MEMS Accelerometer and Gyroscope Market - Growth, Trends, and Forecast (2020 - 2025)
MEMS accelerometers & gyroscopes are being desegregated into a number of personal electronic gadgets such as smartphones, media players, and gaming consoles. These devices are also utilized in airbags to open them swiftly in case of an accident. Technological advancements have played an indispensable role in the development of MEMS accelerometer and gyroscope. Accelerating adoption of motion sensors in several handheld devices including tablets, notebooks, and smartphones is one of the major factor driving the growth prospects of the market. Increasing penetration of interactive motion gaming industry is another prominent factor facilitating the growth of MEMS accelerometer and gyroscope market across the globe.
- Accelerometers & Gyroscopes are principally used in motion and people sensing purposes. The intensifying necessity for producing advanced applications in mobile devices has heightened the demand for MEMS accelerometers and gyroscope. Furthermore, based on the end-use vertical, consumer electronics vertical led the market in 2019. The outgrowth of this segment majorly attributed to the extensive use and recognition of wearable as well as handheld gadgets.
- The MEMS accelerometer and gyroscope market is largely encouraged by enhanced defense expenditure, across the world. For instance, global military spending remains very high at USD1.7 trillion (SIPRI), as a result with improved expenditure, the several military organizations are poised to use the most advanced technology in order to heighten efficiency.
- The surge in demand for wearable electronics, high adoption of internet of things (IoT), and intensification in demand for unmanned vehicles (UAVs, UGVs, UUVs) generate further opportunities in the market.
Scope of the Report
A microelectromechanical system (MEMS) accelerometer is a sensor that concocts physical acceleration sensed by any object, owing to inertial forces or automated and programmed excitation. It is an electromechanical machine that calibrates acceleration forces and a MEMS gyroscope is a tool or a device used to control the angular movement of a mechanical object.
Key Market Trends
The Automotive and Consumer Electronics Vertical is to Drive the Market
- Microelectromechanical systems (MEMS) based sensors (Accelerometer and Gyroscope) have been in continuation for decades, reaching mass-market penetration in a few applications such as medical pressure sensors and airbag accelerometers. Automotive applications for accelerometers include roll overdetection, airbags, electronic stability control, security systems, navigation, and active suspension. Gyroscopes are utilized in stability control systems, GPS navigation systems, and anti-rollover systems.
- One of the principal growth drivers for these MEMS sensors in the automotive market will be the electronic stability control (ESC) systems segment. These systems employ three sensors - an accelerometer, a gyroscope, and a steering angle sensor - to recognize any flaw between the driver's intention and the vehicle's exact motion. In case of a variation, the system intervenes to control the vehicle.
- When a notebook is dropped, MEMS accelerometers guard a computer's hard disk by recognizing the fall and indicating the hard drive to park its read head harmlessly. To this end, companies such as Toshiba, IBM, and Apple have included accelerometers into their higher-end notebook computer designs. The trend toward larger-capacity hard disk drives included into smaller products is compelling business participants to consider accelerometers as a method of avoiding data loss.
- Mobile phones are increasingly utilized for more than just communication—they can also act as digital cameras, music players, and gaming devices. Accelerometers in mobile phones are utilized to provide shock detection, image stability, text scroll, menu navigation, silent mode activation, gaming control, and motion dialing, among others. MEMS gyroscopes have the potential to add value to consumer electronics gadgets by providing pedestrian navigation, image stabilization, and improved user interfaces.
North America Holds a Dominant Market Share
- The North American Accelerometer and Gyroscope Market is expected to grow at the highest CAGR, owing to the presence of several developed nations, which have high military spending and also, rise in use of Internet of Things (IoT).
- Principally, the government regulations in North America drive the demand for automobile safety features that range from passive to integrated active and passive safety systems. These developments are driving heightened demand for applications, such as tire pressure monitoring, occupant detection, electronic stability control, and advanced driver assistant systems.
- The U.S. market for ESC systems is being driven by two factors. First, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is encouraging car manufacturers to adopt stability control systems and is exploring the option to make them mandatory. Second, car manufacturers are using safety for competitive advantage. This could be reached earlier if regulations are passed mandating the compulsory installation of these systems.
- Gyroscope technologies are principally being developed in the North American region. Driven by government regulations for safety and emissions, the influx of high-end options in modern vehicles by significant automobile manufacturers and consumer demand for safety, infotainment applications, comfort, and fuel efficiency, automotive electronics content per vehicle is on the rise. As the electronics content is growing in automobiles, the number of automotive sensors used in vehicles is also rising.
The MEMS Accelerometer and Gyroscope is moderately fragmented owing to the presence of regional as well as global tech giants. The firms are focusing on strengthening and establishing their product portfolio with the adoption of various strategies including innovative product developments, mergers, partnerships, and acquisitions, etc. in order to gain a competitive edge over other players.
- January 2019 - Kionix announced the KX13x Series, a new product family of accelerometers designed to meet the needs of a wide range of applications. The product improves the capability to accurately detect events and conditions.
- January 2019 - Bosch Sensortec announced the BMI270, an ultra-low-power smart Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) specifically targeted at wearable applications. It offers a strongly improved accelerometer offset and sensitivity performance, enabled by the newest Bosch MEMS process technology.
- January 2018 - STMicroelectronics along with USound delivered the first advanced MEMS silicon micro-speakers. The speakers are very small in size and less than half of the weight of conventional speakers. MEMS silicon micro-speakers are bound to enable wearable devices including over-the-ear headphones, earphones, and AR/VR headgears to become more comfortable and compact. The low power consumption of the speakers saves extra size and weight by allowing the use of smaller batteries.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support
This publisher does offer titles that are created upon receipt of order. If you are purchasing a PDF Email Delivery option above, the report will take approximately 2 business days to prepare and deliver.
- 1 INTRODUCTION
- 1.1 Study Deliverables
- 1.2 Study Assumptions
- 1.3 Scope of the Study
- 2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- 3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- 4 MARKET DYNAMICS
- 4.1 Market Overview
- 4.2 Introduction to Market Drivers and Restraints
- 4.3 Market Drivers
- 4.3.1 Increased Defense Expenditure
- 4.3.2 Adoption of Automation in Industries and Homes
- 4.4 Market Restraints
- 4.4.1 High Up-front Adoption Costs
- 4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
- 4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
- 4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
- 4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
- 4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
- 4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
- 5 MARKET SEGMENTATION
- 5.1 By Application
- 5.1.1 Consumer Electronics
- 5.1.2 Automotive
- 5.1.3 Aerospace & Defense
- 5.1.4 Other Applications
- 5.2 Geography
- 5.2.1 North America
- 5.2.2 Europe
- 5.2.3 Asia Pacific
- 5.2.4 Rest of the World
- 6 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
- 6.1 Company Profiles
- 6.1.1 Analog Devices Inc.
- 6.1.2 Bosch Sensortec GmbH
- 6.1.3 Honeywell International Inc.
- 6.1.4 Microchip Technology, Inc.
- 6.1.5 Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd.
- 6.1.6 NXP Semiconductors
- 6.1.7 STMicroelectronics N.V.
- 6.1.8 InvenSense Inc. (TDK)
- 6.1.9 KIONIX Inc. (ROHM)
- 6.1.10 Northrop Grumman Litef Gmbh
- 7 INVESTMENT ANALYSIS
- 8 MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND FUTURE TRENDS