PLUNKETT'S BIOTECH & GENETICS INDUSTRY ALMANAC 2021
- Plunkett Research analyzes the major trends and technologies in the global Biotech & Genetics sectors. In addition, Plunkett profiles hundreds of the industry’s top firms.
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 16
Companies Profiled: 392
Geographic Focus: Global
A complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms. You will gain vital insights that can help you shape your own strategy for business development, product development and investments.
Contents, Statistics, Forecasts and Analysis Include:
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
Major Trends Affecting the Biotech, Pharmaceuticals & Genetics Industry
1. The State of the Biotechnology Industry Today
2. The Coronavirus’ Effect on the Biotech, Pharmaceuticals & Genetics Industry
3. A Short History of Biotechnology
4. Fast Track Drugs Come to Market in the U.S. with FDA Cooperation
5. Ethanol Production Soared, But U.S. Federal Subsidy Expires
6. Cellulosic Ethanol Makes Slow Commercial Progress
7. Major Drug Companies Acquire or Partner With Smaller Biotech Firms
8. Pharmaceutical R&D Improves with Artificial Intelligence (AI)
9. From Korea to India to Singapore to China, Nations Compete Fiercely in Biotech Development
10. Patients’ Genetic Profiles Plummet in Price as DNA Sequencing Technologies Advance
11. Gene Therapies Target Defective Genes/CRISPR Advances DNA Editing
12. Vaccines and Viruses in Drug Delivery
13. New Blockbuster Drugs Come to Market/ Drug Prices Soar
14. Generic Drugs Have Biggest Market Share by Unit Volume, but not by Total Revenues
15. Coupons and Other Marketing Schemes Obscure the Retail Prices of Drugs in the U.S., Which Are Vastly Higher than Prices Paid in Other Nations
16. Biotech and Orphan Drugs Create New Revenues for Drug Firms
17. Biosimilars (Generic Biotech Drugs) Receive FDA Guidelines for Accelerated Approval/Competition Will Be Fierce
18. Market for CBD Is on the Rise
19. Stem Cells—Multiple Sources Stem from New Technologies
20. Stem Cells—Therapeutic Cloning Techniques Advance
21. Stem Cells and 3-D Printing—A New Era of Tissue Replacement Takes Shape
22. Genetically Modified (GM) Seeds and Crops Planted in Dozens of Nations/Agribio R&D Investment Is High
23. Genetically Modified (GM) Foods Prompt Controversy, Labeling and Legislation
24. Cloning of Farm Animals/Meat and Cheese Substitutes Created in Laboratories/3-D Printed Food Appears
25. Selective Plant Breeding, Mutagenesis and Gene-Editing, Including CRISPR, as Alternatives to GM Seeds
26. Immunotherapy and CAR-T Create Exciting New Approach to Fighting Cancers
27. Technology Discussion—Genes and DNA
28. Technology Discussion—Proteins and Proteomics
29. Technology Discussion—DNA Chips
30. Technology Discussion—SNPs (“Snips”)
31. Technology Discussion—Synthetic Biology
32. Technology Discussion—Recombinant DNA
33. Technology Discussion—Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)Biotech, Pharmaceuticals & Genetics Industry Statistics
1. Biotech Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
2. The U.S. Drug Discovery & Approval Process
3. U.S. FDA New Drug (NDA) and Biologic (BLA) Approvals, 2019
4. U.S. Pharmaceutical R&D Spending Versus the Number of New Molecular Entity (NME) Approvals: 1994-2019
5. Employment in Life & Physical Science Occupations by Business Type, U.S.: May 2019
6. Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for Basic Research, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2019-2021
7. U.S. Exports & Imports of Pharmaceutical Products: 2014-1st Quarter 2020
8. U.S. Prescription Drug Expenditures, Aggregate & Per Capita Amounts, Percent Distribution: 2012-2028
9. Prescription Drug Expenditures, U.S.: Selected Years, 1985-2028
10. Total U.S. Biotechnology Patents Granted per Year by Patent Class: 1977-2015
11. NSF Budget by Appropriation (Dollars in Millions), Fiscal Years 2019-2021
12. Global Area of Biotech Crops by Country: 2018
13. Domestic & Foreign Pharmaceutical Sales, PhRMA Member Companies: 1985-2018
14. Domestic U.S. Biopharmaceutical R&D & R&D Abroad, PhRMA Member Companies: 1985-2018
15. Domestic U.S. Biopharmaceutical R&D & R&D Abroad Breakdown, PhRMA Member Companies: 2018"