Semiconductors In The Age of AI - Global Thematic Research
After transitioning from mainframes to PCs to servers to Cloud-based data centers, computing is about to make another transition: Artificial intelligence (AI) is the next computing wave. As demand for chips from the PC and smartphone industry subsides, demand for high-end processors to power AI-based platforms such as voice interfaces, robots, augmented reality, driverless cars, smart homes and advanced cybersecurity systems are expected to rise.
This new semiconductor industry is led by Microsoft, Google, Apple and Huawei. They increasingly tell their merchant suppliers what chips to make or do it better themselves, building custom, algorithmic chips and creating their own AI supercomputers in the Cloud.
In this report, we looks at the changing direction of the semiconductor sector as it prepares itself for a world set to be dominated by artificial intelligence.
Reasons to buy
- This report is part of our ecosystem of thematic investment research reports, supported by our “thematic engine”.
- About our Thematic Research Ecosystem
- GlobalData has developed a unique thematic methodology for valuing technology, media and telecom companies based on their relative strength in the big investment themes that are impacting their industry. Whilst most investment research is underpinned by backwards looking company valuation models, GlobalData’s thematic methodology identifies which companies are best placed to succeed in a future filled with multiple disruptive threats. To do this, GlobalData tracks the performance of the top 600 technology, media and telecom stocks against the 50 most important themes driving their earnings, generating 30,000 thematic scores. The algorithms in GlobalData’s “thematic engine” help to clearly identify the winners and losers within the TMT sector. Our 600 TMT stocks are categorised into 18 sectors. Each sector scorecard has a thematic screen, a risk screen and a valuation screen. Our thematic research ecosystem has a three-tiered reporting structure: single theme, multi-theme and sector scorecard. This report is a Single Theme report, offering in-depth research into a specific theme. It identifies winners and losers based on technology leadership, market position and other factors.
- Our thematic investment research product, supported by our thematic engine, is aimed at senior (C-Suite) executives in the corporate world as well as institutional investors.
- Corporations: Helps CEOs in all industries understand the disruptive threats to their competitive landscape
- Investors: Helps fund managers focus their time on the most interesting investment opportunities in global TMT.
- Our unique differentiator, compared to all our rival thematic research houses, is that our thematic engine has a proven track record of predicting winners and losers.
- Trends in AI chips
- Wider trends across the chip sector
- How the chip industry could adapt in the era of AI
- AI computing opens up a new growth market for chips
- The two critical components of any successful AI engine
- Component 1: AI chips
- Component 2: Neural nets
- Microsoft is the unexpected game changer
- Industry analysis
- Market size
- Chip markets
- Which players are big in which markets?
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Semiconductor Sector Scorecard
- Who's who in scorecard
- Table Who does what in the semiconductor space?
- Thematic screen
- Table The thematic screen ranks companies on the basis of overall technology leadership in the ten technology cycles that matter most to their industry, generating a leading indicator of future earnings growth.
- Valuation screen
- Table Valuation screen ranks companies within a sector based on selected consensus valuation metrics
- Risk Screen
- Table The risk screen ranks companies within a particular industry on the basis of overall investment risk.
- Companies section
- Appendix: Our "Thematic" research methodology
- Table Five-step approach for generating a sector scorecard