienced is out of proportion in time and severity to the inciting event and accompanied by symptoms that vary in severity including skin changes, autonomic dysfunction, abnormal sensory and motor changes, and trophic changes. CRPS may develop after major trauma, surgery, or minor injury, and progresses with a variable course that ranges from self-limiting, mild symptomatology to chronic disease. In many cases, disease progression is debilitating and severely limits patients’ quality of life, creating a tremendous burden on patients and their families. Over time, CRPS has been defined and redefined. CRPS develops after an inciting noxious stimulus to an affected limb. There is little agreement with regards to the etiology, symptoms, clinical presentation, diagnosis, or treatment of CRPS.
In order to bring some uniformity to this problem, the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP) in 1994 introduced the term CRPS to describe a wide variety of post-traumatic neuropathic pain conditions of the limbs. There are two types of CRPS, Type I occurs after an illness or injury that did not directly damage a nerve in the affected area, and Type II follows a distinct nerve injury. Although the triggers vary, both types of CRPS have the same symptoms and go through the same three stages of the disease. CRPS used to be known as reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD) (Type I) and causalgia (Type II). Type I comprises about 90 percent of all cases of CRPS. Patients typically progress through three stages —Stage I or acute stage (may last up to 3 months), Stage II or Dystrophic stage (can last 3–12 months), Stage III and atrophic stage (occurs after 1 year). There are no objective diagnostic tests for CRPS. Since, its pathophysiologic basis of CRPS is not fully understood, mechanism-based diagnosis is not yet feasible. Therefore, the diagnosis of CRPS is based solely on clinical signs and symptoms. The actual diagnosis of CRPS is made solely based on history and physical examination to determine whether a patient meets CRPS diagnostic criteria (often called the Budapest criteria). Other than this, objective testing (thermography, triple-phase bone scan, quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test, or a trial sympathetic ganglion block) may be used to support a clinical diagnosis.
There are no objective diagnostic tests for CRPS. Since, its pathophysiologic basis of CRPS is not fully understood, mechanism-based diagnosis is not yet feasible. Therefore, the diagnosis of CRPS is based solely on clinical signs and symptoms. The actual diagnosis of CRPS is made solely based on history and physical examination to determine whether a patient meets CRPS diagnostic criteria (often called the Budapest criteria). Other than this, objective testing (thermography, triple-phase bone scan, quantitative sudomotor axon reflex test, or a trial sympathetic ganglion block) may be used to support a clinical diagnosis.
Given these obstacles to diagnosis, treatment, and research, Interdisciplinary approach is currently practiced widely for the management of CRPS which define the market scenario. Different interventional and non-interventional treatment modalities are applied empirically in a timely manner to facilitate reanimation of the affected extremity. Current treatment for CRPS includes non-surgical methods like medications (Pain reliever, Antidepressants and anticonvulsants, Corticosteroids, and Sympathetic nerve-blocking medication), Biofeedback, and therapy.
The CRPS epidemiology division provides the insights about historical and current CRPS patient pool and forecasted trend for each seven major countries. It helps to recognize the causes of current and forecasted trends by exploring numerous studies and views of key opinion leaders. This part of the DelveInsight report also provides the diagnosed patient pool and their trends along with assumptions undertaken.
In the year 2017, the total prevalent case of CRPS was 310,489 in the 7MM which are expected to grow during the study period, i.e., 2017–2030.
The disease epidemiology covered in the report provides historical as well as forecasted CRPS epidemiology [segmented as Total prevalent cases of CRPS, Total diagnosed prevalent cases of CRPS, Gender-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of CRPS, Age-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of CRPS, Type-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of CRPS, Severity-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of CRPS, and Total Treated Cases of CRPS scenario of CRPS in the 7MM covering United States, EU5 countries (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and United Kingdom), and Japan from 2017 to 2030.
Country Wise- CRPS Epidemiology
• In the United States, the total number of prevalent cases of CRPS was 219,317 cases in the year 2017 which are expected to grow during the study period, i.e., 2017–2030.
• In the year 2017, the total prevalent cases of CRPS were 84,850 cases in EU-5 which are expected to grow during the study period, i.e., 2017–2030.
• In Japan, the total number of prevalent cases of CRPS was 6,323 cases in the year 2017 which are expected to grow during the study period, i.e., 2017–2030.
• In the 7MM, the total gender-specific diagnosed prevalent cases of CRPS were 47,699 for males and 102,987 for females in the year 2017.
• In 7MM, the highest number (~87% of CRPS cases) of type-specific diagnosed prevalent cases recorded in 2017 for CRPS I, i.e., 131,278 cases.
• This condition affects people of all ages. Around 3/4th cases of CRPS are reported in the people age group of 20–60 years of age. In the 7MM, the age-specific diagnosed prevalent cases for age-group 40–59 years were 72,247 in 2017.
CRPS Drug Chapters
Drug chapter segment of the CRPS report encloses the detailed analysis of CRPS developmental stage pipeline drugs. It also helps to understand the CRPS clinical trial details, expressive pharmacological action, agreements and collaborations, approval and patent details, advantages and disadvantages of each included drug and the latest news and press releases.
CRPS Emerging Drugs
Soticlestat (TAK-935/OV935): Ovid Therapeutics/Takeda
Soticlestat, also known as OV935 or TAK-935 is a potent, highly selective, first-in-class inhibitor of the enzyme cholesterol 24-hydroxylase (CH24H), with the potential to reduce seizure susceptibility and improve seizure control. CH24H is predominantly expressed in the brain, where it converts cholesterol into 24S-hydroxycholesterol (24HC) to adjust the homeostatic balance of brain cholesterol. Soticlestat has completed (October 2020) Phase II (NCT03990649; EudraCT 2018-004750-21) of clinical trial in patients with CRPS.
BHV-5000: AstraZeneca/Biohaven Pharmaceutical
Biohaven Pharmaceutical’s, BHV-5000 is an orally available, first-in-class, low-trapping, NMDA receptor antagonist. It is being developed for the treatment of neuropsychiatric disorders such as CRPS, Rett Syndrome and Major Depression. The company has already completed a Phase I trial in 2018 to evaluate its pharmacokinetic properties. This drug was reported to be well-tolerated.
Note: Detailed emerging therapies assessment will be provided in the final report.
CRPS Market Outlook
The CRPS market size in the 7MM is expected to change during the study period 2017–2030. The therapeutic market of CRPS in the seven major markets was USD 65 million in 2017 which is expected to increase during study period (2017–2030). According to the estimates, the highest market size of CRPS is found in the United States followed by Germany, France, and the UK.
The United States Market Outlook
In 2017, the total market size of CRPS therapies was USD 55 million in the United States which is expected to increase in the study period (2017–2030).
EU-5 Countries: Market Outlook
In 2017, the total market size of CRPS therapies was USD 9.5 million in the EU-5 countries which is expected to increase in the study period (2017–2030).
Japan Market Outlook
The total market size of CRPS therapies in Japan was USD 0.7 million in 2017 which is expected to increase in the study period (2017–2030).
CRPS Pipeline Development Activities
The drugs which are in pipeline include:
1. Soticlestat (TAK-935/OV935): Ovid Therapeutics/Takeda
2. BHV-5000: AstraZeneca/Biohaven Pharmaceutical
Note: Detailed emerging therapies assessment will be provided in the final report.
CRPS Drugs Uptake
There is dearth of US FDA and EMA approved therapies for CRPS and current market is mainly dominated by off-label therapies such as Non-opioid analgesics, Opioid analgesics, Co-analgesics, Local treatment, and others. In the absence of approved therapies, Opioid analgesics which are mainly reserved for Moderate-to-severe or refractory pool, grabbed the highest market share in 2017, followed by Co-analgesics among the off-label therapies. In comparison to all the therapies (off-label and forecasted therapies), Soticlestat (TAK-935) will going to have a major influence on market size CRPS in the 7MM, if approved.
Access and Reimbursement Scenario in CRPS Therapies
• CRPS is a rare disease, and one of the most crippling persistent conditions. A few factors which act as barriers to adequate care apart from insufficient insurance coverage for pain management services, are scarcities of medical and behavioral pain management experts, underestimation of patients’ reports of pain, vain working medication supply frameworks, and dearth of research on CRPS management approaches.
To keep up with current market trends, we take KOLs and SME’s opinion working in CRPS domain through primary research to fill the data gaps and validate our secondary research. Their opinion helps to understand and validate current and emerging therapies treatment patterns or CRPS market trend. This will support the clients in potential upcoming novel treatment by identifying the over CRPS scenario of the market and the unmet needs.
Competitive Intelligence Analysis
We perform Competitive and Market Intelligence analysis of the CRPS Market by using various Competitive Intelligence tools that includes – SWOT analysis, PESTLE analysis, Porter’s five forces, BCG Matrix, Market entry strategies etc. The inclusion of the analysis entirely depends upon the data availability.
Scope of the Report
• The report covers the descriptive overview of CRPS, explaining its causes, signs and symptoms, pathophysiology and currently available therapies.
• Comprehensive insight has been provided into the CRPS epidemiology and treatment in the 7MM.
• Additionally, an all-inclusive account of both the current and emerging therapies for CRPS is provided, along with the assessment of new therapies, which will have an impact on the current treatment landscape.
• A detailed review of CRPS market; historical and forecasted is included in the report, covering drug outreach in the 7MM.
• The report provides an edge while developing business strategies, by understanding trends shaping and driving the global CRPS market.
• In the coming years, CRPS market is set to change due to the rising awareness of the disease and incremental healthcare spending across the world; which would expand the size of the market to enable the drug manufacturers to penetrate more into the market.
• The companies and academics are working to assess challenges and seek opportunities that could influence CRPS R&D. The therapies under development are focused on novel approaches to treat/improve the disease condition.
• Major players are involved in developing therapies for CRPS. Launch of emerging therapies, will significantly impact the CRPS market.
• A better understanding of disease pathogenesis will also contribute to the development of novel therapeutics for CRPS.
• Our in-depth analysis of the pipeline assets across different stages of development different emerging trends and comparative analysis of pipeline products with detailed clinical profiles, key cross-competition, launch date along with product development activities will support the clients in the decision-making process regarding their therapeutic portfolio by identifying the over CRPS scenario of the research and development activities.
CRPS Report Insights
• Patient Population
• Therapeutic Approaches
• CRPS Pipeline Analysis
• CRPS Market Size and Trends
• Market Opportunities
• Impact of upcoming Therapies
CRPS Report Key Strengths
• 11 Years Forecast
• 7MM Coverage
• CRPS Epidemiology Segmentation
• Key Cross Competition
• Highly Analyzed Market
• Drugs Uptake
CRPS Report Assessment
• SWOT Analysis
• Current Treatment Practices
• Unmet Needs
• Pipeline Product Profiles
• Conjoint Analysis
• Market Attractiveness
• Market Drivers and Barriers
• What was the CRPS Market share (%) distribution in 2017 and how it would look like in 2030?
• What would be the CRPS total market size as well as market size by therapies across the 7MM during the study period (2017–2030)?
• What are the key findings pertaining to the market across the 7MM and which country will have the largest CRPS market size during the study period (2017–2030)?
• At what CAGR, the CRPS market is expected to grow in the 7MM during the study period (2017–2030)?
• What would be the CRPS market outlook across the 7MM during the study period (2017–2030)?
• What would be the CRPS market growth till 2030 and what will be the resultant market size in the year 2030?
• How would the market drivers, barriers and future opportunities affect the market dynamics and a subsequent analysis of the associated trends?
• CRPS patient types/pool where unmet need is more and whether emerging therapies will be able to address the residual unmet need?
• How emerging therapies are performing on the parameters like efficacy, safety, route of administration (RoA), treatment duration and frequencies on the basis of their clinical trial results?
• Among the emerging therapies, what are the potential therapies which are expected to disrupt the CRPS market?
• What is the disease risk, burden and unmet needs of the CRPS?
• What is the historical CRPS patient pool in the seven major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom) and Japan?
• What would be the forecasted patient pool of CRPS in the 7 major markets covering the United States, EU5 (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom) and Japan?
• What will be the growth opportunities in the 7MM with respect to the patient population pertaining to CRPS?
• Out of CRPS the 7MM countries, which country would have the highest prevalent population of CRPS during the study period (2017–2030)?
• At what CAGR the population is expected to grow in the 7MM during the study period (2017–2030)?
• What are the various recent and upcoming events which are expected to improve the diagnosis of CRPS?
Current Treatment Scenario and Emerging Therapies:
• What are the current options for the treatment of CRPS?
• What are the current treatment guidelines for the treatment of CRPS in the US, Europe and Japan?
• How many companies are developing therapies for the treatment of CRPS?
• How many therapies are developed by each company for the treatment of CRPS?
• How many emerging therapies are in mid stage, and late stage of development for the treatment of CRPS?
• What are the key collaborations (Industry–Industry, Industry–Academia), Mergers and acquisitions, licensing activities related to the CRPS therapies?
• What are the recent novel therapies, targets, mechanisms of action and technologies developed to overcome the limitation of existing therapies?
• What are the clinical studies going on for CRPS and their status?
• What are the key designations that have been granted for the emerging therapies for CRPS?
• What is the global historical and forecasted market of CRPS?
Reasons to buy
The report will help in developing business strategies by understanding trends shaping and driving the CRPS market.
To understand the future market competition in the CRPS market and Insightful review of the key market drivers and barriers.
Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for CRPS in the US, Europe (Germany, France, Italy, Spain, and the United Kingdom) and Japan.
Identification of strong upcoming players in market will help in devising strategies that will help in getting ahead of competitors.
Organize sales and marketing efforts by identifying the best opportunities for CRPS market.
To understand the future market competition in the CRPS market.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook