Blockchain in Retail Banking - Thematic Research
Blockchain technology, often referred to as distributed ledger technology (DLT), is a means by which the participants in a distributed network can each maintain a copy of an immutable ledger of transactions and where transactions can be executed without the need for a single, central, coordinating authority. This ability to execute transactions effectively without the presence of a central authority is regarded by many as the chief benefit of blockchain technology, as it creates the promise that organizations will be able to transact business with one another without being subject to third-party control.
In banking, this disintermediation has serious ramifications for billions of dollars of global business. DLT could enable two parties to transact without requiring a third party for oversight or intermediation, reducing counterparty risk and arbitrage, as well as the role of ‘parasitic’ supporting entities that act as bottlenecks and profit from opacity in the system.
This promises to reduce overheads and greatly reduce transaction fees, decrease the number of stages and the number of organizations involved in a transaction (thereby reducing the chance of errors), while enabling faster transactions, 24 hours a day, seven days a week (in contrast to current interbank transactions that can take days for final clearing and settlement).
Reasons to buy
- This report analyses the impact of blockchain in retail banking.
- It discusses the benefits and uses of blockchain in banking.
- It identifies the current leaders and companies looking vulnerable in the blockchain technology theme.
- The report highlights some of the key players in the blockchain industry.
- It discusses some of the key trends in blockchain technology.
- The report explains the blockchain value chain by use case.
- It provides an industry analysis, explaining the fundamental challenges DLT faces and the adoption of the technology.
- The report also analyses the impact of blockchain on retail banking, offering key recommendations for retail banks and IT vendors.
- It provides a technology briefing to explain the evolution of the blockchain technology and how it works.
- Blockchain industry trends
- Blockchain use case trends
- Blockchain trends in retail banking
- VALUE CHAIN
- Asset registries
- Financial services platforms
- Industrial platforms
- INDUSTRY ANALYSIS
- Permissioned DLT networks insert a degree of trust into the equation
- Commercial blockchains are at least five years away
- DLT faces several fundamental technical challenges
- What are the primary use cases for blockchain technology?
- Land registries
- Digital fiat currencies
- Smart grid
- Commodity trading
- IMPACT OF BLOCKCHAIN ON RETAIL BANKING
- Key recommendations for retail banks
- Key recommendations for IT vendors
- COMPANIES SECTION
- Public tech and financial services companies
- Private tech companies
- Retail banking companies
- TECHNOLOGY BRIEFING
- How has blockchain technology developed over the last decade?
- How does blockchain work?
- APPENDIX: OUR “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY