Telecom Towers Market Share - Segmented by Fuel Type (Renewable, Non-renewable), Type of Tower (Lattice Tower, Guyed Tower), Installation (Rooftop, Ground-based), Ownership and Region - Growth, Trends and Forecast (2018 - 2023)
The global telecom towers market is expected to register a CAGR of 15.53% during the forecast period.
The telecom tower industry has gained high prominence as an independent industry, mainly in India and the United States. In other parts of the world, tower sharing has been initiated or already in practice, and yet major share of the telecom towers are managed by the telcos. Tower sharing is one of the major growth drivers for the telecom industry, as it significant benefits, such as cost reduction and faster data rollout. Growth in cloud-based services for mobile users and roll-out of 4G LTE services around the world have increased the network investment by carriers, which is driving the demand for the telecom towers market.
Growing Connecting/Improving Connectivity to Rural Areas
The annual data usage through wireless networks has been increasing rapidly, promoting smartphone penetration considerably. The adoption of broadband services can improve the economy in rural areas by increasing income, creating jobs, and by lowering unemployment rates. Over the last five years, there has been a drastic increase in the number of mobile phones that led to a steady rise in data traffic, gradually. According to the Cisco Virtual Networking Index, global mobile data grew by 63% in 2016, as compared to 2015. Nearly 425 million mobile devices and cellular connections were added in 2016, while smartphones led the growth of these devices. According to Ericsson, the total number of IoT connected devices is expected to reach beyond 20 billion by 2023.
Accelerating Growth in Operator Owned Ownership Type
The operator owned type of ownership has been experiencing an accelerating growth. The advent of operator-owned companies that provides telecom towers, such as Bharti Infratel (India), with other MNOs as their clients, has provided a boost to the operator-owned telecom tower segment. It has been observed that the business model for such tower companies relies on value creation more equitably with MNOs. For instance, the world’s largest operator-led tower company, China Tower Corporation (with an extensive network of about 1.7 million towers) provides higher discounts when additional tenants are added. Such advantages are expected to drive the operator-owned tower segment.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Growth of the Telecom Towers Market
Asia-Pacific accounts for the highest volume of towers in the market, accounting for around 71.92% of the total towers in 2017. High penetration of smart devices is leading to high consumption of data in developing countries, such as China and India, which is driving the growth of the market in the region. Asia-Pacific accounts for more than 50% of the total internet users across the globe. Asia-Pacific had around 3.05 million towers in 2016 and is expected to increase over the forecast period, with companies like Edotco and OCK Group planning for further expansion. The path-breaking initiatives by the governments in the region has boosted the growth of the market. For instance, the Indian Government has started a policy to install towers on government lands and buildings to help improve call drops and coverage related issues. this development is expected to lead the industry towards creating robust telecom infrastructure in India.
Major Players - American Tower Corporation, Helios Towers Africa, Bharti Infratel, China Tower Corporation, SBA Communications, AT&T Towers, Crown Castle International Corporation, T-Mobile Towers and GTL Infra among others
Key Developments in the Market
- Nov 2017- American Tower Corporation entered into definitive agreements with Vodafone India Limited and Idea Cellular Limited through which it is expected to add an aggregate of approximately 20,000 communications sites to its existing Indian portfolio.
- Nov 2017- AT&T Towers, Verizon, and Tillman Infrastructure collaborated to build hundreds of cell towers, with the potential for new site locations in the future. They are expected to serve as opportunities for the carriers to relocate equipment from current towers.
- Nov 2017- AT&T Towers and Shell signed an agreement for the provision of managed communications and network integration services for Shell, globally. The company is expected to provide strategic services - network management and integration, global voice and data services, security, video, and collaboration, which are estimated to drive cost efficiencies while enabling a more agile, future-ready IT landscape
- Nov 2017- Crown Castle International Corporation acquired LTS Group Holdings LLC that owns or has rights to approximately 32,000 route miles of fibre, located primarily in top metro markets in the Northeast, including Boston, New York, and Philadelphia. With the addition of Lightower, the company owns or has rights to over 60,000 route miles of fibre.
- Nov 2017- T-Mobile announced plans to launched License Assisted Access (LAA) on small cells to add capacity and speed, and further increase the density of its network.
- Aug 2017- Helios Towers Africa entered into an agreement with Zanzibar Telecom PLC for the acquisition of unique sites of their mainland tower portfolio.
- Jun 2017- AT&T Towers and China Telecom signed a framework agreement to develop advanced network services for multinational companies doing business in China.
Reasons to Purchase the Report
- To know how the telecom towers market is expected to change the dynamics.
- To analyze various perspectives of the market with the help of Porter’s five forces analysis.
- To know as to which Installation segment is expected to dominate the market.
- To know about the regions that are expected to witness the fastest growth during the forecast period.
- To identify the latest developments, market shares, and strategies employed by major market players
- 3 months analyst support, along with the Market Estimate Sheet (in Excel).
Customization of the Report
- This report can be customized to meet your requirements. Please connect with our analyst, who will ensure you get a report that suits your needs.