Paytm - Competitor ProfileSummary
Paytm is the leading alternative payment solution in India. Owned by One97 Communications, it initially began its operations as a prepaid mobile and direct-to-home (DTH) recharge platform in India in 2010. In 2014, the company launched Paytm Wallet, which can now be used for both online and in-store payments. Funds can be loaded to the wallet via online banking, debit cards, and credit cards. Initially used only on Paytm’s own online marketplace for ecommerce and bill payments, the wallet is now widely accepted at a number of other online merchant sites and apps. Paytm is among the leading companies in the Indian mobile wallet space, accounting for a 10.5% share of the country’s total ecommerce transaction value in 2022 as per GlobalData’s 2022 Financial Services Consumer Survey. In addition to online payments, Paytm is used for day-to-day offline transactions and is accepted across all merchant types, ranging from local grocery stores and street vendors to large retail brands such as Big Bazaar, Pantaloons, and Lifestyle.
As well as payments for purchases, the wallet can be used for P2P money transfers. In November 2017, Paytm integrated BHIM’s Unified Payments Interface (UPI) into its platform, enabling users to send and receive money between two bank accounts directly from their mobile phones. In January 2017, Paytm received approval from the central bank to launch as a payments bank, offering commercial banking services such as savings accounts, debit cards, and online banking.
In January 2022, Paytm launched its Tap to Pay feature, allowing users with NFC-enabled Android phones to make contactless payments by tapping their device against contactless POS terminals.
The report provides information and insights into Paytm including -
- Detailed insight into its business
- Comprehensive coverage of its products and services
- Comparative assessment with key alternative payment solutions
- Information on its Revenue Model and Performance Highlights
- The company's important events and milestones
Reasons to Buy
- In August 2010, Paytm launched as a mobile and DTH recharge platform by One97 Communications.
- In July 2015, Paytm introduced P2P money transfers, allowing users to transfer money to anyone using Paytm Wallet.
- In November 2017, Paytm introduced BHIM to its payment app, enabling users to make P2P transfers in real-time via the UPI payment system.
- In April 2020, Paytm launched contactless in-store ordering service, enabling users to scan a unique QR code at restaurants and place orders via the Paytm app.
- In February 2023, Paytm launched UPI Lite in collaboration with the NPCI, enabling users to make low-value UPI purchases for daily essentials such as groceries without needing to enter their PIN.
- Gain insights into Paytm business operations and key events.
- Gain insights into its product portfolio, revenue model and performance highlights.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the alternative payments industry by comparing its performance against competitors.
- Performance Highlights
- Revenue Model
- Factors Behind Success
- Products and Services
- Significant Events
- Supporting Merchants
- Supporting Service Providers