Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) are multipotent stem cells that can differentiate into a variety of cell types, including osteoblasts, chondrocytes, myocytes, adipocytes, beta-pancreatic islets cells, and potentially, neuronal cells. MSCs are of intense therapeutic interest because they represent a population of cells with the potential to treat a wide range of acute and degenerative diseases.
MSCs are advantageous over other stem cells types for a variety of reasons: they avoid the ethical issues that surround embryonic stem cell research, and repeated studies have found MSCs to be immuno-privileged, which make them an advantageous cell type for allogenic transplantation. MSCs reduce both the risks of rejection and complications of transplantation. Recently, there have been advances in the use of autologous mesenchymal stem cells to regenerate human tissues, including cartilage, meniscus, tendons, bone fractures, and more.
Trend analysis of grant activity, scientific publication rates, and patent applications trends reveal that global research activity involving mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) increased 112% from 2009 to 2010, and 116% from 2010 to 2011. Of most interest is that this rate of growth accelerated throughout 2012, making mesenchymal stem cells the fastest growing area of stem cell research.
Because mesenchymal stem cell researchers represent a rapidly growing, well-funded research community, Mesenchymal Stem Cells - Advances and Applications
presents strategies for research supply companies to use to develop high-demand products for this community. A key element of this report is a survey of mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) researchers. This survey reveals critical findings that include:
- Preferred Tissue Source for MSCs
- Preferred Species Source for MSCs
- MSC Product Preferences
- Most Commonly Utilized MSC Antibodies
- Terms Used in Online Search (for targeting your ads with precision)
It is also important for bio-pharmaceutical and pharma companies interested in mesenchymal stem cell therapy applications to understand underlying market forces, and in particular, to consider progressive areas of MSC research as opportunistic areas for drug and therapy development. This report presents a range of topics of interest to these companies as well, including how advances in MSC research can reveal potential new drug targets, improve methods of drug delivery, and provide personalized treatment strategies.
Highlights of this report include:
The market intelligence contained in this report was compiled using a broad range of sources, including:
- Charts, Timelines, Metrics and Financials
- Rates of MSC Grants, Publications, and Patents
- Market Characterization and 5-Year Projections
- Breakdown of MSC Research Activity by Application, Species, Tissue Source
- Geographical Assessment of Market Demand
- Competitive Environment Analysis, by MSC Product Supplier
- Recent Product Evolution and Unmet Market Needs
- Online Advertising Assessment and Opportunities for Targeted Traffic
- Revealing Survey of Your Prospective Clients - MSC Scientists
- End-User Wants, Technical Preferences, Factors Influencing Buying Decisions
- And Much More...
- MSC grant funding (NIH database, DoD database)
- MSC patents (USPTO)
- MSC publications (PubMed, Highwire Press)
- MSC product launch announcements (Google News, Trade Journals)
- International surveys (electronically distributed end-user surveys)
- And more
These sources were used to identify recent advances in MSC research applications, explore research priorities by market segment, highlight individual labs and end-users of MSC research products, explore the competitive environment for MSC research products, and provide 5-year growth and trend analysis. As such, this market intelligence report will advantageously position your company to offer competitive MSC products to this rapidly growing, well-funded research community.
You'll also access information on:
- Recent Product Evolution
- Projected Directions for Development
- Overview of Therapeutic Progress and Insight into Future Applications
- Detailed Evaluation of Profit Opportunities for Research Product Suppliers
In summary, literature and data concerning the biology and differentiation potential of mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) has become huge in less than 10 years, now totaling nearly 13,000 publications, although some data does present as contradictory, suggesting a heterogenic nature for MSC populations depending on source tissue, species, and donor characteristics. MSCs appear to be an exceptionally promising tool for cell therapy because of their unusual characteristics, which partially mimic those of embryonic stem cells, but have advantages in terms of availability, expandability, transplantability, and ethical implications.
Interest in therapeutic applications of human MSCs arises from their diverse ability to differentiate into a range of cell types, as well as from their ability to migrate to sites of tissue injury/inflammation or tumor growth. These localization properties present a promising strategy for targeted introduction of therapeutic agents through MSC gene therapy. In addition, MSCs possess strong immunosuppressive properties that medical researchers are exploiting for both autologous as well as heterologous therapies.
Characterized by these properties, it not surprising that trend analysis reveals rapid increases in research activity involving mesenchymal stem cells. With scientific publication rate increases of 112% year-over-year from 2009 to 2010, and 116% from 2010 to 2011, this report will help you understand and profit from the mesenchymal stem cell (MSC) product market – the fastest growing area of stem cell research.