Country Profile: Hot Drinks Sector in Hong Kong
Hong Kong Hot Drinks Sector accounted for a volume share of about 0.2% of the global market and about 0.6% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market in 2016. The sector was valued at around US$750 million in 2016 and is forecast to grow at a CAGR of about 4% during 2016-2021. Growth in the sector is driven by increased demand of tea, particularly the traditional milk tea in the country, and the rising popularity of coffee among the younger population. Per capita consumption of Hot Drinks stood at just over 3.1kg, which is lower when compared to the global and Asia-Pacific levels.
Hot Tea was the largest category with value sales of almost US$630 million in 2016. The market is also expected to grow at a fastest CAGR of close to 4% during the forecast period (2016-2021), while Hot Coffee and Other Hot Drinks are expected to record CAGRs of about 3.5% and 1.5%, respectively
On-trade transactions account for a leading share in the distribution of Hot Drinks in Hong Kong. It accounted for just over 40% share in 2016, followed by Hypermarket & Supermarkets with bit more than 30% share. Convenience Stores held about 17% value share in the same year. Paper & Board is the most commonly used packaging material in the Hong Kong Hot Drinks sector. In 2016, it accounted for a share of almost 70%, followed by Flexible Packaging with a share of about 25%.
Lipton is the leading brand in the Hong Kong Hot Drinks Sector. It held a value share of just over 18% in 2016, while the top five brands in the sector accounted for a combined share of about 40% in the same year. The consumption of Hot Drinks is high among the male population in Hong Kong. Moreover, consumption is particularly high among those consumers who received Tertiary education. In terms of consumption by age group, Older Consumers accounted for bit more than 35% share in 2016.
The report Country Profile: Hot Drinks Sector in Hong Kong, provides insights on high growth markets to target, trends in the usage of packaging materials, category level distribution channel data and market share of brands.
In particular, this report provides the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Market data: Overall market value and volume data with growth analysis for 2011-2021. The overall market value and volume included in the report is split on the basis of On-trade and Off-trade
- Category coverage: Value and growth analysis for Hot Coffee, Hot Tea and Other Hot drinks with inputs on individual category share within each market and the change in their market share forecast for 2016-2021
- Leading players: Market share of brands and private labels, including private label growth analysis from 2011-2016
- Distribution data: Percentage of sales within each market through distribution channels such as On-trade, Hypermarkets & Supermarkets, Convenience Stores, Food & Drinks Specialists, eRetailers and others
- Packaging data: consumption breakdown for package materials and pack types in each market, in terms of percentage share of number of units sold. Package material data for Glass, Flexible Packaging, Paper & Board, Rigid Plastics, Rigid Metal and others; pack type data for: Carton, Bag/Sachet, Tub, Bottle, Jar and Stand Up Pouch
Boncafe International Pte Ltd,Luigi Lavazza,Massimo Zanetti Beverage Group,Melitta Group,Cafedirect,DE MASTER BLENDERS 1753 NV,FreshFood Services Pty Ltd,Jacobs Douwe Egberts,KAMPERY DEVELOPMENT LIMITED,Kraft Foods,Mondelez International, Inc,Nestle,PT Kapal Api Global,PT Mayora Indah,Sara Lee Corporation,Sari Incofood Corporation,UCC Ueshima Coffee Co Ltd,Zino Davidoff SA,Tsit Wing International,Associated British Foods Plc,Bettys & Taylors Group Ltd,Clipper Teas,Guangzhou ,Wanglaoji Pharmaceutical Co Ltd,Imperial Tea Garden,King Car,Metro Alliance Limited,OLDTOWN Berhad,Unilever,,Cadbury Plc,ConAgra Foods, Inc.,GlaxoSmithKlineScope
Reasons to buy
- The Hong Kong Hot Drinks Sector accounted for a volume share of 0.58% of the regional (Asia-Pacific) market in 2016.
- Per capita consumption was lower in the country when compared to both global and regional levels.
- Of the three markets, Hot Tea was the largest in value terms and is also expected to be the fastest growing market, during 2016-2021.
- On-trade transactions account for a leading share in the distribution of Hot Drinks in Hong Kong.
- Top five brands in the sector accounted for a combined share of 39.4% in 2016.
- Paper & Board is the most commonly used package material in the Hong Kong Hot Drinks sector.
- Identify high potential categories and explore further market opportunities based on detailed value and volume analysis
- Existing and new players can analyze key distribution channels to identify and evaluate trends and opportunities
- Gain an understanding of the total competitive landscape based on detailed brand share analysis to plan effective market positioning
- Access the key and most influential consumer trends driving Hot Drinks products consumption, and how they influence consumer behavior in the market which will help determine the best audiences to target
- Our team of analysts have placed a significant emphasis on changes expected in the sector that will provide a clear picture of the opportunities that can be tapped over the next five years, resulting in revenue expansion
- The packaging analysis report helps manufacturers, in identifying the most commonly used packaging materials in the sector
- Analysis on key macro-economic indicators such as GDP per capita, population (overall and breakdown by age), and consumer price index. It also covers a comparative analysis of political, economic, socio-demographic, and technological indicators (PEST) across 50 countries.