MEMS Automobile Sensors Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025)
The MEMS automobile sensor Market was valued at USD 1816.45 million in 2019, and is expected to reach USD 4080.23 million by 2025, recording a CAGR of 14.61%, over the forecast period 2020-2025. The increase in demand for safety applications and robust, reliable, and cost-effective sensors will drive the MEMS automobile sensor market in the forecast period.
- The growing demand for safety and security in automobiles is one of the main factors that is playing a vital role in the growth of the market. According to the World Health Organization, globally, more than 1.55 million people are killed in road accidents every year, and about 50 million people get injured. MEMS sensors play a critical role in improving the safety features of vehicles and act as catalysts for the growth of the market.
- The emergence of electric vehicles (EVs) in the industry has dramatically impacted the demand for and distribution of pressure and magnetic sensors and is expected to further increase the demand in the long-term. Increasing sales of electric cars is thereby increasing the demand for sensors, along with the surge in sensors for used battery monitoring, and various positioning and detection of moving parts of the automobiles.
- Mandated safety systems, such as tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) and electronic stability control (ESC) attained full implementation in new vehicles in major automotive markets. The United States, for instance, is currently driving the revenue growth for MEMS sensors.
- The growing demand for safety and security in the automobiles is one of the main factors, which is playing a vital role in the growth of the market. According to the World Health Organization, globally more than 1.55 million people are killed in road accidents every year, and about 50 million people get injured. The MEMS sensors play a critical role in improving the safety features of the vehicles and act as a catalyst for the growth of the market.
- The major challenge for the MEMS sensors for automobiles would be the high installation costs and its integration due to the interface design consideration in automotive vehicles.
Scope of the Report
The MEMS sensor is actually a chip which is indispensably incorporated in almost every vehicle and electronic devices today. MEMS sensor technology is used in a wide variety of modern era automotive sensors. The small size of MEMS sensors provides a quicker response to rapid change in the measured parameter, and because of the extremely low-cost, the use has been extensive. One of the most well-known MEMS devices for automotive applications are inertial sensors and pressure sensors.
Key Market Trends
Air Bag Deployment Sensors to Witness Highest Growth
- Passive safety applications, like the airbag deployment, make use of MEMS sensors for communicating vehicle deceleration inputs to the electronic control unit (ECU) that controls the airbags.
- Crash sensing for airbag control is a compelling factor for the demand of inertial MEMS sensors. Companies, like ST Electronics, Bosch, and Analog Devices, among others, have been instrumental in developing MEMS-based accelerometer sensors and inertial sensors specified for a temperature range extending from -40°C to +125°C, which are suitable for enabling passive safety during a crash.
- Innovations in the MEMS sensors for airbag applications are toward increasing the processing speed of the sensors and sensors that can detect forces up to 120g or 480g. For instance, Bosch, in November 2018, launched a new generation of high-g acceleration sensors, SMA7xy sensor family, which are designed to enable faster signal processing, as compared to the sensors of the past generation (SMA6xy released in 2014). With higher bandwidth, these sensors detect impact and facilitate more rapid deployment of the vehicle's passive safety systems.
- The government at the US and Europe have mandated to have airbag functions for every vehicle even non-luxury variants. Also, India among the growing number of regions to join the US and Europe, etc., to make airbags mandatory for new vehicles which will drive the demand of MEMS sensors for the industry.
Asia-Pacific to Exhibit the Fastest Growth Rate
- Asia-Pacific is expected to exhibit the highest growth rate in the automotive MEMS sensors market, owing to the rapidly growing automotive industry in economies, such as China and Japan.
- The standardization of autonomous driving and advanced driver assistance systems (ADAS) is accelerating in China. Recently, the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology of the Chinese government issued the key working points of Intelligent Connected Vehicle Standardization for 2018 to promote and facilitate the development of the intelligent connected vehicles industry. The guideline has stated out that more than 30 key standards are expected to be defined by 2020 to found the systems for ADAS and low-level autonomous driving, and a system of over 100 standards will be set up by 2025 for higher level autonomous driving.
- Japan has been in the top three of the countries with most cars manufactured since the year 1960s. The country is home to some of the major automotive players, such as Toyota and Honda. These companies have an extensive presence in the country along with their service centers.
- For instance, Suzuki Connect is an advanced integrated safety and connected car solution, designed to provide customers with improved safety, security and a user-friendly connected car experience, including vehicle tracking, emergency assistance, vehicle live location/movement status, service due reminders and driving behavior analysis. All these factors will drive the MEMS sensor market in the region.
The major companies include Robert Bosch GmbH, Sensata Technologies, Analog Devices, Infineon Technologies, Epson Toyocom, Panasonic Corporation, Murata, Delphi, GE Sensing and among others.
- January 2019 - NXP teamed up with the Kalray SA on self-driving car chips to craft computers for self-driving cars which will be enabled with advanced sensors, chips, and other components.
- December 2018 - STMicroelectronics’ has done the advancement in image sensors enhance driver monitoring in next-generation automotive safety systems.
- November 2018 - Analog Devices Inc. launched a broad range of new Industry 4.0 solutions, enabled with MEMS sensor within its advanced Industry 4.0 roadmap that aimed at helping the industrial equipment accelerate their path to Industry 4.0. These new solutions deliver next-generation flexibility, connectivity, and efficiency for today’s existing factory infrastructure.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
This publisher does offer titles that are created upon receipt of order. If you are purchasing a PDF Email Delivery option above, the report will take approximately 2 business days to prepare and deliver.
- 1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
- 2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- 3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Passenger Safety and Security Regulations, and Increased Focus on Compliance
- 4.3.2 Increased Automation Features and Performance Improvements Preferred by Customers
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 Increase in Overall Cost of MEMS Sensors Implementation due to Interface Design Considerations
- 4.5 Industry Value Chain Analysis
- 4.6 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.6.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.6.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.6.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.6.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.6.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Type
- 5.1.1 Tire Pressure Sensors
- 5.1.2 Engine Oil Sensors
- 5.1.3 Combustion Sensors
- 5.1.4 Fuel Injection and Fuel Pump Sensors
- 5.1.5 Air Bag Deployment Sensors
- 5.1.6 Gyroscopes
- 5.1.7 Fuel Rail Pressure Sensors
- 5.1.8 Other Types
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 North America
- 18.104.22.168 United States
- 22.214.171.124 Canada
- 5.2.2 Europe
- 126.96.36.199 Germany
- 188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
- 184.108.40.206 France
- 220.127.116.11 Russia
- 18.104.22.168 Rest of Europe
- 5.2.3 Asia-Pacific
- 22.214.171.124 China
- 126.96.36.199 Japan
- 188.8.131.52 India
- 184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
- 5.2.4 Rest of the World
- 6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Analog Devices, Inc.
- 6.1.2 Delphi Automotive PLC
- 6.1.3 General Electric Co.
- 6.1.4 Freescale Semiconductors Ltd
- 6.1.5 Infineon Technologies AG
- 6.1.6 Stmicroelectronics N.V.
- 6.1.7 Sensata Technologies Inc.
- 6.1.8 Panasonic Corporation
- 7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
- 8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS