Quantum Cascade Lasers Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025)
The quantum cascade lasers market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.2% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Quantum cascade lasers are semiconductor lasers which offer peak emission in the mid-IR range (4 μm to 10 μm). These devices are a great light source for mid-IR applications, such as molecular gas analysis and absorption spectroscopy.
- The growing need for precision in the medical activities is majorly driving this market. With the ever-increasing intervention of technology in the medical field, all the processes are being tried to perform in a more precise and accurate way.
- The increased adoption of gas sensing and chemical detection applications in the military and defense sector is driving this market significantly. The increasing expenditures on the department of military and defense signify the importance of precision and accuracy in their activities to achieve excellent efficiencies in their processes.
- The enormous cost associated with the quantum cascade lasers is restraining the market growth. The significant upfront investment is required to adopt this technology.
Scope of the Report
Quantum cascade lasers (QCLs) are semiconductor lasers which emit in the mid- to far-infrared portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. It was first demonstrated by Jerome Faist, Federico Capasso, Deborah Sivco, Carlo Sirtori, Albert Hutchinson, and Alfred Cho at Bell Laboratories in 1994. QCLs are unipolar, and laser emission is accomplished through the application of intersubband transitions in a repeated stack of semiconductor multiple quantum well heterostructures.
Key Market Trends
Military & Defense is Expected to Have a Major Market Share.
The rise in demand for the varied product requirements for aircraft platforms has increased over the past years. This includes reduced size, weight, power consumption and cost that extends to portable and battery-powered handheld products. Quantum Cascade Laser(QCL) technology operates throughout the mid-wave and long-wave infrared to provide new inclinations that leverage existing thermal imaging camera technology.
In addition to their appropriateness for aircraft platforms, QCL products are a natural fit to match operator demands for small, lightweight pointer and beacon capabilities. Field-testing of high power, lightweight, battery operated devices has displayed their efficacy across a range of air and ground applications.
In Association of the United States Army Annual Meeting & Exposition in Washington, D.C. CIRCM used a laser to combine the seekers used by missiles that possess infrared homing devices in their tips. The Navy and Army see defenses as the prospective replacement technology for their helicopters, which are especially vulnerable to heat-seeking missiles.
North America is Expected to Have a Major Market Share.
With the increased applications of quantum cascade lasers in the detection of the explosives, it is penetrating in the military and defense market space aggressively. The massive expenditure on Military and defense sector in the United States points towards the fact that the main focus is on precision and quality of functions performed which can be achieved with the help of quantum cascade lasers.
Gases and vapors possess characteristic chemical absorption "fingerprints," that are incomparable to their respective chemical structures. If a quantum-cascade laser is directed above a smokestack, the laser's wavelength can be harmonized to match a "fingerprint" wavelength in the air overhead the smokestack. Based on the fingerprint, the possibility of a specific pollutant's emissions can be determined. The QC laser is popularly used as a source of radiation for chemical sensing and spectroscopy.
Typical commercial applications of QC lasers include trace gas analysis and pollution monitoring. With increasing government regulations in the United States in consideration of the pollution, quantum cascade lasers can act as a prominent source which can facilitate the detection. QC lasers are finding applications in the Food and Beverage industry.
Food and beverage industry in the United States has noticed a significant growth in the past years. This industry has continuously focussed on freshness and safety of their products. Emerson’s Rosemount CT4215 Packaging Leak Detection System fits perfectly into existing production processes and can measure up to 200 packs per minute. It makes use of a quantum cascade laser to assess every item leaving a production line and facilitates detection of trace gases from defective packaging, and instantly reject faulty products.
The quantum cascade lasers market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, none of the major players currently dominate the market. The manufacturers are getting involved in differentiated manufacturing processes in order to gain a competitive advantage.
- January 2019 - MirSense company has entered the market of gas analysis with a product innovation that combines high performance (sub-ppm detection limits), small dimension (the size of a matchbox) and good cost-benefit ratio. Their product, multiSense, combines two technological bricks: infrared quantum cascade lasers (QCL) and a heated photoacoustic cell.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
This publisher does offer titles that are created upon receipt of order. If you are purchasing a PDF Email Delivery option above, the report will take approximately 2 business days to prepare and deliver.