Greece - Telecoms Infrastructure, Operators, Regulations - Statistics and Analyses
Greece's telecoms market has suffered from tough economic conditions in recent years, leading to lower sector revenue and investment. Operators across the board have seen gross profits tumble year after year, and the continuing economic turmoil will make market conditions particularly difficult during the next few years. The dominant player remains the incumbent telco OTE, which has experienced significant challenges but is supported by the organisational ability and financial clout of its parent Deutsche Telekom, which now owns a 45% stake in the company.
The telecom regulator EETT has shown increasing success in promoting competition, with local loop unbundling well utilised to deliver competing fixed-line services. Promoting competition has become one of the EC's conditions for Greece's financial bailouts.
This report introduces the key aspects of the Greek fixed-line telecoms, wholesale and IT market, outlining the regulatory environment, assessing the major players and providing relevant operational data and financial statistics on both the operators and the market.
Vodafone Greece completes its acquisition of Cyta Hellas;
OTE extends Smart City projects to Halkida and Patras;
Regulator fines OTE for LLU infringements;
Three telcos planning to invest 250 million to meet EU broadband targets;
Government sells 5% stake in OTE to Deutsche Telekom;
Forthnet rebrands all services as Nova;
Deregulation of the retail market for fixed-line calls;
Vestitel builds second fibre-optic link between Greece and Bulgaria;
Report update includes the regulator's market review and 2017 annual report, telcos' operating and financial data to Q3 2018, recent market developments.
Companies mentioned in this report:
OTE (Cosmote), Forthnet (Nova), Wind Hellas, On Telecoms, Tellas.
- 1. Synopsis
- 2. Key statistics
- 3. Country overview
- 4. Telecommunications market
- 5. Regulatory environment5.1 Background5.2 Regulatory authority5.3 Telecom sector liberalisation
- 5.3.1 Privatisation5.3.2 Interconnection5.3.3 Access5.3.4 Number Portability (NP)5.3.5 Carrier selection and carrier preselection5.3.6 Universal Service Obligation (USO)
- 6. Fixed network operators in Greece6.1 Overview of operators6.2 OTE (Hellenic Telecommunications Organization, OTE)6.3 Wind Hellas6.4 Forthnet (Nova)6.5 Vodafone Greece6.6 Cyta Hellas
- 7. Telecommunications infrastructure 7.1 National telecom network
- 7.1.1 OTE7.1.2 NGN7.1.3 Alternative operators7.1.4 Satellite networks7.1.5 Submarine cables
- 7.2 Smart infrastructure
- 8. Related reportsTable 1 Top Level Country Statistics and Telco Authorities Greece 2018 (e)Table 2 Retail revenue from fixed-telephony and internet services 2005 - 2016Table 3 Retail revenue from fixed-telephony services 2014 - 2016Table 4 Telecom revenue by provider 2004 - 2016Table 5 Telecom sector investments 2004 - 2016Table 6 Licensed telcos' financial performance (regulator data) 2000 2016Table 7 Fixed-line interconnection rates by operator 2011 - 2015Table 8 Fixed-line interconnection traffic by operator 2010 - 2016Table 9 LLU and shared access lines 2007 - 2016Table 10 Cosmote LLU lines 2006 - 2017Table 11 Annual fixed number portings 2004 - 2016Table 12 CPS lines 2004 - 2013Table 13 WLR lines 2009 - 2013Table 14 OTE share of fixed-line call traffic 2005 - 2016Table 15 Fixed-line traffic 2004 - 2016Table 16 OTE Group financial data 2006 - 2018Table 17 Cosmote subscriber data 2009 - 2018Table 18 Cosmote company financial data by sector 2013 - 2018Table 19 Forthnet Group financial data 2007 - 2018Table 20 Forthnet Company financial data 2009 - 2018Table 21 Fixed lines in service 2000 - 2016Table 22 OTE and altnet fixed lines in service 2005 - 2016Table 23 OTE and altnet share of fixed lines 2013 - 2017Table 24 Fixed-lines and teledensity 2005 - 2018Table 25 OTE PSTN lines in service 2005 - 2017Table 26 OTE market share of fixed-lines in service 2005 - 2017Table 27 Next Generation Network household access penetration 2011 - 2016Chart 1 Telecom revenue by provider 2004 2016Chart 2 Licensed telcos' financial performance (regulator data) 2000 2016Chart 3 Forthnet Group financial data 2007 2018Chart 4 Fixed-lines and teledensity 2005 2018