Kenya Data Center Market - Investment Analysis & Growth Opportunities 2022-2027
The Kenya data center market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 14.83% during 2022-2027.
Kenya is among the emerging markets in Africa. The increase in internet and social media penetration driven by COVID-19, deployment of 5G, improved inland connectivity, and low electricity and land prices make the country an attractive market for investors. Nairobi is the primary location for data center investment in Kenya, followed by Mombasa and other cities such as Butere and Masinga.
Hybrid cloud services are gaining increased traction in the nation. Most enterprises use private and public cloud environments to improve information sharing and efficiently manage data in the country. The increasing investment in renewable energy sources such as solar and wind will drive interest among operators to sign PPAs to procure renewable energy to power data center facilities in the country. Further, developing Special Economic Zones (SEZs), Free Trade Zones (FTZs), and smart city investments will also boost the Kenya data center market.
1. Kenya has around nine operational colocation data centers. Most colocation centers are designed according to Tier III standards. For instance, Safaricom’s Nairobi facility is Tier III certified by Uptime Institute for its design documents.
2. The COVID-19 impact and remote working have led to an increase in data generation at local levels. In addition, migration from on-premises to colocation, cloud, and managed services will boost the Kenya data center market.
3. Africa Data Centres, icolo.io (Digital Realty), and IXAfrica are among the top operators in the country. They have planned to increase their footprint with new facilities investments and expansion activities.
4. The data Protection Act, 2019 (DPA) is the data privacy law in Kenya that will protect the citizens' personal data confidentiality, boosting the Kenya data center market.
5. The country is also witnessing improvements in submarine and inland connectivity. For instance, 2Africa, the longest subsea cable, will connect Kenya with other countries such as South Africa, India, the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Spain, the U.K., Oman, and other countries.
6. The country’s government is developing the Konza National data center and smart city through the Konza Technopolis Development Authority (KoTDA) and will receive financing from Huawei.
WHY SHOULD YOU BUY THIS RESEARCH?
- Market size available in the investment, area, power capacity, and the Kenya colocation market revenue.
- An assessment of the investment in Kenya by colocation and enterprise operators.
- Investments in the area (square feet) and power capacity (MW) across locations in the country.
- A detailed study of the existing market landscape, an in-depth industry analysis, and insightful predictions about the Kenya data center market size during the forecast period.
- Snapshot of existing and upcoming third-party data center facilities in Kenya
- Facilities Covered (Existing): 09
- Facilities Identified (Upcoming): 04
- Coverage: 2+ Cities
- Existing vs. Upcoming (Area)
- Existing vs. Upcoming (IT Load Capacity)
- Data center colocation market in Kenya
- Market Revenue & Forecast (2021-2027)
- Wholesale vs. Retail Revenue & Forecast (2021-2027)
- Retail Colocation Pricing
- Wholesale Colocation Pricing
- The Kenya market landscape investments are classified into IT, power, cooling, and general construction services with sizing and forecast.
- A comprehensive analysis of the latest trends, growth rate, potential opportunities, growth restraints, and prospects for the industry.
- Business overview and product offerings of prominent IT infrastructure providers, construction contractors, support infrastructure providers, and investors operating in the industry.
- A transparent research methodology and the analysis of the demand and supply aspects of the market.
- Some of the vital colocation investors in the Kenya data center market in 2021 included Africa Data Centres, IXAfrica, Cloudoon, and icolo.io (Digital Realty).
- The country has also witnessed new market entrants increasing its regional footprint. Open Access Data Centers (OADC) is among the new entrants and has planned to develop two centers in Mombasa and Nairobi.
- Cloudoon, among the other new entrants, has announced its plan to build the largest green data center facility, Masinga Green Data Center (MAS101). The facility will be powered by solar power and hydroelectricity.
- Telecom operators such as Safaricom, Airtel Kenya, and Telkom Kenya have either deployed 5G technology in some cities on a trial basis or are launching commercial 5G services across the country.
IT Infrastructure Providers
- Arista Networks
- Cisco Systems
- Dell Technologies
- Hewlett Packard Enterprise
- Huawei Technologies
Data Center Construction Contractors & Sub-Contractors
- Chess Enterprises
- Copy Cat Group
- Eastra Solutions
- Gruppo ICM
- Kinetic Controls
- Norkun Intakes
- Remax Consult
- Tetra Tech
- Turner & Townsend
- Westwood Management
Support Infrastructure Providers
- Alfa Laval
- Delta Electronics
- Piller Power Systems
- Schneider Electric
Data Center Investors
- Africa Data Centres
- io (Digital Realty)
- Open Access Data Centres
EXISTING VS. UPCOMING DATA CENTERS
- Existing Facilities in the region (Area and Power Capacity)
- Other Cities (Mombasa, Butere, Masinga, and others)
- List of Upcoming Facilities in the region (Area and Power Capacity)
This report analyses the Kenya data center market share. It elaboratively analyses the existing and upcoming facilities and investments in IT, electrical, mechanical infrastructure, general construction, and tier standards. It discusses market sizing and investment estimation for different segments. The segmentation includes:
- IT Infrastructure
- Storage Systems
- Network Infrastructure
- Electrical Infrastructure
- UPS Systems
- Transfer Switches & Switchgears
- Other Electrical Infrastructure
- Mechanical Infrastructure
- Cooling Systems
- Rack Cabinets
- Other Mechanical Infrastructure
- Cooling Systems
- CRAC & CRAH Units
- Chiller Units
- Cooling Towers, Condensers & Dry Coolers
- Economizers & Evaporative Coolers
- Other Cooling Units
- General Construction
- Core & Shell Development
- Installation & commissioning Services
- Engineering & Building Design
- Fire Detection & Suppression Systems
- Physical Security
- Tier Standard
- Tier I & Tier II
- Tier III
- Tier IV
- Other Cities
KEY QUESTIONS ANSWERED
1. How big is the Kenya data center market?
2. How much MW of power capacity will be added across the Kenya data center market during 2022-2027?
3. What is the growth rate of the Kenya data center market?
4. How many data centers have been identified in Kenya?
5. What factors are driving the Kenya data center market?
6. Which all cities are included in the Kenya data center market report?