HPC User Site Census – Storage Suppliers
This report, part of our HPC User Site Census series, provides an examination of the suppliers of storage
systems installed in a sample of High Performance Computing (HPC) user sites. Intersect360 Research
surveyed a broad range of users about their current computer system installations, storage systems, networks,
middleware, and supporting software. The resulting data is presented in a series of reports throughout the
year, each describing different aspects of the HPC end-user landscape.
Key findings of the survey include the following:
- Storage capacity continues its onward and upward trend. Aggregate site-level storage capacity reported at 385 sites reached 1.9 exabytes, about two and a half times the site-level storage capacity reported in 2012.
- Installations of petabyte or larger storage systems are increasing and account for 31% of all storage systems reported. The top three most frequently reported capacities were two petabytes, one petabyte, and 100 terabytes.
- DataDirect Networks (DDN) had the largest share with 13.9% of survey responses, followed by IBM with 11.8%. All other suppliers had less than 10% share of reported storage systems. No vendor
dominated every sector, region or capacity.
- About 4.7% of the reported storage systems were identified as cloud-based systems, including both public and private cloud.
- EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
- TABLE OF CONTENTS
- TECHNOLOGIES COVERED IN THIS REPORT
- RESULTS AND ANALYSIS
- Site-Level Storage Systems by Supplier
- Cloud Storage Suppliers
- Site-Level Storage Systems by Supplier and by Sector
- Site-Level Storage Systems by Supplier and by Region
- Site-Level Storage Systems by Supplier and by Capacity
- APPENDIX A: STORAGE SUPPLIERS INSTALLED AT HPC SITES
- APPENDIX B: METHODOLOGY NOTES