Innovations in Smart Sensors
A smart sensor comprises a sensing element, an analog to digital converter (ADC), analog interface circuit and bus interface in a single housing. The smart sensors are built with one or numerous smart functionalities such as self-identification, self-testing, self-validation, and self-adaptation. Smart sensors are applicable for sensing temperature, pressure, humidity, image signals, vibration, and other key parameters depending on the nature of application. Smart sensors are attractive due to their ability to provide real-time measurements of complex phenomena and they make decisions on their own leading to diagnosis and corrective measures.
Smart sensors have a very wide range of applications in sectors such as consumer electronics, automotive, aerospace and defence, industrial, healthcare, structural health monitoring and home and building automation.
Key industries impacted:
• Building Automation: Lighting and access control, monitoring HVAC systems, tracking machine health status, climate control systems, power monitoring, data centre monitoring, and fire safety
• Industrial Control: Asset management, process control and monitoring, environmental care, energy management, and equipment health monitoring/condition-based monitoring
• Military and Defence: Border protection, perimeter protection, battlefield information and real-time situational awareness
• Consumer Electronics: Smart television, smartphones, tablets, laptops, personal computers and peripherals
• Healthcare: Managing patients’ chronic conditions, smart medical device automation, and early prediction of health problems
• Structural Health Monitoring: Aerospace structures, composites, geo-technique, mining/oil/gas exploration and production, civil engineering structures, and monuments of cultural heritage
• Automotive: Parking/reverse assist, night vision, lane departure warning, intelligent adaptive cruise control, and driver fatigue monitoring
Key questions answered in the technology and innovation report.
1. What is the technology and market dynamics of smart sensors?
2. What are the key enabling technologies?
3. What are the factors that influence development and adoption?
4. Who are the key innovators driving developments?
5. What are the opportunities based on patent and funding trends?
6. What is the smart sensor adoption by region (North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific)?
7. What are the applications enabled by smart sensors?
8. What is the impact of applications enabled by smart sensors?
9. What are some of the key interesting developments?
10. Where do we see growth opportunities in smart sensor technology?
11. What is the nature of competition?
12. What is the impact of megatrends?
13. What sort of strategies companies need to embrace to remain competitive?
14. What are key questions for strategy planning?
- Executive Summary
- Research Scope
- Key Questions Answered in the Technology and Innovation Report
- Research Methodology
- Research Methodology Explained
- Key Research Findings
- Wide-scale Industry Adoption of Smart Sensor Technology
- Technology and Market Status Review
- Traditional Sensor Technology Challenges – Physical Attacks, Compatibility, Fault Tolerance, and Power Issues
- Wireless Sensor Networks, Low-power Embedded Computing Technologies Empowering Smart Sensors
- Smart Decision Making and Automatic Self-calibration Fosters Smart Sensors' Adoption Rate
- Smart Sensors – A All-in-One Sensor Package Solution
- Why are Smart Sensors are Preferred in the Market?
- Nanotechnology, Flexible Electronics, and Wireless Sensor Networks are Key Enabling Technologies Driving Growth of Smart Sensors
- Factors Influencing Development and Adoption
- Increased Demand for Miniaturized, Smart Functional Devices and Advent of IoT Key Driving Factors for Smart Sensors
- Demand for IoT-based Smart Sensors Expected to Increase in the Future
- Factors like Miniaturization and Increasing Application Potential are Highly Expected to Influence Increased Adoption of Smart Sensors
- High Development Cost, Design Constraints, Regulatory Hurdles, and Lack of Processing Know-how Restrict Wider Adoption
- Lack of Know-how Processing and Space Constraints for Specific Applications are Key Challenges Hindering Adoption of Smart Sensors
- High Development Cost, Strict Regulations, and Design Constraints are Key Challenges for Market Growth
- Global Landscape, Innovation Ecosystem, and Key Industry Initiatives
- Global Technology Impact Landscape
- Innovation Ecosystem
- Key Innovators and Initiatives – ABB, Analog Devices, and Eaton
- Key Innovators and Initiatives – NXP, STMicro, Samsung Electronics
- Opportunity Analysis With Patent and Funding Scenario
- Interest towards Smaller, Lower Power Smart Sensing Devices with Enhanced Communication Capability
- Patents Strength is Expected to be High as Top Companies Continue to Strengthen their Intellectual Property Portfolios
- Gap Analysis with Funding Trends
- Opportunities in Industrial and Healthcare Sectors with High VC Funding
- Breadth of Applications and Impact Assessment
- Smart Sensors for Healthcare
- Application of Smart Sensors in the Healthcare Sector
- Wearables will have High Impact on the Healthcare Sector
- Smart Sensors for Continuous Glucose Monitoring in the Body
- Smart Sensors for Contactless Biometric Health Monitoring
- Smart Sensors for Building Automation
- Cloud-based IoT Smart Sensor for Building Automation
- Novel Technology for Detecting Human Presence
- Smart Sensors for Monitoring Building Interiors
- Multi-sensing Platform for Building Automation
- Smart IoT-based Sensor Solution for Building Automation
- Smart Sensors in Structural Health Monitoring
- Key Innovation Profiles in Smart Sensors – Structural Health Monitoring
- Smart Sensors for Automotive Applications
- Key Innovation Profiles in Smart Sensors – Automotive
- Smart Sensor for Consumer Electronics
- Key Innovation Profiles in Smart Sensors – Consumer Electronics
- Strategic Insights and Recommendations
- Degree of Competition – Assessment using Porter's Five Forces
- Real-time Health Monitoring and IoT Bolstering Smart Sensor Developments
- Growth Opportunity Scenario - Smart Sensors Enhancing Future of Connected Living
- Growth Opportunities – Smart, Safe, and "Always" Connected Living
- Key Questions for Strategy Planning
- Key Patents and Contacts
- Key Patents – Networked Environmental Sensor and Multi- Functional Speed Sensor
- Key Patents – Smart Sensors for Wound Healing Monitoring and Location Tracking Services
- Key Patents – Smart Sensor Network for Power Grid Health Monitoring and Line Alarm System
- Key Patents – Smart Sensor for Auto-Commissioning and Door Locking
- Industry Contacts