Payments in Hong Kong 2017: What Consumers Want?
Hong Kong is a global financial hub, with few regulatory barriers for foreign banks and card payment participants, thereby encouraging banks from Mainland China and other overseas markets to expand into the Special Administrative Region. Hong Kong represents a mature payment card market in Asia, with 25 Million payment cards in issue and a population of just over 7 Million. Payment cards are the second-most popular payment instrument in Hong Kong, accounting for 22.4% of the payment transaction volume in 2017. Growth in the Hong Kong payment card market is driven by pay-later cards, which accounted for 76.4% of the total payment cards market in terms of transaction volume in 2017.
Banks offer multi-currency payment cards to capitalize on the increasing cross-border trade between Hong Kong and Mainland China, and the fast-growing Chinese population working and studying in Hong Kong. The cards can be used to conduct transactions in local and Chinese currencies. Expenses in Hong Kong and overseas are settled in the local currency, while those made in Mainland China are settled in yuan.
Hong Kong represents a HK$112.2bn e-commerce market. High internet and smartphone penetration have positioned the country to see strong growth in e-commerce. Credit cards are the number one payment tool for e-commerce, with 43% of consumers highlighting its convenience. Cash and cheque payments still form a sizable part of this market (11%).
Octopus - which is among the world’s first contactless cards - is one of the most-used smart cards in Hong Kong. As of December 2016, 32.8 Million Octopus cards were in circulation in Hong Kong - around four times its population. The Octopus Card, which was initially launched for public transport, is now widely accepted at convenience stores, restaurants, and supermarkets in Hong Kong.
The report Payments in Hong Kong 2017: What Consumers Want?, examines the consumer payments market in Hong Kong, considering payment cards, online payments, P2P payments, and newer payment technologies such as mobile wallets and contactless.
Specifically, this report allows the following -
Companies mentioned in this report:
- Analyzes consumer attitudes to financial services by lifestage.
- Analyzes the major payment card types in terms of both card holding and usage.
- Identifies the major competitors in card issuing and how their position in the market has changed over the last five years.
- Considers consumer attitudes towards P2P tools, mobile payment tools, and contactless cards, and how companies in Hong Kong are deploying these tools to meet customer needs.
- Explores the online payment market in Hong Kong by merchant type and payment tool, as well as providing a five-year forecast for the development of the market.
Visa, Mastercard, American Express, Diners Club, CUP, EPS, DBS, HSBC, BEA, Citibank, Standard Chartered, Bank of China (Hong Kong)Scope
Reasons to buy
- While cash remains an important traditional payment tool in Hong Kong, cards will be used more frequently as the move to non-cash payments accelerates. Growth in Hong Kong payment card market is anticipated to be driven by pay-later card, which accounted for 76.4% of the total payment cards market in terms of transaction volume in 2017.
- The e-commerce market recorded a significant growth, which is driven by an increase in mobile internet penetration as well as the emerging young and urban population, and rising consumer preference for online shopping.
- Hong Kong payment card market embraced several mobile proximity payment solutions including QuickPass and Samsung Pay in 2017.
- Understand the key facts and figures in the consumer payments market in Hong Kong.
- Learn what trends drive consumer behavior at the macro level and plan your strategy accordingly.
- Find out what products the major competitors are launching in the market.
- Discover consumer sentiments towards various payment tools in Hong Kong market and use this knowledge to inform product design.
- MARKET OVERVIEW
- MEGATRENDS: LIFESTAGE ANALYSIS
- CARD-BASED PAYMENTS
- PAYMENT CARDS: MARKET SIZING AND FORECASTING
- PAYMENT CARDS: MARKET BY MERCHANT TYPE
- DEBIT CARDS: MARKET SIZING AND FORECASTING
- DEBIT CARDS: SCHEMES
- DEBIT CARDS: ISSUERS
- PAY-LATER CARDS: MARKET SIZING AND FORECASTING
- PAY-LATER CARDS: SCHEMES
- PAY-LATER CARDS: ISSUERS
- PAYMENT CARDS: CREDIT CARD DEBT
- PREPAID CARDS: MARKET SIZING AND FORECASTING
- CONTACTLESS CARDS: CARD HOLDING
- E-COMMERCE PAYMENTS
- E-COMMERCE: MARKET SIZING & FORECASTING
- E-COMMERCE: MARKET BY MERCHANT CATEGORY
- E-COMMERCE: MARKET BY PAYMENT TOOL
- ALTERNATIVE PAYMENTS
- ALTERNATIVE PAYMENTS: P2P PAYMENTS
- ALTERNATIVE PAYMENTS: KEY DEVELOPMENTS
- PAYMENTS INFRASTRUCTURE & REGULATION
- POS TERMINALS & ATMS
- REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT
- Abbreviations, acronyms, and definitions