PLUNKETT'S BIOTECH & GENETICS INDUSTRY ALMANAC 2017
- Plunkett Research lists top 400 companies in the Biotech & Genetics and names top trends changing the industry for the mid term.
- Genetically-engineered drugs, or “biotech” drugs, represent an estimated 10% of the total global prescription drugs market.
- In 2016, Plunkett Research estimates the total drug purchases in the U.S., to reach $343.2 billion.
- Industry trends analysis, market data and competitive intelligence
- Market forecasts and Industry Statistics
- Industry Associations and Professional Societies List
- In-Depth Profiles of hundreds of leading companies
- Industry Glossary
- Buyer may register for free access to search and export data at Plunkett Research Online
- Link to our 5-minute video overview of this industry
Statistical Tables Provided: 16
Companies Profiled: 392
Geographic Focus: Global
A complete market research report, including forecasts and market estimates, technologies analysis and developments at innovative firms. You will gain vital insights that can help you shape your own strategy for business development, product development and investments.
- How is the industry evolving?
- How is the industry being shaped by new technologies?
- How is demand growing in emerging markets and mature economies?
- What is the size of the market now and in the future?
- What are the financial results of the leading companies?
- What are the names and titles of top executives?
- What are the top companies and what are their revenues?
Contents, Statistics, Forecasts and Analysis Include:
Major Trends Affecting the Biotech & Genetics Industry
1) The State of the Biotechnology Industry Today
2) A Short History of Biotechnology
3) Ethanol Production Soared, But U.S. Federal Subsidy Expires
4) Cellulosic Ethanol Makes Slow Commercial Progress
5) Major Drug Companies Acquire or Partner With Smaller Biotech Firms
6) From Korea to India to Singapore to China, Nations Compete Fiercely in Biotech Development
7) Patients’ Genetic Profiles Plummet in Price as DNA Sequencing Technologies Advance
8) Gene Therapies Target Defective Genes/CRISPR Advances DNA Editing
9) Vaccines and Viruses in Drug Delivery
10) New Blockbuster Drugs Come to Market/ Drug Prices Soar/Generics Offer Some Relief
11) Biotech and Orphan Drugs Create New Revenues for Drug Firms
12) Biosimilars (Generic Biotech Drugs) Receive FDA Guidelines for Accelerated Approval/ Competition Will Be Fierce
13) Stem Cells—Multiple Sources Stem from New Technologies
14) Government Support for Stem Cell Research Evolves
15) Stem Cells—Therapeutic Cloning Techniques Advance
16) Stem Cells—A New Era of Tissue Replacement Takes Shape
17) Nanotechnology Converges with Biotech
18) Genetically Modified (GM) Seeds and Crops Planted in Dozens of Nations/Agribio R&D Investment Is High
19) Genetically Modified (GM) Foods Prompt Controversy, Labeling and Legislation
20) Biopharming, Development of Transgenic, Plant-Based Pharmaceuticals
21) Cloning of Farm Animals/Meat and Cheese Substitutes Created in Laboratories/Eggless and Vegan Food Substitutes Gain Market Share
22) Selective Breeding, Zinc Fingers and Mutagenesis as Alternatives to GMOs
23) Immunotherapy Promises New Approach to Fighting Cancers
24) Technology Discussion—Genes and DNA
25) Technology Discussion—Proteins and Proteomics
26) Technology Discussion—Microarrays
27) Technology Discussion—DNA Chips
28) Technology Discussion—SNPs (“Snips”)
29) Technology Discussion—Combinatorial Chemistry
30) Technology Discussion—Synthetic Biology
31) Technology Discussion—Recombinant DNA
32) Technology Discussion—Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR)
Biotech & Genetics Industry Statistics
1) Biotech Industry Statistics and Market Size Overview
2) The U.S. Drug Discovery & Approval Process
3) U.S. FDA New Drug (NDA) and Biologic (BLA) Approvals, 2015
4) U.S. Pharmaceutical R&D Spending Versus the Number of New Molecular Entity (NME) Approvals: 1993-2015
5) Employment in Life & Physical Science Occupations by Business Type, U.S.: May 2015
6) Federal R&D & R&D Plant Funding for General Science & Basic Research, U.S.: Fiscal Years 2014-2016
7) U.S. Exports & Imports of Pharmaceutical Products: 2010-1st Quarter 2016
8) U.S. Prescription Drug Expenditures, Aggregate & Per Capita Amounts, Percent Distribution: 2008-2024
9) Prescription Drug Expenditures, U.S.: Selected Years, 1960-2024
10) Total U.S. Biotechnology Patents Granted per Year by Patent Class: 1977-2015
11) Research Funding for Biological Sciences, U.S. National Science Foundation: Fiscal Years2015-2017
12) Global Area of Biotech Crops by Country: 2015
13) Domestic & Foreign Pharmaceutical Sales, PhRMA Member Companies: 1980-2015
14) Sales By Geographic Area, PhRMA Member Companies: 2014
15) Domestic U.S. Biopharmaceutical R&D & R&D Abroad, PhRMA Member Companies: 1980-2015
16) Domestic U.S. Biopharmaceutical R&D & R&D Abroad Breakdown, PhRMA Member Companies: 2014