IoT in Logistics: Technologies and Usage Cases - Smart logistics for smarter supply chain
In the logistics sector, keeping track of the current location of the vehicle and parcel has always been a major challenge. Consequently, Internet of Things (loT) is redefining next-generation logistics and fleet management with its ubiquitously connecting capabilities. loT can enable logistics organizations.to accomplish transparency, efficiency, maintenance, automation, and cost optimization all throughout supply chain processes.
The global loT devices market in the logistics sector is expected to grow from US$90 million in 2015 to US$2,438 million by 2020, growing at a CAGR of 93.5% from 2016 to 2020. During the same period, the number of loT connections within the industry is expected to increase from 15 million to 255.5 million by 2020.
The North America region is the dear leader when it comes to loT software and services revenue in the logistics sector with more than 50% of the revenue coming from this region in 2015. Asia-Pacific and Western Europe are the second and third largest regions with combined revenue of more than US $184 million in 2015.
Technological advancements are opening up a range of new opportunities for logistics companies, as loT solutions for the logistics sector are more affordable and useful. loT is playing a great role in logistics by tracking and tracing the products to provide complete visibility into operation and monitor everything in real -time.
Integration of loT and big data in logistics is expected to be a game changer which can enhance the accuracy of their demand forecasts, discover new demand patterns, and develop new services by sharing data with partners across the supply chain. In addition, they can increases asset uptime and throughput, engage in preventive maintenance and conduct real-time supply planning - utilizing dynamic data feeds from production sensors and the loT.
The report IoT in Logistics: Technologies and Usage Cases, is an attempt to analyze the key trends expected to impact the Logistics industry and its various stakeholders in 2018.
Reasons to buy
- Overview of the technology and its relevance in the verticals.
- Key challenges faced by the industry verticals (logistic) pertinent to its technology (Internet of Things) implementation.
- Elaborate overview of growth drivers that affecting the technology growth.
- Key industry players and their products as well as solutions.
- It helps the reader to understand the internet of thing (IoT) market landscape in the logistics industry, the recent trends, and challenges.
- Extensive technology growth predictions based on adoption indicators, end-user technology demand, GlobalData’s in-house ICT survey results, and macroeconomic factors.
- The report provides a detailed breakdown of the opportunities within the IoT segment and its sub categories.
- In a nutshell
- Table Figure 1: Key highlights in the logistics sector
- Background: business challenges
- Table Figure 2: Challenges faced by logistics in delivering IoT projects
- IoT technologies and opportunities
- Real-time fleet management
- Predictive maintenance
- Warehouse management
- Logistics usage cases
- Table Figure 3: Use cases frequency in the logistics industry
- NB-IoT technology for DHL supply chain
- Digital transformation of the Port of Rotterdam
- Leveraging digital solutions to transform cargo handling operation of Cargotec
- Market size and forecast
- Logistics IoT connections
- Table Figure 4: Logistics - Number of global connections by type of connectivity, millions (m)
- Table IoT connections in logistics - global forecast by type of connectivity, millions (m)
- Logistics IoT devices revenue snapshot
- Table Figure 5: Logistics - global IoT devices revenue forecasts, US$ million
- Table Logistics - global IoT devices revenue forecasts, US$ million
- Logistics IoT software and services revenue snapshot
- Table Figure 6: IoT software and services in logistics - market breakdown by region
- Table IoT software and services in logistics - global forecast by region, US$ million
- Key market drivers and inhibitors
- Table Figure 7: Key market drivers and inhibitors impacting the IoT adoption in the logistics market
- Key market drivers
- Key inhibitors
- Vendor landscape
- Table Figure 8: Key investment areas of future infrastructure amongst logistics organizations
- MiX Telematics specialized IoT solutions
- Kore's M2M solutions for logistics control
- AT&T's IoT industry solutions
- Logistics-specific IoT solution vendors
- Table Vendors supplying IoT solutions within the logistics industry
- Future outlook
- Assimilation of IoT and big data in logistics can change the game
- Further reading
- Contact the authors
- Contact Us