Big Data: A road map for business intelligence
Big Data has been hailed as a ground-breaking technological development that will revolutionize how businesses operate. Major corporations have therefore been quick to exploit the opportunities available. Understanding how companies have used Big Data and where Big Data might be used next is therefore vital to keeping pace with the strategic advantages being gained in the modern world.
Features and benefits
- A detailed explanation of the predominant framework used to undertake Big Data analytics, from a business intelligence perspective.
- An overview of the key players in the industry.
- A detailed analysis of the uses of Big Data in terms of business intelligence, with real-life industry examples.
- Forward looking analysis of the potential uses of Big Data in terms of business intelligence.
- An overview of the limitations of Big Data and the proposal of a new form of holistic intelligence.
The majority of Big Data providers have centered on software developed by the non-profit Apache Software Foundation, particularly through the Hadoop framework. This framework is explained from a business intelligence perspective.
The key players in the industry include: major technology companies such as Google, IBM, Oracle and Microsoft; services companies such as PwC and Accenture; and rapidly rising upstarts such as Splunk and Cloudera. The Big Data offerings of the key players are compared in this report.
A wide range of industries are using Big Data technologies but the dominant operational feature in recent years has been a restriction to internally-focused data, either from information about the company itself and its processes, or through the interaction of customers with that company. Industry examples are provided in relation to this trend.Your key questions answered
- What is Big Data, how does it work and why does it matter?
- Who are the key players in the industry and what do they offer?
- How has Big Data been used in the past and how might it be used in the future?
- THE CORE TECHNOLOGIES AND THE KEY PLAYERS
- The core technologies are open & free but complex to operate
- Open source software has been central to the development of Big Data
- How can a business make sense of Big Data and why does it matter?
- How does Big Data really work?
- Hadoop Common
- The Hadoop Distributed File System (HDFS)
- Hadoop YARN
- Hadoop MapReduce
- The key players include software majors and rising upstarts
- Technology powerhouses are likely to reap the most rewards in the long-term
- The new and the hungry have seen exponential growth but not all can be winners
- EARLY ADOPTERS HAVE BEEN INTROSPECTIVE
- Customer-generated information has provided many new strategic insights
- Customer analytics gives businesses greater predictive power
- Sentiment analysis can be used to tailor public interactions and optimize production processes
- Analysis of the general public can lead to improved cost and time efficiencies
- Company processes and operational information become clearer with Big Data
- Previously impenetrable research and development problems have become solvable
- Industrial usage points to huge cost savings through optimization techniques
- BIG DATA 2.0 – HOLISTIC INTELLIGENCE
- Where do we go from here?
- What happens when everyone is using Big Data?
- Sourcing external data is a logical next step in the short-term
- The future belongs to those who ask the right questions
- Further Reading
- Ask the analyst
- About MarketLine