Tin Market - Segmented by Product Type, Application, End-user Industry and Geography - Growth, Trends and Forecast (2018 - 2023)
The global tin market valued at 350.74 kilo metric ton in 2017, is expected to witness a CAGR of 2.22% during the forecast period, 2018 to 2023. In 2018, in terms of volume, Asia-Pacific is poised to dominate the global market, and is expected to witness the highest CAGR during the forecast period. The continuously growing demand from China in various end-user industries, primarily electronics, is boosting the demand for tin in the Asia-Pacific region at a healthy pace.
Increasing Demand from Electronics Industry
The major end-user application of tin in the electronics industry is as a solder. Tin is often used in various purities and alloys, generally with lead and indium. Soldering is one of the potential end-user applications in the electronics industry. About 50% to 70% of the overall tin produced is used in the electronics & electrical industry in various products, such as mobiles, tablets, computers, and other consumer electronic devices. Additionally, according to JEITA, semiconductor manufacturing was estimated to have registered the fastest growth of 21% in 2016, while in 2018, it is forecasted to rise by 7%. Such positive growth in the electronics manufacturing industry is expected to drive the market for tin through the forecast period.
Tin Plating to be the Fastest-growing Application
Tin plating is an electrolytic process. It is done primarily for the purpose of providing a level of protection or corrosion resistance to a wide range of products. Tin is generally applied over a preliminary coating of copper. Due to its characteristics, such as lightweight, white metal, durable, malleable, good tensile strength, resistance to corrosion, non-toxic, high solderability, ductile, etc., tin is used as plating in metals and alloys, by either dipping or electroplating. China is one of the largest consumers and producers of tin and tin plating. Therefore, it will augment the usage of tin in the application of tin plating.
China to be the Dominating Market
China was the largest producer and consumer of tin in 2017. The automotive industry, being one of the major contributors in the tin market, has grown rapidly in the past five years. However, the Chinese automotive industry remains fragmented. This scenario is likely to have a positive impact on the tin demand from the Chinese automotive sector. In addition, Chinese central government officials fear the unchecked expansion of China's auto industry, encouraged by local authorities, could harm the wider economy and that excess capacity must be stopped. Hence, the central government continues to push for mergers and acquisitions (M&A) in the automotive industry, which will support the emergence of a few leading national companies. The other major end-user industries for tin include electrical & electronics, heavy engineering, packaging, etc. China’s information & communication technology (ICT) sector has grown at a rapid pace in the past decade, owing to the support of the Chinese government and favorable digitization plans and policies.
Key Developments in the Market
- December 2017- PT Timah Tbk and Topwide Ventures Ltd, Nigeria, signed a joint venture for performing exploration, mining, processing and purification, transportation, and sales & marketing of tin and derivative minerals located in Nigeria.
- October 2016- Malaysia Smelting Corporation Berhad company acquired M Smelt (C) Sdn Bhd
Major Players -Yunnan Tin Co. Ltd, PT Timah, Malaysia Smelting Corporation, Yunnan Chengfeng Non-ferrous Metals Co. Ltd, and Minsur SA, among others
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- Current and future of tin market in the developed and emerging markets
- Analyzing various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis
- The segment that is expected to dominate the market
- Regions that are expected to witness fastest growth during the forecast period
- Identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by the major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate sheet (in Excel)
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you to get a report that suits your needs.
Learn how to effectively navigate the market research process to help guide your organization on the journey to success.Download eBook