Health Self-monitoring: Technologies and Global Markets
The global market for selected health self-monitoring technologies reached nearly $16.7 billion in 2016. This market should grow at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 28.3% from $20.7 billion in 2017 to reach $71.9 billion by 2022.
An overview the global markets and technologies for health self-monitoring.
Analyses of global market trends, with data from 2016, estimates for 2017, and projections of CAGRs through 2022.
Existing health self-monitoring technologies, as well as technologies that are under development.
Analysis of major drivers and constraints that will influence the future development of the self-monitoring market.
Projections of the market for major health self-monitoring technology platforms, devices, and software.
Descriptions and evaluations of different vendors’ business models.
Assessments of the potential impact of self-monitoring on the way medicine is practiced.
The present report focuses specifically on technologies that enable the individual to monitor his or her own health. Third-party monitoring technologies thus are specifically excluded, except to the extent that the individual being monitored has direct access to the data, in a form useful for self-monitoring. Apps that extract data from an individual’s EHR and format and display those data on the individual’s self-monitoring device are covered in the report, but not EHRs per se. The latter are covered in BCC Research report HLC048D.
Additional, unique topics covered in this report include:
Self-tracking’s usability by target groups, such as seniors.
Vendor business models (e.g., Many self-tracking apps are free. How are vendors going to make money in this market?).
Structural impacts on the healthcare industry.
The study includes these major elements:
Overview (definitions, enabling technologies, market segmentation).
Market environment (demographic, economic, epidemiological, legal/ regulator, healthcare industry).
Major health self-monitoring platforms.
Health self-monitoring hubs.
- Chapter 1: Introduction
- Study Goals and Objectives
- Reasons for Doing This Study
- Scope of Report
- Information Sources
- Geographic Breakdown
- Analyst's Credentials
- Related BCC Research Reports
- Chapter 2: Summary and Highlights
- Chapter 3: Market and Technology Background
- Digital vs. Analog Monitoring Technologies
- Mobile vs. Portable Monitoring Technologies
- Self-testing vs. Self-monitoring
- Health vs. Sports and Fitness Monitoring
- Enabling Technologies
- Enhanced Data Processing Capabilities
- Geospatial Tracking
- Smart Textiles for Wearable Sensors
- Networking Technologies
- Cloud Services
- Market Segments
- Market Summary
- Chapter 4: Market Environment
- User Demographic and Socioeconomic Characteristics
- Legal/Regulatory Issues
- Regulatory Approval
- Chapter 5: Health Self-monitoring Platforms
- Major Platforms
- Apple HealthKit
- Google Fit
- Microsoft Band
- Samsung Digital Health Initiative
- Competitive Assessment
- Operating Systems
- Healthcare Partners
- Third-party Apps and Peripherals
- Chapter 6: Health Self- monitoring Peripherals
- Types of Peripherals
- Form Factors
- Compatible Mobile Device or Computer Operating Systems
- Compatible Self-monitoring Platforms
- Operating Systems
- Physiological Parameters Measured
- Current Research and Expected Future Developments
- Skin-mounted Sensors
- Smart Contact Lenses
- Tooth Sensor
- Weight-tracking Insoles
- Sensors for Mental Health Status
- Chapter 7: Health Self-monitoring Software Applications
- Types of Application Software
- Consumer vs. Healthcare Professional Apps
- Parameters Monitored
- Paid vs. Free Apps
- Operating Platforms
- Chapter 8: Patent Review/ New Developments
- Heart Rate Sensor with High-Aspect-Ratio Photodetector Element
- Personal Fatigue Risk Management System and Method
- Wrist-worn Electronic Device for Fitness Monitoring and Other Applications
- API for Requesting, Storing, and Otherwise Accessing Data within a Health Integration Network
- Wrist-Mounted Pulse Rate Indicator
- Chapter 9: Company Profiles
- Appendix: Health Self- monitoring Peripherals
- About BCC Research
- About BCC Research
- BCC Membership
- BCC Custom Research
- List of Tables
- Summary Table: Global Market for Selected Health Self-Monitoring Technologies, Through 2022 ($ Millions)
- Table 1 Global Market for Health Self-monitoring Technologies, by Type of Technology, Through 2022 ($ Millions)
- Table 2 Breakdown of Socioeconomic Characteristics of High-activation Individuals (%)
- Table 3 Breakdown of Health Characteristics of High-activation Individuals (%)
- Table 4 Breakdown of Socioeconomic Characteristics of Individuals Self-monitoring Their Blood Pressure (%)
- Table 5 Global Smartphone Shipments and Market Shares, by Operating System, 2017 and 2022 (Million Units/%)
- Table 6 Mobile Health Self-monitoring Platform User Base, Through 2022 (Million Users)
- Table 7 Number of Mobile Devices Running Health Self-monitoring Platforms, 2016
- Table 8 Global Market for Health and Fitness Self-monitoring Peripherals, by Segment, Through 2022 (Million Units/$ Millions)
- Table 9 Global Market for Self-monitoring Software Apps, through 2022 ($ Millions)
- Table 10 Selected U.S. Patents Related to Health Self-monitoring
- Table 11 Health Self-monitoring Peripherals, by Model
- List of Figures
- Summary Figure: Global Market for Selected Health Self-Monitoring Technologies, 2016-2022 ($ Millions)
- Figure 1 Self-monitoring Hub (Schematic)
- Figure 2 Global Market for Self-monitoring Technologies, 2016-2022 ($ Millions)
- Figure 3 Global Market for Health Self-monitoring Technologies, by Region, 2016-2022 ($ Millions)
- Figure 4 Global Smartphone Market Shares, by Operating System, 2017 and 2022 (% of Total Shipments)
- Figure 5 Global Market Share of Mobile Devices Running Health Self-monitoring Platforms, 2016 (%) 64
- Figure 6 Number of Fitness and Health Only vs. Multipurpose Peripherals, 2017 (%/Number of Units) 69
- Figure 7 Form Factors: Smartwatch vs. Wristband
- Figure 8 Form Factors: Arm vs. Wrist Cuff Blood Pressure Monitor
- Figure 9 Form Factors: Ear Clips vs. Ear Buds
- Figure 10 Form Factors: Sensor Shirt
- Figure 11 Fitness and Health Only and Multipurpose Peripherals, by Type of Form Factor (%/Units)
- Figure 12 Number of Peripherals, by Type of Device Supported, 2017 (Units)
- Figure 13 Number of Peripherals, by Compatible Self-monitoring Platform (Units)
- Figure 14 Number of Peripherals, by Operating System, 2017 (Units)
- Figure 15 Number of Peripherals that Contain Each Type of Sensor, 2017 (Units)
- Figure 16 Number of Peripherals that Measure Physiological Parameters, 2017 (Units, 241 Total)
- Figure 17 Global Market Shares of Major Peripheral Vendors, 2016 (% of Total Market Value)
- Figure 18 Global Market for Health and Fitness Self-monitoring Peripherals, 2016 (%)
- Figure 19 Breakdown of Consumer Self-monitoring vs. Professional Healthcare Apps, 2017 (%)
- Figure 20 Breakdown of iOS-compatible Consumer Health Apps, by Parameter Monitored, 2014 (Number/%)
- Figure 21 Number of Consumer Health Apps, by Functionality, 2014 (Number of Functions)
- Figure 22 Breakdown of Free vs. Fee-based Mobile Health Apps, 2014 (Number/%)