The US Cardiovascular Needle Market (Type, Application, Usage, & End User): Insights and Forecast with Potential Impact of COVID-19 (2022-2026)
A surgical suture, often known as a stitch or stitches, is a medical device used to keep tissues and wound edges together after an injury or surgery. Suturing is a wound closure technique used to treat cutaneous wounds. Sutures are used to seal skin discreetly, reinforce wounds till they heal, reduce the risk of bleeding, and improve the appearance of scars. Spatula needles, taper point needles, coronary tip needles, triangular needles, and taper cutting needles are some of the several types of suture needles. Suture needles are selected based on the type of tissue to be sutured. Taper point needles are preferred for soft tissues, whereas cutting or taper cut needles are used for hard tissues.
A range of cardiovascular therapies, including open-heart surgery, cardiac valve surgeries, heart transplant, coronary artery bypass graft surgery, and many more, necessitate the use of surgical needles. Cardiovascular needles are classified into two types: single-use or eyeless needles and multiple-use or eyed needles. Surgalloy and Ethalloy, two novel stainless-steel alloys with high nickel contents, are employed in the manufacturing of cardiovascular needles. The US cardiovascular needle market is foreseen to reach US$36.71 million in 2023, growing at a CAGR of 7.55% during the forecasted period.
- By Type: In terms of type, the report provides the market bifurcation into two different categories: round bodied needles and cutting needles. The round bodied needle segment held the highest share, owing to the easy separation of tissues and leak proof suture.
- By Application: The report splits the US cardiovascular needle market into two segments based on the application: open heart surgery and cardiac valve procedures. Open heart surgery segment is the fastest growing segment during the forecasted period, due to the surge in congenital abnormalities and vascular malfunction in the senior population.
- By Usage: On the basis of usage, the market is segmented into two major segments: single use and multiple use. Due to the increased awareness of infectious diseases and time efficiency as there is no need to re thread, the single use segment is the fastest growing segment during the forecasted year.
- By End User: The report includes the bifurcation of market into three segments, according to the end user: Hospitals and Clinics, Cardiac Centers and Ambulatory Surgical Centers. Hospitals and clinics segment dominated the market by occupying largest share. Hospitals are being upgraded with modernized equipment, digital pathology, and artificial intelligence as a result of advancements in healthcare facilities. Hospitals collaborate with a variety of doctors, specialists, and other healthcare professionals to provide better care.
Top Impacting Factors:
- Rising Prevalence of Cardiovascular Diseases
- Increasing Old Age Population
- Increased Prevalence of Diabetes
- Advancement In Surgeries
- Growing Use of Surgical Staples
- High Costs Involved
- Use of AI in Healthcare
- New Product Launches
- Growing Adoption of Telehealth
- Driver: Rising Prevalence of Cardiovascular Diseases
Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) are expected to remain the leading cause of morbidity and mortality for the foreseeable future. A major cause of heart attack and stroke is fat buildup around blood vessels, which restricts blood from flowing to the heart or brain. Strokes can also be caused by bleeding arteries or blood clots in the brain. These disorders necessitate specialized operations, and cardiovascular needles are utilized to suture the wounds. As a result, the increased prevalence of CVDs have always required the use of cardiovascular devices for diagnosis and treatment, which has propelled the cardiovascular needle market growth in the past few years.
- Challenge: Growing Use of Surgical Staples
Cardiac injuries necessitate immediate treatment to avoid death. Serious heart damage, on the other hand, can occasionally have modest or oblique symptoms or indicators. Robotic cardiac surgery has grown in popularity and utilization, with many adults and children undergoing successful procedures using robotic assistance. The use of robots in cardiovascular surgeries has decreased the demand for needles as robotic procedures require stapling of the wounds. Surgeons using emergency cardiac suturing procedures run the danger of a contaminated needle stick. Heart stapling is now commonly used to stop bleeding caused by penetrating damage, especially when many cardiac lacerations are present. As a result, the growing demand for surgical staples has stifled the market for cardiovascular needles.
- Trend: Use of AI in Healthcare
Artificial intelligence (AI) is being used in cardiovascular medicine to improve prognosis and outcome. It can be used to determine the disease's history and prescribe the appropriate therapy drug. Artificial intelligence (AI) was recently introduced into surgery, with a strong foundation in imaging and navigation, with early techniques focusing on feature identification for both pre-operative planning and intra-operative guidance. With technology breakthroughs in imaging and navigation, AI can improve the treatment of cardiovascular surgery. The increased demand and efficacy of cardiovascular surgeries through the integration of AI in healthcare is expected to drive the cardiovascular needle market growth in the coming years.
The COVID-19 Analysis:
The COVID-19 pandemic short-term detrimental impact on the cardiovascular needle market in the US. Because the pandemic has put a strain on healthcare systems across the world, prioritizing scarce resources was critical to reducing hospital admissions. Cardiac patients not only necessitate ICU resources, but they are also at the highest risk of COVID-19 problems. According to the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery Database and Johns Hopkins COVID-19 database, there was a 52.7% reduction in adult cardiac surgery volume and a 65.5% reduction in elective cases in the US.
Consumers are becoming more cognizant of non-reusable products. The increased awareness of infectious and transmissible diseases is expected to drive the growth of single use cardiovascular needle segment during the post COVID period.
Analysis of Key Players:
The US cardiovascular needle market is fragmented. Manufacturers are focusing on using high-quality surgical-grade stainless steel and alloy combinations to create new products that lessen tissue stress. The key players of the market offers a variety of needles with different patterns, shape, size and length. Collaborations and partnerships, innovative product releases, and expansions of manufacturing and distribution units are some of the primary strategies used by companies in the US cardiovascular needle market. The key players of the US cardiovascular needle market are:
- Becton, Dickinson and Company (BD),
- Johnson & Johnson Inc.
- Medtronic Plc
- KLS Martin Group
- CP Medical
- Teleflex Incorporated
- Rumex International Corporation
- Sklar Surgical Instruments
- FSSB surgical needles GmbH
- Meril Life Science
The key players of the market are also profiled with their operating segments, products offerings, and respective business strategies.