U.S. Compact Construction Equipment Market - Strategic Assessment & Forecast 2023-2029
The U.S. compact construction equipment market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 4.64% from 2022-2028.
- Track loaders accounted for the largest market share of the U.S. compact construction equipment market in 2022. Construction industry end-users accounted for the largest share of compact construction equipment in the United States. Compact track loaders are growing rapidly in the U.S. compact construction equipment market. This equipment is versatile & can operate on rough & muddy surfaces with great accuracy.
- Infrastructure upgradation projects such as the renovation of commercial buildings, railway stations, airports, repair of runways, and extension of roadways & bridges in rural parts of the country drive the U.S. compact construction equipment market.
- The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced an expenditure of USD 3 billion for 3,075 U.S. airports to improve their terminals. The US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), on the other hand, floated USD 3.9 billion to improve supply chains and strengthen ports and waterways. It includes over 16 construction projects across 10 states.
- The growth in the country’s E-commerce industry prompts investment in warehouse expansion in the U.S. industry. The surge in warehouse expansion projects supports the sales of compact forklifts & telehandlers in the U.S. compact construction equipment market.
MARKET TRENDS & DRIVERS
Surge in Government Investment for Upgrading Infrastructure
- The U.S. government is investing in the construction sector to strengthen economic activities & employment. The U.S. Department of Transportation invested USD 906 million for redevelopment projects across the country under the Infrastructure for Rebuilding America program in 2022. Compact construction equipment is an idle choice for repair and redevelopment projects in the cities as it can operate in confined places.
- The government planned twenty projects in different states to improve major highways, bridges, ports & railroads across the country. The U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Transit Administration announced USD 400 million in 2022 for transits in Arizona, Indiana, Missouri & New Jersey.
Investments Under the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law Propel Demand for Compact Equipment
- In 2021, the Biden government signed the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (BIL), which focused on promoting the country’s infrastructure and competitiveness by rebuilding roads, bridges, ports, and airports in 2022-2026. It also included upgrading rail systems and providing cleaner and cheaper energy.
- In addition, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) announced an expenditure of USD 3 billion for 3,075 airports across the US to improve terminals. The US Army Corps of Engineers (USACE), on the other hand, floated USD 3.9 billion to improve supply chains and strengthen ports and waterways. It includes over 16 construction projects across 10 states.
Labor Shortage Triggers the Demand for Automated Compact Equipment in the U.S. Compact Construction Equipment Market
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the U.S. construction industry had approximately 440,000 job openings in April 2022. The investment announced through the Infrastructure Bill in 2021 requires over 300,000 laborers each year to meet the goal of rebuilding infrastructure projects. Furthermore, the Bill spending is expected to start in 2023 and continue till 2033. It has been estimated that the contractor's segment would witness a shortfall of 160,000 workers, whereas the materials sector would experience a scarcity of 145,000 workers and 40,000 workers in the engineering sector.
Landscaping & Gardening Trigger Use of Compact Track Loader
The demand for track loaders in the U.S. compact construction equipment market has grown sharply recently. The equipment can better hold the ground on rough terrain than other compact equipment. Track loaders are versatile equipment that can be used with various attachments and efficiently apply digging & material handling. This equipment puts low pressure on the ground. Therefore, it can be used on muddy and unpaved surfaces. There is a rise in gardening and landscaping activities post-pandemic in the U.S. According to National Gardening Association data; there were 18.3 million new gardeners added in 2021.
High Mortgage Rates to Restrict Residential Construction Demand
Residential construction in the country declined to its lowest in 2022 due to high mortgage rates and increased construction material prices. In October 2022, the average interest rate was 7.06%, and the house prices reached USD 525,000, a 40% increase compared to 2020. The Federal Reserve further predicted the mortgage rates to be at 4.6% in 2023, comparatively higher than the pre-pandemic levels. Moreover, high rates have crushed house demand because buyers must pay more for mortgages. The mortgage application declined by 38%, the lowest in 25 years.
Warehouse Shrinkage in the U.S. Expects to Restrict U.S. Compact Construction Equipment Market Growth
The U.S. warehouse development is expected to slow down in 2023. Therefore, U.S. industrial and leasing activities are set to decline between 10% and 15% during the same period. The average warehouse vacancy rate increased to 3.2% in the second quarter of 2022. Rent rates in the warehousing sector have increased drastically due to increasing labor costs. The rent of warehouses near the ports has increased. For instance, the Southern California Inland Empire rent increased by 24% in 2022. The shortage of warehouses is expected to disrupt the logistics sector. In September 2022, Amazon canceled its plans to build a dozen warehouses across the United States.
Segmentation by Type
- Backhoe Loaders
- Wheel Loaders
- Track Loaders
- Skid Steer Loaders
- Aerial Platforms
Segmentation by Application
- Material Handling
- Maintenance & Utility Works
- Waste Management
Segmentation by End Users
- Warehouse & Logistics
- Others (Maintenance & Utility Works, Landscaping, Power Generation)
- Caterpillar, Hitachi Construction Machinery, John Deere, SANY, Komatsu, and Volvo CE are leaders in the U.S. compact construction equipment market. These companies have a strong industry share and offer diverse sets of equipment.
- Manitou, Kubota, Liebherr, Bobcat, & Toyota Material Handling are niche market players. These companies offer low product diversification and have a strong presence in the local U.S. compact construction equipment market.
- Xuzhou Construction Machinery Group Co. Ltd. (XCMG)
- Volvo Construction Equipment
- Hitachi Construction Machinery
- Hyundai Construction Equipment
- John Deere
- Zoomlion Heavy Industry Science & Technology Co. Ltd
Other Prominent Vendors
- Toyota Material Handling
- Terex Corporation
- National Equipment Dealers
- Equipment USA
- Kirby-Smith Machinery INC
- Mico Equipment
- My Equipment
KEY QUESTIONS ANSWERED:
1. How big is the U.S. compact construction equipment market?
2. What is the growth rate of the U.S. compact construction equipment market?
3. Who are the key players in the U.S. compact construction equipment market?
4. What are the trends in the U.S. compact construction equipment market?
5. Which are the major distributor companies in the U.S. compact construction equipment market?